Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 21, 2007

Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-09-2007, 11:09 AM Reply   
I'm looking to set up a trip for a group of family and friends to Lake Powell next year around May. I'm wondering what might be the best place to stay, hopefully on the lake where we can keep the boats in the water. We'll probably have 3 - 4 boats and maybe 20 - 25 adults, 3-4 kids and a couple dogs. Anybody have some good suggestions. We'll probably stay for a week. Any suggestions for place to stay, places to go other than the lake or other things to consider for the area. Thanks all.
Old     (factory)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-09-2007, 11:48 AM Reply   
rent a house boat.
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-09-2007, 11:54 AM Reply   
Yeah, I think we kind of want to find some resort to stay in. A little more comfortable with all the people, kids and dogs. More relaxing and less camping style.
Old     (iman21)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-09-2007, 12:01 PM Reply   
Renting a house boat is the only way to go. Look into http://www.antelopepointlakepowell.com/ since the CRC will most likely be unavailable and you'll cut 1-1.5 hrs off your trip, make sure you stay the night before and try and reserve the pre-boarding option. Having a jet ski available is nice because you can use that to scout out your camp site ahead of your house boat (you can also use a boat). Bring lots and lots of money for gas...
Old     (iman21)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-09-2007, 12:04 PM Reply   
http://www.lakepowell.com/lodging_rates.php Right on the water, boat slips, kids stuff not sure about the dogs though
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-10-2007, 2:06 AM Reply   
There is nothing around Lake Powell except Lake Powell. I guess there is Page....assuming you will be going to the Wahweap side.... But like I said before....there is just Powell.

Yep....rent a houseboat, AP is a nice option now with the lake so low.... Saves you going through(along with your other boats) the back side(past AP from Wahweap Marina). That is assuming that you do.....which is not "required" but preferred.

Houseboat rates are steep.....but split between 25 adults and then breaking up food, it doesn't end up being that bad at all.

NEVER underestimate your need for GAS, WATER and ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES.
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-10-2007, 11:49 AM Reply   
wahweap area: lone rock camping. large beach good for swiming, and parking youre 100000 rv next to youre 50000 boat and watching their values drop. I would consider this to be a "jet ski" beach. I have seen groups of wake boats there. It is at the end of wahweap bay which limits the water you can acess with out passing wahweap marina then the "narrows" and antelpoe point.
Bullfrog: Bullfrog beach north(may still be closed due to water level. Stanton creek area. not one straight beach, so you can be some what in an area alone. drive youre camp(may require 4x4) and park your boat ten feet away. By boat it is five mins from halls crossing marina and bullfrog. It is at the mouth of bullfrog bay, which means five mins and you are up lake to some great areas and water. all areas within 100 yards( I think) of water and further than 100 yards form an estiblished rest room must have and know how to opperate a porta poty. There are rest rooms at all the above sites, but they are all placed above full pool, which can be a hike now.
Old     (drewsy)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-12-2007, 10:48 AM Reply   
There is a motel at Bullfrog.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-12-2007, 11:09 AM Reply   
Seriously the houseboats are the only way to go. Trust me it is the most amazing vacation you will ever take. It is so fun getting away from the masses and finding a giant empty cove & exploring a narrow finger until it stops. With that many people the houseboats are luxurious, A/C and amenities for days. Look into, you will regret it if you stay land locked.
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-12-2007, 11:12 AM Reply   
there are lodges at both bullfrog and wahweap. seasonal availibility at both. Make reservations.
Old     (ballsdeep)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-12-2007, 2:37 PM Reply   
How did you obtain that adult-kid ratio?
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-12-2007, 3:40 PM Reply   
Wife and I only have 1 son, another couple only has 1, Another couple has 2. That's 6 adults. and 4 kids. Then the rest just don't have kids...yet. Most married within the last few years. You know when you reach around 30 years old and it seems like everyone is getting married. That's us. Every year at least 1 or 2 weddings to attend. Plus or minus. Still have a couple singles holding out, or trying to renegotiate their contract...
Old     (ldc)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-13-2007, 3:48 PM Reply   
We are staying at a family unit=trailer in bullfrog, sleeps 8 adults and i believe pets are allowed. We also have two boat slips reserved at the marine. Its alot cheaper than a houseboat. For 5days with slip rentals came out to $240 a couple. We will be there the first weekend of June, maybe we'll see you there.

dc
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-13-2007, 4:48 PM Reply   
am from Lake Powell (Now Utah going to school), Arizona side... despite this i don't know the lake well, especially since i usually put the boat in board then rush home to "wash the fish pee off" (as my brother used to say) If you are looking to be attached to amenities and do not wish to ESCAPE from it all and still have access to every day life i would suggest going to Wahweap or Antelope marina. These are the main marinas and are closest to civilization... well... if you can call a touristy trapish town of 8,000 people and three streetlights civilization, BUT HEY, its civilized enough for a wal-mart.

I guess i cant say that Page, (my home town) has ALL the amenities, but it is better than anywhere else near powell

OF the two marinas i would recomend Antelope. They are new and may lack some things, but it is nice and is a bit closer to town for that "civilized" convenience. If the lake is still low and you cant cross directly from wahweap bay to warm creek, then i would deffinately recomend antelope point marina because it will cut traffic time up the channel by at least 1/2 hour or more... believe me it is a pain, especially in hightened season

If you like mexican food, go to "fiesta Mexicana" in page
for italian- "Stromboli's" and/or "Belenapoli"
for unique fast food diner - "RD's" (not to be confused with RB's) and/or "The Sandwich Place"
For chinese - "Mandarin Gormete"
The "Rainbow Room" at the wahweap marina lodge is great
For steak and such "Ken's ol' West" and/or "The Dam Bar and Grill" --- you will get a kick out of this "dam" place and all their "dam" menue items... and while your their don't forget to take some "dam" pictures ... and what's even better, is it is located next to the "Dam Outlet" and the "Dam Store"
We Pageites are proudly funny about our dam... afterall, without it there would be no lake and no tourists for money and life

Besides wakeboarding, things to see include:
1. Rainbow Bridge
2. Antelope Canyon LAND BASED!!! (water side = OK, BUT Land Side = Inspirational)
3. Horse Shoe Bend (FREE, just drive and walk to it, it is south of page on the right side just a mile or two south... it is a neat bend in the beggining of what will later be named GRAND CANYON further down stream... Lake Powell basically is the head of the Grand Canyon)

ANY QUESTIONS YOU GUYS HAVE
PLEASE E_MAIL ME
I LOVE TO HELP PEOPLE ENJOY THE AREA AND WHAT IT HAS TO OFFER, other than myself GOOGLE IS ALWAYS HERE!!!!!
Old     (maliburider456)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-13-2007, 4:51 PM Reply   
u can rent a house boat me and my friend are gonna do that this summer.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-14-2007, 11:52 AM Reply   
oh and bytheway

IF you go to the arizona side. DO go with antelope marina because the lake IS INDEED LOW and it will cut your travel time by an hour or two(house boat speed)... unless of course you dont plan to travel that way.