Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-22-2017, 9:37 AM Reply   
I have an old school hydrohoist and I am looking to add center pontoons to it, for my new boat. I have contacted hydrohoist and they say they are no longer available. I am working with my local dealer and that is going no where fast. I know it is a long shot but was wondering if anyone has a lead. Thanks, Mike
Attached Images

Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-22-2017, 9:57 AM Reply   
For reference I only have two pontoons now I am looking to move to 4 like the picture above. Thanks, Mike
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-22-2017, 10:38 AM Reply   
I don't know enough about these hoists (unfortunately!) but why couldn't you use a couple of their newer designs and maybe put spacers in on the old ones so they are all at the same level?
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-22-2017, 10:52 AM Reply   
I would love to do that but my local dealer doesn't believe that is an option. I am begging to pay him. It is pretty sad but he just keeps flaking on me.
Old     (azeus17)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-24-2017, 10:48 AM Reply   
Go to a local pipe supply guy and get some big 12 or 18" PVC, or something like that...pretty much the same thing.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-24-2017, 10:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeus17 View Post
Go to a local pipe supply guy and get some big 12 or 18" PVC, or something like that...pretty much the same thing.
That is funny that you say that. That is what my dad wants to do and we may go that route but I am concerned that we will F it up. But it may be my only option.
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-25-2017, 3:51 PM Reply   
I'm with your dad. Get a couple pieces of pipe and cap them, then put whatever fittings you need to make em float. Try and match whatever diameter your current tubes are, and then I'd probalby paint them with Rhino Lining or something like that so that they have some UV protection. Especially if your dealer keeps flaking on you.
Old     (Reddog78)      Join Date: Mar 2017       05-25-2017, 6:12 PM Reply   
He just reduced price to 500$ each.
Attached Images

Old     (denystaucd)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-25-2017, 7:16 PM Reply   
The local Discovery Bay hydro hoist guys installed an older style round pontoon from a old lift they had on my newer lift (more square looking pontoons) when I got a heavier boat. So if you can get a used hoist like above its just a matter of mounting it to the cross bar. They also repainted the tube before they installed it.

Cheers,
DC
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-25-2017, 7:51 PM Reply   
Mike: I saw a guy out of Folsom that was making and selling custom aluminum pontoons. Depending on your skill level I'm sure he could make you new larger hydrohoist toons. I saw a add he was running in Craig's list, sorry didn't get his contact info.
Old     (TTyler89)      Join Date: Jun 2015       05-27-2017, 4:36 PM Reply   
Boatfloater and hydrohoist both got away from fiberglass and galvanized tanks. They are all now rectangle poly tanks. They should still mount to your existing framework. Depending on what your boat weighs depends on if you can get away with a 4500 or a 6600. The 4500s will actually lift right around 5000lbs with the poly tanks and 6600 will lift right around 7k. I personally like boatfloater better. The new tanks are not cheap. They're about $4500-4700 for the 4500 and $5500-6000 for the 6600.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-28-2017, 6:57 AM Reply   
I already have a lift this is rated for 5k. I want to add the pontoons in the middle.
My guy quotes me $3500 to do so. He told me the this would take the life from 5k to 7500 which would be awesome. Problem is he doesn't seem to want to come and do the work.

From this thread it seems like have multiple options and I want thank everyone for contributing. Once we get r G u are welcome for a ride if u ever make it to Tulloch.

Thanks again, Mike
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-30-2017, 2:15 PM Reply   
Mike:

Also found these guys out there, looks like it might be an alternative.

http://www.denhartogindustries.com/boat-lift-tanks/

CA rep - Territory:

S. Martin & Associates
1240 E. Michelle St.
West Covina, CA 91790

Steve Martin
Ph: 626-917-6883
Fax: 626-917-9844
E-mail: steve@smarep.com

Kristy Pogue
Ph: 626-917-6883
E-mail: Kristy@smarep.com
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-31-2017, 3:31 PM Reply   
Another option - Aluminum - https://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/6150708535.html
Old     (miljack)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-01-2017, 2:38 PM Reply   
Also check out some of the lift dealers in the LOZ area, there are TONS of lifts there, and a bunch of them get hammered on those lakes, so parts are available there.

To add the tank to your existing lift, the dealer will either have to tow it and pull it, or if he has a "work boat" with a lift/crane, he could possibly do it at the dock for you. Either way that is expensive for you because of the transport time involved.
If you have never towed a lift, it's not hard, but, it's also a single mistake from sinking it! They are heavy and need to be moved with care...

Just as you have discovered, Hydrohoist made quite a few different sizes of those FG tanks, for $3500 to upgrade yours, I would consider selling it as is, and finding a new/used lift...
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-01-2017, 2:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by miljack View Post
Also check out some of the lift dealers in the LOZ area, there are TONS of lifts there, and a bunch of them get hammered on those lakes, so parts are available there.

To add the tank to your existing lift, the dealer will either have to tow it and pull it, or if he has a "work boat" with a lift/crane, he could possibly do it at the dock for you. Either way that is expensive for you because of the transport time involved.
If you have never towed a lift, it's not hard, but, it's also a single mistake from sinking it! They are heavy and need to be moved with care...

Just as you have discovered, Hydrohoist made quite a few different sizes of those FG tanks, for $3500 to upgrade yours, I would consider selling it as is, and finding a new/used lift...
I like $3500 a lot better than 11K which I was quoted for a new one. I have a pretty specific set up and lift works perfectly. It just needs some more guts to lift the boat. We have pulled the lift out of the water before and it wasn't a big deal. I just need the tubes or to modify something to be the tubes as suggested above. I am giving my dealer until next Tuesday then I will start working on plan B which includes some of the great posts from above.

Thanks again, Mike
Old     (miljack)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-02-2017, 5:03 AM Reply   
I replaced the galvanized tanks on my own lift, if you have pulled the lift, then you could add the tank yourself, check out these tanks, I used two of these on my lift with a frame I welded up and had galvanized;

http://www.denhartogindustries.com/boat-lift-tanks/

It was a big project, required the use of a forklift at the end to install the tanks/frames to the lift. It was worth it for me (cause the wife was watching $!!)