Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-27-2013, 10:52 AM Reply   
OK so I need some serious feedback on if this is worth it or not.

I am looking at a 1999 SAN but man it needs some work. All the vinyl is shot, some nicks in gelcoat, and the trailer is a little rough. Those are the least of my worries.

The guy mentioned some tranny issues but thinks it is ok for a few hundred more hours and that the V Drive will need a rebuild as well when the tranny does.

So all that said what would be a good price for the boat? Would you even buy it? I have yanked out the tranny in my SN2001 and feel I could uninstall and reinstall the tranny and vdrive so that should save some money. Just torn because I kind of wanted a boat I did not have to work on but they are a little out of my price range.

If I got this boat and dropped 4-5 grand into it may still be worth it.

All opinions welcome!
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-27-2013, 11:28 AM Reply   
From what you are describing 4-5 grand is not even close. Not even half. That won't even cover actual parts cost. Then you have to look at the cost of labor even if you do it. I say that because why buy a beat up 20K boat for 15K, only to put 5K in parts into and your free labor. Might as well spend the 20K up front(your spending it anyway) and spend your time riding instead of wrenching in the garage!!

If the guy is "mentioning" tranny issues, that means it's shot NOW not in a few years. There is no comparison to pulling a tranny is a old SN2001 and a modern V drive boat. Not that the concept is different, just 100x's harder. Those units go in before the top cap is put on and can be really tough to get out.

From what you have said that boat needs 10K in work to be right, minimum. How is the engine if the rest is that bad? For 4-5K you will lose more money than you know. Go buy a good one and spend time riding instead of calling the tranny shop to see when your rebuilds will be done. You will waste a whole riding season on that boat and never break even.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-27-2013, 11:31 AM Reply   
^^^ I couldn't agree more.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-27-2013, 1:27 PM Reply   
Burban, if you want to shoot me a pm with the listing I would like to take a look. I don't know anyone who wants one and I'm shopping for a project 2001 so I won't be trying to steal it. If you can get it for the right price, its worth it. That said "failing tranny but will be good for a few hundred more hrs" sounds like the guy is doing a little bit of fishing
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-27-2013, 1:56 PM Reply   
Sounds like the guy is covering his butt to me. So when it blows the second time you have it out and call him up, he can say.."I told you it was going out".
Old    kx250frider617            05-27-2013, 2:35 PM Reply   
I guess it depends on how nice the engine and major mechanical parts are. I would rather spend the same money but have a boat with brand new upholstery and trailer etc. It also allows you to tear the boat apart so you will gain experience on how everything is put together. You'll be able to fix anything yourself.

Do this, pull the exhaust riser and have a look inside to see the corrosion in there. That will give you an idea of the cooling system in the block. Have the cylinders checked out and have a mechanic do a basic inspection. If the major systems check out fine, I would go for it.

Look up the price of the same boat in excellent condition. Im guessing from $22k-25k. I would buy the boat with everything fixed to working condition (don't count a stereo), for a total cost of $22k. So try offering $13-15k for it.
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-27-2013, 3:08 PM Reply   
HE said there was some gear backlash and the seal on the tranny is leaking. It is a closed cooling system as well.

My original thinking was getting it for 15k and then doing all the work as needed. Unforntuanately I live over 6 hours away so I cannot go look at everything.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-27-2013, 3:25 PM Reply   
Leave it be then for sure. No use making a trip like that for a trashed boat. It will almost certainly be worse than he said/you thought when you get there. Not worth it. I think you'd be sorry for sure. One thing to drive down the street to check out a project like that, but to drive 6 hours no way!!

If that boat is worth 22K nice like Jordan said, you'd need to be at 10K to make it worth while. Your gonna be $3000-$5000 in upholstery. I'd say $5000 easy in tranny and Vdrive rebuild/replace. Then the trailer and gel and who knows what else. I'd figure 10K in repairs and like i said you have to factor your labor as thats a cost of repair. Like I said there is no use to buy a 22k boat trashed for 12K and then turn around and put the 10K into it. Don't waste your time. Just go pay 22K for a nice one and ride. Why waste your time to break even and give away all the time your gonna spend. There will be 100's of hours in that boat and lots of lost riding/use.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-27-2013, 3:48 PM Reply   
Man RB, you're very negative on this day.

If it's that far away, hire a marine surveyor or see if there is someone on this board who can go take a look for you.

If you can do upholstery yourself, you won't be spending 3-5k... Tranny seals are easy... taking down and rebuilding/replacing gears in a V-drive... maybe not as easy or fun.

Those comments aside, there are deals out there for less money than 22-25... There is a 99 superair with the 502 for like 19.5 I've seen... Keep your eyes peeled for the deals
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-27-2013, 4:39 PM Reply   
Sorry delta, not trying to be negative. For about the last 5 years I have bought and sold boats as a hobby and those numbers are from 100+boats of experience. Upholstery is one of the toughest things out there for the average person to do and make it look professional/factory. I personally don't touch boats that need vinyl work, because I'm not good at it(probably better than most). Meaning I can make it look OK, but not like the day it was sold and if you advertise new upholstery people expect it too. Even just to install skins takes some know how and premade skins aren't cheap. If you say they are going sub 20K it looks even worse!!

Tranny's or even V drives aren't to tough if you have the experience and tools to do it. I have a buddy who is a Ford tranny guy and he'd tell you they are the easiest thing in the world. But if your not a tranny guy they are certainly not easy. Rebuilding an engine is far easier. Again not trying to be negative, I have done it and thats my opinion. Neither is cheap or easy IMO. Any thing with the name "marine" doubles the price of parts and in alot of cases labor.

I'm really not trying to be negative, just honest. OP said he was looking for serious honest feedback. Most people who have bought a boat like this thinking it was a deal will tell you at the end of the day it cost more than had they just bought a nice one ready to go. Thats not even factoring all the use they lost working on it instead! Trust me, I see more positive than most. When I look at a boat I see in terms of $ signs. Whether I am going to make some or spend some. My wife laughs at me about it. But when i see a boat that needs upholstery and major mechanicals there are no $ signs coming in...just going out. IMO
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-27-2013, 7:31 PM Reply   
I appreciate all of the feedback! I understand where you all are coming from.

My uncle does boat interior and has forever so i will probably pay half price for that. I can yank the vdrive and send it off, $800. I can yank the trans, $1000. Gelcoat from the estimate I got from pictures was $500. The trailer I do not know it just looks all faded in the pics.

I cannot afford mint SAN right now as if they are mint they are every bit 23k+ and then who is to say the tranny does not go out on it as well? I do not have my mind made up at all I am just look at every side of it. I took a chance on my SN2001 and I did end up having to drop a ton of money on it when the owner said everything was great with the motor. I put a few grand into the motor then had to redo the floor etc all with in 3 years. I am not affraid to put in work to get it right but again I do not want to get completely screwed either.

I have a budget of 18-19ish and I am sticking with the SAN as that is my favorite wake. I was thinking of dropping 15ish on the boat if he takes it and then use the 3-4 on repairs. My thiniking is I get the SAN back in shape and I spent 19k instead of 23+

RB what all are you worried about being wrong with it?

So is the worst thing that could be wrong besides the tranny and vdrive? Its a closed cooling system so could the manifold still rust? I do not know much about them on boats unless it is just like a car. I havent heard of to many SANs losing an engine at all.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-27-2013, 7:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by burban89 View Post
I appreciate all of the feedback! I understand where you all are coming from.

My uncle does boat interior and has forever so i will probably pay half price for that. I can yank the vdrive and send it off, $800. I can yank the trans, $1000. Gelcoat from the estimate I got from pictures was $500. The trailer I do not know it just looks all faded in the pics.

I cannot afford mint SAN right now as if they are mint they are every bit 23k+ and then who is to say the tranny does not go out on it as well? I do not have my mind made up at all I am just look at every side of it. I took a chance on my SN2001 and I did end up having to drop a ton of money on it when the owner said everything was great with the motor. I put a few grand into the motor then had to redo the floor etc all with in 3 years. I am not affraid to put in work to get it right but again I do not want to get completely screwed either.

I have a budget of 18-19ish and I am sticking with the SAN as that is my favorite wake. I was thinking of dropping 15ish on the boat if he takes it and then use the 3-4 on repairs. My thiniking is I get the SAN back in shape and I spent 19k instead of 23+

RB what all are you worried about being wrong with it?

So is the worst thing that could be wrong besides the tranny and vdrive? Its a closed cooling system so could the manifold still rust? I do not know much about them on boats unless it is just like a car. I havent heard of to many SANs losing an engine at all.
If your uncle does interiors, I would get a stock-ish looking interior in your 2001. It would make it sell that much faster... JMO. Sell the stereo or keep it for the new boat.

Using your figures... say interior through your uncle is 2500, plus 1800, plus 500 plus another thousand because ya never know... 5800 in repairs? I doubt the transmission needs 1000 worth of work if all it needs is the seal... I'd still say you're at 4-5 grand. Depends what your time is worth. I'm at an age where time doesn't cost much and I like to learn and put sweat into it... others might not be there

Last edited by wakebordr11; 05-27-2013 at 7:51 PM.
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-27-2013, 8:26 PM Reply   
I am honestly thinking about throwing the 2001 on the auction block and seeing what happens. Ebay or local auction. I can get a better boat if it sales but I still dont see many late 90 early 00 SAN or SS for than 20.

I am still young so my time is just time. Im not going to make any decisions tonight so I again appreciate all the feedback.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-27-2013, 8:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by burban89 View Post
I am honestly thinking about throwing the 2001 on the auction block and seeing what happens. Ebay or local auction. I can get a better boat if it sales but I still dont see many late 90 early 00 SAN or SS for than 20.

I am still young so my time is just time. Im not going to make any decisions tonight so I again appreciate all the feedback.
I'm just kind of thinking aloud. I am, like I said, approaching a project soon and working through in my brain what boat and project type I want - they all need work, its just what work do I want to do...

There is a 1997 Air Nautique in GA for 12,000... interesting deal if you ask me
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-28-2013, 4:25 AM Reply   
I am wanting to get away from the direct drive and go to the VDrive. I am with you on what work I would want to do. I did all the work, engine and interior on my SN2001. i would love to find a SAN that just needed interior and everything else was in good shape. Even the few I saw like that are still low 20s. Its amazing how well they are holding value in the community.
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       05-28-2013, 9:09 AM Reply   
IMO, on fixing (anything), if you would truely enjoy fixing (this boat) as a time intensive hobby for a few months then it's worth a thought. If you don't have time or don't actually like fixing things up, then avoid having it hang over your head .