Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-09-2011, 7:41 PM Reply   
Just saw this on Transworld, and I have to say I'm disappointed. To me, it looks like an attempt at an X-Star. For me, I've always preferred the style of Malibu boats for their traditional bow, larger main lounge space, and general sexyness. This new boat seems to have a massive bow, average sized lounge, and unfortunately for me, the picklefork bow. If I wanted that boat, I'd be looking into Mastercraft. I think Malibu missed with this boat. Thoughts?

Here's the link for everyone that hasnt seen it yet:
http://wakeboardingmag.com/boats/201...akesetter-mxz/
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-09-2011, 8:36 PM Reply   
Looks like a pimped out axis to me.
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-10-2011, 2:26 AM Reply   
i like the pickle fork bow, will never go back to the traditional style after owning an axis. . . the boat does look kinda weird, but i'm sure it's just because it's new and something we're not use to. I remember when the new tower for malibu came out and i didn't think it looked good and now it looks great. That mojo boat on the other hand, that thing is just plain ugly.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-10-2011, 5:18 AM Reply   
I like it, although I've never been a fan of the swoop tower and the broken up sunpad.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-10-2011, 5:46 AM Reply   
Not a fan. It reminds me of my 73 Invader Tri Hull. Kinda like doing a four door Corvette. Having the front look like the back is functional but not attractive. They are Mini Vans on water.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-10-2011, 5:48 AM Reply   
I think it will grow on you.Malibu makes a great boat.With all the sucess of the Axis,Malibu had to jump on board.It's not a copy of anything.It's MALIBU'S version of a sucessful design.The only thing i dont care for is the rear deck seats.I think that is wasted space.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-10-2011, 6:03 AM Reply   
Fugly! The axis looks better than that thing......
Old     (csswake3)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-10-2011, 6:50 AM Reply   
I personally like the malibu boats the way the are, however, I think Malibu is going to sell a TON of these, people love the pickle fork and the extra space, you throw the malibu name on it, it will sell no doubt in my mind. I think it will be very competitive, I think it will make people look at another option for a pickle fork besides Tige, Mastercraft, etc. Time will tell I guess
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-10-2011, 7:20 AM Reply   
I have been really critical of new boats lately but that thing looks good in my opinion. The only thing I don't really like is the transom seat/broken up sunpad. I would rather have the sunpad go all the way from the back seats to the transom. It would allow for bigger ballast bags and more storage in the vdrive compartments. It would probably make it easier to work on as well.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-10-2011, 7:37 AM Reply   
This is also a major first and a big selling point that it is a full fiberglass deck/interior etc. like Mc has been
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       08-10-2011, 8:27 AM Reply   
It might be a full fiberglass deck like MC but it is still pieced together to save on cost and is not as structurally sound as the MC.
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       08-10-2011, 8:28 AM Reply   
The deck might be full fiberglass but it is still pieced together to save on cost and is not as structurally sound as the MC.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-10-2011, 8:55 AM Reply   
Pickle forks are the fad right now in the wakeboat community and these boats will be very successful too.
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-10-2011, 8:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason95gt View Post
It might be a full fiberglass deck like MC but it is still pieced together to save on cost and is not as structurally sound as the MC.
How would you even test something like this, not to mention, when has a boat structurally fallen apart as result of how the fiberglass deck is designed?

Malibu could have done themselves a huge favor and made the MXZ poster child more of a solid/cleaner color than to do the wild red/black variation. The wakesetter graphic sucks and has sucked for a while IMO. Not really digging the rear sunpad either and hopefully the interior can be ordered with the plush snap in carpet that I really love about Malibu. I hate the full fiberglass look/feel. Although nice for cleanup, I feel like i'm in an I/O instead of a luxury wake boat. Its definitely different and I'm not a huge fan of the picklefork, but it's still Malibu and still pretty legit.

As with any of these boats, the main concern should be wake quality. I know other manufacturers have gone to designing big boats without much R&D in the hull, but more emphasis on maximizing room and creature comforts. They have to slap wake gates, trim tabs or whatever just to get them to perform halfway decent. I feel confident Malibu has tested this hull to the highest of wake standards and will have the best wake out of the box, which is one of the things I love about their boats. 4 stock tanks and power wedge will make this wake shredable for any pro out there, unlike other boats that need 4-5k worth of ballast.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-10-2011, 10:54 AM Reply   
My only complaint is that there isn't 7 cup holders in the bow, only 6.
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       08-10-2011, 10:54 AM Reply   
I wasnt a fan of the broken up sunpad till i got my 247. Boy did that change. Those seats make drinking back there the best seat on the boat. Its friggen awesome when just floating around or surfing.

As for everybody freaking out about the picklefork, its just another option, they didnt do away with the normal tried and true hull. Cant blame em for giving the customers one more option. Not my cup of tea, but it doesnt look terrible.

I bet within 2 years Chattwake ends up in one haha.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-10-2011, 10:56 AM Reply   
Then buy the traditional Malibu.

Some guys are going to want the picklefork and malibu brand. Now there is something for those buyers.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-10-2011, 11:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason95gt View Post
it might be a full fiberglass deck like mc but it is still pieced together to save on cost and is not as structurally sound as the mc.
lol.......
Old     (humboldt9)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-10-2011, 11:44 AM Reply   
Spoken like a true MC sales rep.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-10-2011, 12:02 PM Reply   
Looks good, I suppose. I don't really like a ton of people sitting in front of me when I'm driving. It's hard to enough to drive & pay attention without making it even tougher. Now the idiots can get 12 people up front & make it impossible. Hope Malibu has covered their asses somehow on that issue.
Old     (dfred)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-10-2011, 12:59 PM Reply   
Meh, Mastercraft meets Malibu meets MB dash...meh, meh, meh
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       08-10-2011, 1:31 PM Reply   
I was majorly skeptical when I heard Malibu was making a pickle fork option.... I think it looks sick. My favorite boat out of the 2012s so far. MC lost me on their tower
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-10-2011, 2:11 PM Reply   
I think Brad is on to you LT
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-10-2011, 2:21 PM Reply   
tough crowd, i like it. It goes picklefork but still looks all Malibu.
Old     (humboldt9)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-10-2011, 2:28 PM Reply   
Nah, I was just stating the obvious, just having a little fun. I've been on this board way too long to get caught up in boat wars and brand ownership goggles.
Old     (misfits1981)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-10-2011, 2:54 PM Reply   
I like it. At first I didn't like the engine cover/transom seats. It looked like the seats were too big and there wasn't enough sundeck for the chicks to lay out on. After looking at the pictures more and more the boat has definitely grown on me. My only dislike of this and most Malibus is the mirror mount off the tower. I'd much rather mount it on the windshield than have that arm hanging off the tower. Also, the color combo on this boat is a little too red for my taste.

I like that with Malibu and MB you can still get a great wake boat with the traditional bow or with the picklefork, depending on your taste. MC seems to have gone to a full line of picklefork boats, limiting them to customers that like the look or are willing to settle for it.
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-10-2011, 2:56 PM Reply   
I like it a lot. The Axis is amazing. There are a lot of people that want that performance of the A22 but also want the Malibu fit and finish. Great blend of the two boats.

I don't think this hull is that much different than the combo of an LSV and VLX. The new nose looks to be designed for style / bow comfort and is not a direct copy of the holy grail (X-Star).
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-10-2011, 3:06 PM Reply   
I think it looks great.

All of these so-called picklefork boats are actually just "wide bow" boats with extra plastic to make the boat look unlike a deck boat. IMO, the angular cosmetic added plastic is nicer than the rounded cosmetic added plastic! :<)
Attached Images

Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-10-2011, 3:08 PM Reply   
But, looking at that picture above, it kind of looks like they have sacraficed cockpit area for bow area. If that is true, then I don't like it. I will always favor cockpit area over bow area.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-10-2011, 3:12 PM Reply   
I have seen a few boat maker's copy the look of the Malibu. Look at the New Moomba. Looks like a
Malibu knock off so you can understand them trying to change things up.

When I saw Brian post the first pic's of MXZ at Pedro it made me think.??? Humm If I owned a Malibu this new MXZ just made my Malibu look dated.

A great reason for the onwer's of traditional Malibu's who want the latest and greatest to upgrade and get THE NEW stuff.

IMO things like this is the first thing that would make a owner (Who's Perfictley Happy) with his Traditional boat wanna go out and buy a New Malibu.

Ill explaine. Lets say you own a 6 or 7 year old Malibu becides the New tower whats realy new about the new malibu's Sure you can get a new Malibu with a touch screen ect but who cares!
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       08-10-2011, 4:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits1981 View Post
Also, the color combo on this boat is a little too red for my taste.
No such thing!!!!!

(My boat is all red... Malibu stole my red tower red mirror option after seeing how good it looked in their factory) hahaha - no truth behind this....
Old     (bear)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-10-2011, 5:52 PM Reply   
Not a big fan.... The bow looks out of proportion.
Old     (ktrent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-10-2011, 6:41 PM Reply   
i am seriously in love with 95% of this boat and my issues are the same as most.

mirror, but that can be fixed with a window mount which i prefer anyway.

small cockpit, hope its as big as a vlx

seat on back takes up sundeck, i don't lay out anyway but love to look at girls back there

was really hoping to have storage up front but i would just fill it with ballast bags anyway so who cares.

see our issues with this boat aren't that bad and my guess is if it sells like it should, they will make a bigger version next year. MXZ 24 would be my guess.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       08-10-2011, 7:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddad View Post
I think it looks great.

All of these so-called picklefork boats are actually just "wide bow" boats with extra plastic to make the boat look unlike a deck boat. IMO, the angular cosmetic added plastic is nicer than the rounded cosmetic added plastic! :<)
That's what I have always been saying. It is also why I laugh when people say the mojo is ugly or that it looks like a deck boat. They all look like deck boats to me and they all look like mirror copies of each other.
Old     (jdhart73)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-10-2011, 7:19 PM Reply   
Pickeforks are the thing right now whether you love it or hate it. Malibu would have been ignorant to not have an option in this category, as someone else said already, this boat will sell like hotcakes for that fact alone.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-10-2011, 7:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by calexan View Post
I bet within 2 years Chattwake ends up in one haha.
now thats funny right there! but with a new boat every single year i dont see it taking 2 years, hes already posted the A22 going up for sale
it will be curious to see if he really did swear off the big 3 and their prices...
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       08-11-2011, 8:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang_killa_ss View Post
now thats funny right there! but with a new boat every single year i dont see it taking 2 years, hes already posted the A22 going up for sale
it will be curious to see if he really did swear off the big 3 and their prices...
He'll do one more year with Axis then he wont be able to resist the MXZ. With Axis adding Wetsounds and all the new stuff a loaded Axis is gonna be pricey, so why not just go up to the Malibu.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-11-2011, 9:56 AM Reply   
Wow. Ears were burning.

I'm sticking with an A22 for 2012. I have no plans to switch boats any time soon. Axis had a slight marerials cost price increase for 2012, but not a big one at all. What I mean by that is if you ordered the EXACT same boat in 2011 and 2012, the cost difference would be not much different at all. For 2012, Axis is offering a big wetsounds package as an option. Yes, that package is going to be expensive - as it is essentially what I've been running in my boats for the past few years. Doesn't matter to me though, as it just saves me having to install all of the wetsounds stuff myself from now on, which is awesome. I would have spent the same on wetsounds components whether they came from BU or from my local wetsounds dealer.

The main cost increase for me for 2012 on the A22 will be new new big motor. I really like the extra power I get out of the Raptor I have in my boat now. The new LS3 is 50 more hp, at 450, so it's going to help the boat do even better getting out of the hole with lots of weight. The LS3 is more expensive than the Raptor was.

Now, there's no doubt that the MXZ is a nice boat. It's decked out with options, screens, bling bling, etc. If you guys think that there is going to be any similarity in price between a loaded A22 and a loaded MXZ, you're crazy. I couldn't be happier with what I currently have in my A22, and that's coming from a loaded 2010 230, which was every bit as nice as an MXZ. As I've said before, I'm over paying 20-30k extra for aesthetic / creature comfort options. That being said, there's a huge market for boats that are super flashy and ultra technologically advanced. I have no doubt that the MXZ will sell, and will sell very well.

Also, I've got 2 small kids and a z5 is a must. I will never buy another boat that doesn't have one. As far as I know, you can't get one for the swoop tower (which I've never been a huge fan of anyway). Hell, my '07 VLX had a titan on it.

Lastly, I've heard that the wake behind the MXZ is very very money. However, have I heard that the MXZ wake is any better than the A22 wake? Nope.

Until I can find a better wake for me, and a better value for me, I'm sticking with what works - even if it doesn't come with a wake plate.
Old     (ktrent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-11-2011, 6:23 PM Reply   
I agree with you chatt about the z5. I just don't get the super high bimini tops on these new boats. I want my top low to actually shade and it makes for good proud control too. I am with on kids, 2 little girls here, can't wait till they start ripping.

sent with tapatalk.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-11-2011, 9:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrent View Post
I agree with you chatt about the z5. I just don't get the super high bimini tops on these new boats. I want my top low to actually shade and it makes for good proud control too. I am with on kids, 2 little girls here, can't wait till they start ripping.

sent with tapatalk.
After selling my Supra 22SSV I never thought I could live without a Z-5 either. Was very pleased when Malibu offered 4 board racks (with surfboard splines) on the new G3 tower, I can hold a bunch of gear on the racks and can stand straight up in the boat without hitting my head on the Z-5 (I am 6'1"). The racks are also removeable and easy to take on and off. Its also nice to be able to stow away the bimini mid-day in a couple minutes and have an open sky to ride in the evenings. Those were my gripes about the Z-5, too low and once its up its up for the entire day, and trailering it was like a big sail.

As far as low bimini tops, why would you want one you have to duck under all day long? The G3 bimini IMO is one of the best on the market, tons of shade for the cockpit and seating area, and you can walk under it standing straight up without hunching over all day. Guess I am getting old, hunching over is the last thing I want to do while on the boat all day,

I would like to see the MXZ in a different color scheme, the red for me is way over the top.... if the wake is anything like the 2010-11 VLX then they are going to sell a lot of these boats... Malibu has a great out of the box wake with stock ballast. No need to load your boats up with crazy weight to get an advanced wake for any rider. One of the cleanest low speed wakes for kids (17-19mph) I have ever seen in a boat. I hope they did not take away any rear ski locker storage, its nice to be able fit kneeboards in the rear ski lockers on the VLX.

I cant imagine the cockpit area being smaller than the VLX, that would be a bummer if they reduced the size of the cockpit. Hopefully the extra length went into the bow area and rear transom area.

I think Malibu will do well with this boat, I am not a huge picklefork fan, just because I dont like a lot of people in the bow area while towing skiers or driving the boat, adding more room would only make it more difficult to see around people.....but I think they will take more of the market share with this option for customers. It allows customers who want a picklefork and the Malibu build to have this option, rather than just the Axis.

Last edited by fman; 08-11-2011 at 9:46 PM.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-11-2011, 10:05 PM Reply   
QUESTION: did Malibu change their VLX wake since 2009?

The last VLX I rode was in 2009 so I am wondering if it's different now.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-11-2011, 10:09 PM Reply   
Woops, sorry typo... should be 2009... the G3 tower was introduced in 2010, but I am pretty sure the 2009 hull was the change.