Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (patrick)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-27-2013, 6:15 AM Reply   
I've looked through some of the threads for audio setups and speaker recommendations but am still a little clueless as to audio setups. I have an '03 Malibu Wakesetter with stock radio which is a JBL head unit that just died and 4 cabin Infinity speakers. I don't believe stock comes with an amplifier, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyways, I'm looking for a new basic setup that sounds great with 4 new speakers, an amplifier, and a new head unit that can also play streaming bluetooth. I'm not interested in tower speakers yet, but would like an amp that could support 2 tower speakers as well as the 4 cabin speakers. I'm not interested in a subwoofer. Also, looking to spend in the $500 - $750 range.

So for the specific questions:

What size and recommendation for a good amplifier?

I've seen many recommendations for Wet Sounds, Exile SX65M, Polk MM, & JL MX650's. I will probably not listen to any as I'm not that particular just want a good upgrade over stock and will go with best price and using 4 of the same. Any recommendations for great sound and price?

I haven't seen a lot of talk for recommendations on head units. Once I find the choices available with bluetooth options, what else should I look for from an upgrade / higher quality perspective?

Thanks!!

Patrick

Last edited by patrick; 08-27-2013 at 6:17 AM. Reason: Adding price option
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-27-2013, 1:33 PM Reply   
Exile has a great in boat speaker and the new Javeline amp will power them perfectly along with your sub.

Sony makes a great head unit with Bluetooth capability or Wetsounds just came out with a Bluetooth adapter.
Old     (patrick)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-28-2013, 9:50 AM Reply   
How does Polk D4000.4 4 channel 800w amp for $299 compare to JL hd600/4 FOR $799. For that price difference I would assume the sound quality difference is huge??
Old     (jk13)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-28-2013, 8:24 PM Reply   
As far as budget amps go right now I'd buy two of these:
http://www.mtx.com/_mtx+mobile+td+se...o-td75+4_223/b

That gives you TWO small footprint 75x4 amps for under $250. 75x4 for inboats and another 75x4 or roughly 200x2 bridged for towers later (or now if you choose). And you're buying from them direct so warranty coverage shouldn't be an issue. They are upsetting their current brick and mortar dealers including some friends of mine but that's a hard deal to pass up.

Exile Javelin mentioned above is also tops on my list but the mono channel is not full range, so if you're not looking for a sub it doesn't fit your needs. That said I really think you should listen to some boats with subs. Tuned correctly they should not be overpowering and only add to the fullness of sound and IMO are key in a great sounding setup. Have to up the budget for that though.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-28-2013, 11:02 PM Reply   
I will tell you I went the same route the beginning of this summer, with my first boat. It sits outside, and is often trailered places overnight while on trips etc. So I went the Budget route and got a hell of a bang for my buck. Last week someone offered to buy my stereo for what im in it for, which will more than serve its purpose for that person, and ive just ordered my Wetsounds! A pair of Rev10's and everything else in the boat is being upgraded.

Moral of my rant, might as well go fairly big out of the gate, because, and I am not bluffing you, it is inevitable.