Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Boyce604)      Join Date: Aug 2016       08-03-2016, 6:17 PM Reply   
Hi, I'm wanting to get into wakeboarding or wakesurfing. I'm not new to boats. I actually build bass boats for a living. But im not much of a fisherman. Im Into all sports.

I've been riding dirt bikes since I was young. Still ride to this day. My kids ride also. Used to race dirt cars And now build mini trucks on the side.

I live very close to Lake of the Ozarks Missouri.

Been looking at boats. Seen a few Moombas, older tiges and Malibu's in my price range. Bout $20k-$25k.

Been saving up for a real decent down payment then finance it for a few years.

But my big question is, I've never rode in a direct drive or v drive boat.

Want something I can take the family out on and tube, wakeboard or wake surf. But also go out and cruise the lake if we want.

I would love to go ride in one to see how they ride. I would hate to dump that much money and find out its not for us. II'm sure I could sale it but would rather not have to do that.

So is there anyone around Osage Beach area thats willing to take me out one time or so. II'll cover gas or beer or lunch.

Just mainly wanting to get a feel first.

Thanks, Ryan
Old     (Spotless)      Join Date: May 2016       08-04-2016, 5:53 AM Reply   
Might as well take some lessons from an excellent coach. www.kirbysschoolofwake.com
Old     (302_Rider)      Join Date: Oct 2015       08-04-2016, 6:04 AM Reply   
Based on what you plan on doing with the boat I don't know that a direct drive would be right for you. V drive boats generally have better wake shapes for boarding and can be a good bit easier to setup for surfing. The seating configuration of the v drives also makes it more desirable for socializing and moving around the boat. If you find you do enjoy it and want to purchase a boat I would join all the manufacturer forums and read about the models in your price range to see how people configure them to get the most of the waves. Getting an older boat to surf requires a lot of ballast and possibly a surf shaper of some sort. Good luck it's a world of fun
Old     (Boyce604)      Join Date: Aug 2016       08-04-2016, 7:10 AM Reply   
Yea. I figured a v drive would be better for the room. I'm just wanting to go ride in one first. To see how they ride. Hoping to meet some people around Lake of the Ozark to go out on one. I'm sure itll be used for tubing more since the kids are alil younger right now. (4 and 7) but wanna buy one to grow into instead of buying one and selling to buy another later.
Old     (tweeder)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-04-2016, 7:17 AM Reply   
It's a drive but this what I would be looking at if I were you.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2001-Mal...xas-56604.aspx

Plumb in some ballast and get your self a wakeshaper or mission delta and your good to go. Looks like this thing has been pretty well taken care of too.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-04-2016, 8:30 AM Reply   
^ solid ride there. tons of great boats on the used market.
Old     (Boyce604)      Join Date: Aug 2016       08-04-2016, 3:46 PM Reply   
There's a 2003 Malibu Sunscape 21 LSV for $23,000. Has real low hours. Wanna say less than 200. Its at a used dealer. But cant find much on the Sunscape. Has no tower or any ballast. But looks clean.

Also a 2008 Moomba Möbius LSV for $28,000 by me at a dealer also. Not real sure on hours though.

Imma look at a few and maybe try for a test ride. Really need to go to a demo day.

I've been on a lot of boats. Pontoons, outboards, and inboards. Just never a direct drive or v drive to know how they act.
Old     (tweeder)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-04-2016, 5:17 PM Reply   
V-Drives are terrible in reverse. You basically have no steering. Depending on prop rotation you will get the back end goes one way or the other in reverse. They won't handle choppy water anywhere near as good as a boat with a nice deep V hull. The boats in your price range are all pre wake barge era and should handle very nicely. When it comes to water sports, its a complete night and day difference pull people out of the water. Driving a weighted boat isn't really a big deal just requires more concentration. Grew up wake boarding, skiing, kneeboarding behind a bayliner and won't go back to an I/O for a watersports boat. I would check out the Moomba, being newer with a tower and ballast is a huge plus. You will be getting into the Moomba price territory on the Malibu adding a tower, speakers, and ballast. I still suggest getting some sort of surf device for what ever boat you decide to get.
Old     (Boyce604)      Join Date: Aug 2016       08-04-2016, 5:49 PM Reply   
Yea handing choppy water is a must around here sometimes. Not sure if you guys know Lake of the Ozarks

. A lot of big boats, like skaters, nor-techs, donzi, etc etc. So can get rough sometimes. They have no size limit or speed limit here.

I do have more lakes but are a few hour drive. Lake Ozark is a few minutes away.

Thanks for the help. Now just gotta find a ride in a few and see what I think.