Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       02-28-2012, 1:04 PM Reply   
Had the 10" orbit polisher, very weak at best for polishing up the Malibu. The boat took a beating this last season and I felt it needed some tender loving care. So I bought some toys for her.

Porter-Cable 7424XP Electric Polisher/Sander. Did a bunch of research and I think I made a good choice. The polisher has a clutch so you have less chance of burning your clear coat. Multi speed settings, lighter then most and was in my budget.

Bought if from Tool-Plus, No shipping or tax. Plus I bought the starter package with the different pads and counter weight. Thought it was a good deal.

http://www.tools-plus.com/porter-cab...4xp-lckit.html

Bought the polisher first then pulled the trigger on a Wetsounds Syn 4 Amp for my tower speakers. I have alway put the Syn 4 in my Shopping Cart on-line and then dreamed about buying it, but this time I hit confirm purchase.

Wife is going to kill me....

I was saving up for a tune up on the boat, but I will just have to make more money I guess.
Selling my Kicker ZX 850.4 amp if anyone interested in it. Make me an offer.
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-28-2012, 4:12 PM Reply   
LOL, I was thinking this was going to be a question about polishing your Wetsounds with a Porter-Cable 7424XP Electric Polisher.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-28-2012, 4:30 PM Reply   
I bit the bullet on the Makita last year. I figured I would have it for a long time so I might as well get a good one. Got it from Amizon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...VW4NZHBQPYR0TJ
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       02-28-2012, 4:58 PM Reply   
Both of those look like nice buffers. Could anyone compare the two?
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-29-2012, 5:39 AM Reply   
The Makita is a rotary buffer the P.C. is an orbital polisher.The Makita is a more aggressive just spins type and greater possibility of gel coat damage.The PC is more like an orbital sander,better for general upkeep of gel in good condition.The Makita is what you need when compounding to remove heavy scratches and oxidation.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-29-2012, 12:51 PM Reply   
I chose the PC to be safe and after seeing several videos on you tube. Search you tube and you wil find that it gets excellent results as I have.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       02-29-2012, 5:04 PM Reply   
Just one of the videos that sold me on the Porter Cable 7424XP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et6Egpw-f-s

The Makita, dewalt and other brands that are polisher/sanders they do not have a clutch and the RMP are usually too high and makes it easy to burn the clear coat or paint.
Old     (tnvolgrad)      Join Date: Dec 2010       02-29-2012, 7:56 PM Reply   
You have to really work hard to burn up gel coat - it's pretty thick stuff. I have the Makita and just use it at the lower speeds - works like a charm.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       03-17-2012, 5:52 PM Reply   
I just wanted to say that I have used my portal cable polisher on my boat and it is insanely awesome. The best purchase I have so far this year. It has made my boat look so good. Better then I have every gotten the boat to look. I might as well throw my 10" orbital polisher away that this is junk compared to my polisher. As for my wetsound amp, it is still in the box. I have been working on my boat getting the outside ready that I haven't had time to install my new syn2.

Just wanted to up date how great my polisher is. I would recommend buying one for sure.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       03-17-2012, 5:52 PM Reply   
I ment Syn 4,
Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       03-19-2012, 5:11 AM Reply   
no before and after pics to make us believers?
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       03-21-2012, 12:36 PM Reply   
I ended up buying the same kit that you did fullspeed and it just came in. I have a question though; are all the pads in the kit the same or are there specific uses for each? Also, are there specific waxes you should use for an orbital buffer or will any wax that is good to apply by hand work well with the buffer?

I've almost always used Zaino products but recently on my wife's black Escalade I've started using the Tutle Wax Black Box wax kit and have been really happy with the results so far.

My boat is white so I don't plan on waxing it but maybe once a year with the buffer, maybe twice with Hot Sauce after every use and the Boat Bling Quickie Wax prob once a month.
Old     (matt75)      Join Date: Nov 2010       03-21-2012, 1:10 PM Reply   
This should help you out TJ

http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/buff...d-chart-lc.htm

Last edited by matt75; 03-21-2012 at 1:10 PM. Reason: misspelling