Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Find A Third/Be A Third

Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       03-27-2011, 9:11 PM Reply   
I think it was just right to start a new thread with 2011... Session on today!
Name:  026.jpg
Views: 1731
Size:  57.6 KB
Old    dhorton            03-28-2011, 3:12 PM Reply   
brrrrrrr... that looks cold, who would be stupid enough to ride in those conditions?
Old     (imondi)      Join Date: Aug 2010       03-28-2011, 6:09 PM Reply   
haha THIS GUY!

Heard you had a good session... Cant wait to ride with you guys!
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       03-28-2011, 8:52 PM Reply   
Looks inviting!!!! Ankle started to make a turn for the better today! Keeping my fingers crossed. Only if this weather would start cooperating!
Old    dhorton            03-28-2011, 8:58 PM Reply   
Victor ~ I know a few others crazy enough to hit it under those conditions, including a 10 year old!
Attached Images

Old    dhorton            03-28-2011, 9:00 PM Reply   
Oh yeah and this guys always seems to down for the ride
Attached Images

Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       03-28-2011, 9:37 PM Reply   
So proud of Caeley for getting out there this time of the year!
Old    dhorton            03-29-2011, 8:21 AM Reply   
Shima ~ heal quickly... looks like warmer temps by the end of the week! I'm sure its just the warm before the next storm, maybe we can hit that window just right this time!
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       03-29-2011, 6:06 PM Reply   
David, ankle is getting better each day. Stay in touch!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       03-29-2011, 9:26 PM Reply   
I'm willing to bet C Dog is going to session this year... It's been a long time coming and the fun board is the answer! I seen pics but soon she will retire the fun board... NOT She has to land a barrel roll before she puts that bad boy away.

I really like that DFTR Dude!
Old     (imondi)      Join Date: Aug 2010       03-30-2011, 9:09 PM Reply   
Haha those pics are sweet!! Looks like good weather the next few days! Unfortunately I am going out of town this weekend. Let's try to do a session next week! Josh is wanting some good chase boat pics!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       03-31-2011, 9:31 AM Reply   
Victor ~~ If we can get an epic day with 2 boats would be so nice. It's always a good time having a chase boat for some blurry shots!

Shima ~~ It's time to heal up ASAP!

I bet that DFTR dude took that pic of C Dog... He's got skills
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       03-31-2011, 10:42 AM Reply   
Josh, ankle feels back to normal now. I'm ready to ride!
Old    dhorton            03-31-2011, 1:16 PM Reply   
My weekend is wide open, how about Sat late morning before the storm rolls in?
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       03-31-2011, 2:06 PM Reply   
Just let me know David!
Old     (rosenbergmike)      Join Date: Mar 2011       03-31-2011, 5:23 PM Reply   
hey guys, i'm totally game to go out next week, i'll be back tue night. i got my wetsuit and vest mailed to me in case someone has loaner board that fits, but otherwise i've got my camera and i can be a whopping 150lbs of ballast.

on a side note, do most of you guys trailer your boats around or slip them or what? i'm looking to get mine out here in may and i was curious where the best place would be to get a slip since i don't have room in my apartment for my boat :/
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       03-31-2011, 5:52 PM Reply   
Mike, what size Board and Bindings do you need? I may have something you could use.

Everyone tows their boat around here. Only place to keep a boat on the water is Jordanelle and the lottery to get a spot is time consuming.

I won't be taking my boat out of storage until after May 10th when I'm back in town. Hope we can hook up soon to ride.
Old     (rosenbergmike)      Join Date: Mar 2011       03-31-2011, 6:07 PM Reply   
ryan, i normally ride a 137 and size 8 boots, but anything that would hold me over until i can get my stuff would be awesome and appreciated. i'd be pumped to shred with you soon.

i talked to a guy at utah lake today, they might have something available, but should i not try to slip my boat there? i'm not sure what the riding is like, but it's got to beat parking my boat on the street.....

what lakes are people riding around here?
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       03-31-2011, 7:20 PM Reply   
Mike, I have a few options in the 137 range. Boots in size 8 may be a stretch since I wear a 7-7.5 size shoe but I'll see what I have.

I live up in Layton so I mainly ride Willard with my boat but will travel to other lakes based on who's boat we're taking.

Leaving your boat at Utah Lake could be a good option but is it in the water or dry dock? The wind can kick up hard out of no where which can make your boat dirty if it's left on land.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       03-31-2011, 7:51 PM Reply   
David ~~ I'm DFTR bro...

Shima ~~ Let's ride!

Mike ~~ UT is an ok option to keep your boat at but you have to really watch where you ride. Most of the time it's best to not look at the depth finder since it will read 5 to 8 feet deep. When the wind kicks up (out of no where) and you're on the lake you might think your going to die. Not a place I want to be in the wind... TRUST ME! Not a bad option since Jordanelle is a slip nightmare...
Old     (snowrider)      Join Date: May 2007       03-31-2011, 8:32 PM Reply   
Slips are Jordanelle are ok, but sign up process takes some effort. Usually happens in early Feb or so. Pretty reasonable pricing and once you have a slip it's for 2yrs. Wind has kicked up there and caused damage to boats in past but overall its worth it if you are out frequently.
Old     (rosenbergmike)      Join Date: Mar 2011       03-31-2011, 9:30 PM Reply   
ryan, i can squeeze into a 7 i think. that'd be sick. and i'm looking at a slip on the water.

so the rest of you guys are saying that lake utah is not really an ideal place to make my home lake, but because i'm in a pinch it won't be terrible? does it get windy there often? i'm kinda hoping to ride every day from SLC, is this lake gonna work for that? is it my only option?

what lakes do you all usually ride?
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       04-01-2011, 8:31 AM Reply   
Mike ~~ If your close UT Lake its worth it... It's shallow and the wind does kick up quite often. Just like Jordanelle if you keep it a Lindon Harbor there's a web cam that you can always check on your boat depending where you slip it. If you're looking to ride everyday and you're in the valley its all good. Morning/Evening sets are epic there at times. If you get it wet slipped anywhere we all will be jealous!
LAKES
I ride them all... Professional boat whore right here!
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       04-01-2011, 9:28 AM Reply   
Mike, for boards I'm hooked up with Obrien so I have a Vice 136, Decade 138, Valhalla 138 and I just got my 2011 Format 137. As for bindings, you probably would fit in my 2010 Vice CT's. They are size 7-8 so they should probably work. Before we get to ride together, let me know what board you want to ride and I'll get it all set up for you.

UT Lake can have great riding conditions, but since the lake is shallow, the wakes are a little smaller then the deeper lakes. Like Josh said though, if you're going to be in the valley and riding a lot, it could be a good option, especially if it's water slip. And you can always check on it via the webcam website that Josh was talking about.
Old    dhorton            04-01-2011, 12:05 PM Reply   
So looking at the forecasts I can find online it looks like weather will be clear tomorrow until mid afternoon. So I propose rolling from my house around 1030 or 11ish.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       04-01-2011, 12:56 PM Reply   
Where you thinking David? Give me a call to discuss.
Old    dhorton            04-02-2011, 6:23 PM Reply   
BOOM! Autofocus works!
Attached Images

Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       04-02-2011, 6:59 PM Reply   
SWEET! Time to grab that shizzzz!
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       04-02-2011, 9:30 PM Reply   
Fun times today guys, let's do it again soon!
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-03-2011, 1:07 PM Reply   
SWEET PIC!!!

Mike, what about getting a Storage unit close to ya? Could be an option. I have a buddy that does it and swears by it.

Boat comes out of Box Elder Fairgrounds on Tuesday!! To bad Im in the Arctic COMMON 2 WEEKS!!

Im hoping for better weather next time home, It was junk last time
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       04-03-2011, 2:17 PM Reply   
Matt ~~ Junk is the 8" off heavy ass white fluff that dumped last night in my yard!

I just want to share the stoke that I spaced about. I finally did a legit (slightly booted) Cab W2W yesterday!
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-03-2011, 7:15 PM Reply   
Josh, LOL I thought you guys would have decent weather when I left Thurs Typically the Junk just keeps following me not giving me a break
Hey! for sure lets get out this season and make it happen!! Ive been wanting to see you throw it down!

Dave! hey bro I never did show you my last vid i did. Im still learning, but its fun to put together, someday I'll be as good as you...Mr Paparazzi!

from DURAMAT on Vimeo.

Old    dhorton            04-04-2011, 10:18 AM Reply   
Matt ~ nice vid! Let's go for a surf set one of these days, your goofy wave looks dialed!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       04-04-2011, 11:21 AM Reply   
Matt ~~ About 1 min in vid it looks like you installed a cup holder in the back! Is that what I see?
Old     (rosenbergmike)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-06-2011, 10:02 AM Reply   
ryan, thanks so much dude. i'd love to try the decade if you don't mind. and i'd also love to get out on the water! i am pretty much free everyday until the 20th, when i leave on a trip (and maybe come back with my boat).

matt, what storage does your buddy use? i was hoping to not have to buy a truck, but i'm super sketched about utah lake. i'm going to look at a slip there today, but i'm concerned about the depth and how its gonna affect the wake (and my prop!)

sorry to be such a pain, but maybe you guys can calm me down here. i'm coming from a place where i was 15-20 min from my slip and decent water, and i used to ride everyday before or after work. i don't have a truck, so i was looking to get a similar setup going out here. i'm not opposed to the storage unit and buying a beater truck if there is good water that i can get to every day, but i'm starting to get a little worried that there really isn't a good commutable lake. how far are you guys driving to ride? does anyone ride before/after workl?

i know i'm being such a n00b, but it's coming down to crunch time for me to decide if i should ride out here this summer or temporarily move back to where my boat is. i know, most people wouldn't really see this as a "problem" but once you're hooked, you're hooked!

thanks for your help guys!
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       04-06-2011, 10:41 AM Reply   
Mike,
No worries, hopefully we can get out soon but this damn weather just doesn't want to cooperate.

As for UT lake, don't worry about your prop. It's shallow, but not that shallow. The lake depth will make the wake smaller then usual but if it fits your daily commute and you're riding at least once a day then it's worth it. You'll just need to keep an eye on it when the wind really kicks up and if you end up getting a water slip, really make sure to secure it down well because of the wind.

I live up in Layton so I take my boat to Willard (closest lake), it's about a 20-30' tow depending on traffic. Not bad at all since I live right off of I-15. But if I'm riding on someone's boat, I have no problem driving to other lakes to ride, including Utah Lake.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-07-2011, 4:23 PM Reply   
Mike, my buddy lives in Ogden and has a storage unit by his house where he keeps boat and stuff. Most in Ogden area are either hitting Pineview reservoir or Willard Bay it's almost 6's depending on what day and conditions are.

Im in Willard so I'm on the water in 10-15 min whether it's the north ramp or south ramp.

Boat is home!! Now for my hitch to end (1 week)
Old    dhorton            04-08-2011, 12:02 PM Reply   
Man I hope this weather clears up soon! Time for a chase boat session, pics from the boat are getting boring!
Attached Images

Old    dhorton            04-08-2011, 12:15 PM Reply   
The rest of the Crew
Attached Images

Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       04-08-2011, 12:49 PM Reply   
O ya... I know Victor is down for some Chase!

Em I sitting down enough in that first pic? Love it!
Old     (imondi)      Join Date: Aug 2010       04-09-2011, 8:49 AM Reply   
I am definitely down for riding tomorrow and we can get some good pics and video! Im shooting for a Monday session too if anybody isnt working!
Old    dhorton            04-10-2011, 9:32 PM Reply   
Suck it TrebeK!
Attached Images

Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       04-11-2011, 12:07 PM Reply   
Wohooo that is a Money shot right there, Wakeology will like that one!

Thanks guys, good time out! Glad the water calmed down for a second set...
Old    dhorton            04-12-2011, 9:27 AM Reply   
Grabbed lipslide = LEGIT
Attached Images

Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       04-12-2011, 10:42 AM Reply   
You don't Lipslide until you grab Lipslide... LOL, NICE! Next is to follow that up with a face SLAP!
Old     (wga220)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-14-2011, 7:19 PM Reply   
hibernation is over jordanelle is ready to roll see you all out there soon
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       04-14-2011, 9:43 PM Reply   
Yo Mark! It's about time you wake your happy ass up! Put the sleds down and let's do this.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-15-2011, 1:24 PM Reply   
Can't believe you guys are riding... Well, I can believe it, it just throws me for a loop every Spring/Fall....
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       04-15-2011, 3:14 PM Reply   
E.J. ~~ I'm sure your pics of St. George will be hitting soon.
Old    dhorton            04-16-2011, 9:49 PM Reply   
DD found some smooth to get his carve on today!
Attached Images

Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       04-17-2011, 12:04 AM Reply   
I likey!!!!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       04-17-2011, 8:14 AM Reply   
Man did I miss out! I did get about 6 games of killer ping pong on though...
Old     (DerrickW)      Join Date: Apr 2011       04-20-2011, 2:13 PM Reply   
Hey wakeworlders-

Wow, you guys take some good pics!
I posted in another thread looking for some people to ride with and was told all the cool riders hang out here.
Anyway, I just moved to Salt Lake and I'm looking for some cool people to ride with. Just fyi, I'm anti-pretentious. All that really matters to me when it comes to wakeboarding is a nice day, flat water, good company and I'm thrilled. Of course a decked out wake boat always helps!

I'm not sure what this "third" business is all about, we used to ride all the time with just two of us. I've been in and around the water for most my life, so I can help out wherever is needed. I know what it takes to have and use a boat ($$), so I'm down to contribute to gas, help clean,or however I can contribute.
I'm also an awesome driver, can run you through some crazy doubleups if your up for it. I'm an advanced/intermediate rider, whatever that means, and I've given lessons for money before so I could probably help you out with some tricks if you'd like.

I used to follow the 100 degree rule (sometimes less!) when I lived in Oregon, but after living in Orlando, FL for 8 years I'm not too thrilled about the cold cold water riding. But I'm down for some 120-130 degree rule riding for sure! I know lake powell will be that warm very soon!

Also looking for some people to go snowboarding up at Brighton with, Tuesday and Wednesday nights (half price) until it gets a little warmer.
Send me a PM or feel free to respond to thread, hope to ride with you soon!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       04-20-2011, 7:37 PM Reply   
Derrick ~ Welcome... Keep on here and you will be riding in no time. Well when the weather warms up, LOL.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-24-2011, 1:30 PM Reply   
Derrick, Welcome here! Keep visiting this thread!

Was able to get out behind Cody's Falcon for the first time this year at Willard. BUTTER EVERYWHERE!
Attached Images

Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-24-2011, 1:32 PM Reply   
Some More
Attached Images

Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-24-2011, 1:34 PM Reply   
More
Attached Images

Old    dhorton            04-26-2011, 12:22 PM Reply   
Nice Matt! Looks like you guys had the whole lake to yourselves.

By the way have I mentioned how SICK of this freakin' weather I am yet?

I got driven off the golf course yesterday by hail. Looks like we may be skipping spring in UT again this year!
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-26-2011, 12:46 PM Reply   
Thanx Dave!

Im sick of this crap too! This shiz has followed me home for the last 3 months! As soon as I head back to the arctic you all get fabulous weather

Cody has his boat dialed in with his ballast system and with Switchblade for boarding and surfing. Im workin on mine if my parts ever get here NO MORE FRIGGIN HAND PUMPS!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       04-27-2011, 9:45 PM Reply   
Matt ~~ I will be happy to test it out
Old    dhorton            04-28-2011, 8:56 AM Reply   
Matt ~ HAND PUMPS... come on you know they make 12V pumps don't you!
Though I remember back in the day when we would fill big coolers or plastic totes with 5 gal buckets, then bungee cord the lid to keep the splashing to a minimum!
Oh the good old days, they weren't that good
Old    DMerc            04-29-2011, 10:21 PM Reply   
Shima,

Decade or stay with the Natural?

Thanks for the heads up.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       04-30-2011, 2:49 AM Reply   
Darin,
If you've been riding the Natural, the Decade is a natural progression, no pun intended. How long you been riding the Natural for now?

I rode the Vice for 5 years and it's taking me a little time to get use to Josh's new pro model, the Format. But it should be great once I get more time on it.
Old     (elduke)      Join Date: May 2002       05-02-2011, 8:57 PM Reply   
Shima,

Been on the Natural for 4 years. Haven't ridden much in the last 2. Because of my age I do not want a "getting used to it" time. I want it to feel like the Natural with a little more speed. Or maybe I should just work out my arms more.

Josh will probably chime in here with a Wakeology bit but I am kind of an old-school O'Brien guy now.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       05-03-2011, 9:37 AM Reply   
D ~ Ride what is the best for you... You asked about Obrien so all you get is Obrien feedback
Old     (elduke)      Join Date: May 2002       05-03-2011, 10:28 AM Reply   
Josh,

I thought you would like that.
Old     (elduke)      Join Date: May 2002       05-03-2011, 10:30 AM Reply   
BTW the pictures above that Matt posted where you guys are surfing on butter makes me almost want to cry. Use the butter and strap it on.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-03-2011, 11:46 AM Reply   
Darin,
If you like the characteristics of the Natural but looking for more speed, I highly suggest the Decade. I have one you could demo if you're interested (138cm). Let me know.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       05-03-2011, 1:02 PM Reply   
D ~ Ha... I support the product but don't jam it down people's throat... Take Shima up on that Decade, I hear it's legit.
Old     (elduke)      Join Date: May 2002       05-03-2011, 1:54 PM Reply   
Shima,

Yes I will take you up on the demo sometime. I am waiting for the water temps to get a legit 60 degrees before I put on the dry. Thanks for the demo offer. That is very cool. We will have to get out and ride sometime this summer. It has been a few too many moons that have passed since we have ridden together.

BTW Josh, I do like the shape of your boards. They look good. Sometime I will have to try one.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-03-2011, 5:14 PM Reply   
Darin,
I'll be back in SLC mid next week. Once you start riding, let me know and we'll arrange for you to get on it. Maybe we can even make a day of it since it has been probably 6-7 years since we rode together!
Old     (davee22ve)      Join Date: Nov 2007       05-03-2011, 9:06 PM Reply   
Hey Josh, Its Dave from AZ hows everybody been? Im back in Utah and just recently did a engine upgrade on my boat this year so I had to re-prop my boat, I have a acme 1235 prop if you know anyone that would be interested. We should hit the lake some time!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       05-04-2011, 8:26 AM Reply   
Ha we were just talking about Mr. Rogers and where he went while driving through all that hell construction this weekend. Where you staying this year?
Old     (rosenbergmike)      Join Date: Mar 2011       05-04-2011, 8:41 AM Reply   
hey guys i'm back from mexico! anyone riding any time soon? unemployment's got me itching to ride!
Old     (knuckledragger)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-04-2011, 11:42 AM Reply   
Anyone up for Willard Bay tomorrow morning? We're looking to get a surf set or two in but would also pull some wakeboards as well if you didn't want to surf. Just myself and one other guy right now. We do have a third but he can only come out for a couple of hours. Looking to be there about 9am or shortly after and ride until around 4pm unless we get worn out by then.

We'd be on my Centurion Falcon V.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-04-2011, 6:48 PM Reply   
Knuckle forgot to mention the two 1100 sacs in the lockers, the 600 bow sac, and Switchblade to boot your arse off a legit wake! Josh, youd better jump over this! LOL
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       05-04-2011, 7:18 PM Reply   
Man I wish I could... SD tomorrow late to get some Fri surf on the coast. Every other week I have a weekday off if anybody is interested setting up summer sessions. I know David H will be DFTR!

Mike R. ~ Your shirts, how many screens and colors? I will see what I can do to get you a price.
Old     (rosenbergmike)      Join Date: Mar 2011       05-05-2011, 10:01 AM Reply   
cody, my car isn't going to be ready until late today or early tomorrow, so no go for me. apparently my car was worse off than i knew. thanks for the offer though, normally i can go almost any day.

josh, its a 4 color logo on black shirts and 3 color on white shirts. thanks for remembering, i totally forgot. also, i can email you the file if you need it.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       05-05-2011, 10:08 AM Reply   
Mike R. ~ Check your FB, I can't get a PM to work on here. Send me the logo and I will get ya a price some time.
Old    dhorton            05-06-2011, 12:23 PM Reply   
To many things going on for me to get out this weekend. Anybody have some time next week? I can probably sneak away from work one day Mon-Thur.