Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       01-06-2011, 9:58 AM Reply   
I have an open invite on what do to for rail event this season and would like to hear other opinions on what you want to see. This event will go down during Powellapalooza so it has the option to go over a few days. This is a huge party area at this time and really don't want to do a wake event all day long. Something for 2 or 3 days so riders still have time to hit their favorite concerts or just party down. I'm really concerned to have a friendly format that brings a lot of people to ride and watch. Do you do head to head, overall, best trick, brackets,etc. ?
The set up will be a winch style with 3 objects on both sides, what they will be I have no idea. Last year they had crazy kicker, rainbow rail, mellow flat rail, another kicker, and a up flat down rail. It's in the marina and pretty big so between runs and riders there will be a little down time so having a MC, DJ, and plenty of goods to keep the crowd into it is a must.
Help me out... What would you like to see or do?

Attached is a few pics of the area and objects...
Kicker #1
Name:  IMG_3525.JPG
Views: 676
Size:  56.3 KB

Kicker #2
Name:  IMG_6762.JPG
Views: 684
Size:  45.7 KB

Rail #1
Name:  IMG_3315.JPG
Views: 671
Size:  74.4 KB

Rail #2
Name:  IMG_6638.JPG
Views: 677
Size:  77.8 KB

Rail #3
Name:  IMG_7045.JPG
Views: 682
Size:  47.5 KB

Party area
Name:  IMG_7058.JPG
Views: 671
Size:  52.3 KB
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-06-2011, 10:45 AM Reply   
bikini contest for sure
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       01-06-2011, 10:47 AM Reply   
+1 for that Kyle
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-06-2011, 10:57 AM Reply   
i like all the obstacles. a bikini contest should be popular as well.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-06-2011, 12:16 PM Reply   
The rails look awesome. I was in a System 2.0 contest in the summer that put riders in a head to head format, without actually being a head to head competition. All riders were judged in a single pool, but took their 2 runs in pairs. One rider takes their run, another one does, then back to the first one, and the second one, and then the next pair. I really liked this format, for a couple reasons. I am by no means a proficient rail rider, so it was good to be judged against the whole field, not just the one very advanced guy I was paired with. On the other hand, riding against someone so much better than myself made me push my abilities a little more and go for a few harder tricks. Not a fantastic explanation, but hopefully that got my message across.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       01-06-2011, 2:40 PM Reply   
Right on, thanks Ben!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-06-2011, 4:57 PM Reply   
How many winches will you have? Any thought to just make it an open format where everyone rides and just has fun, without a contest?
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       01-07-2011, 9:44 AM Reply   
Small ~~ It's only going to be one running but there's been rumors of a system 2.0 type setup. I really like the idea of having a contest, it seems to bring different types of people that's always watch these events happen and always thought they can do it too. People can come free ride all year long and I have seen a bigger turn out during their local contests for some reason.

What about the idea where the riders put in a small deposit and have a winner take all, as a side pot to the event??? Hummmmm
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-07-2011, 10:27 AM Reply   
If putting on events has taught me anything it's don't rely on just one winch. You need a back up for sure and possibly 2.

Rainbow transfer rail looks sick btw... nice work
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       01-07-2011, 10:34 AM Reply   
Luker ~~ If the winch goes down we would be using a waverunner... Happened last year.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       01-08-2011, 9:23 PM Reply   
BUMP!

No other suggestions?
Old     (chrishopf)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-09-2011, 6:58 AM Reply   
I would just use the wave runner instead of the winch in the first place. Way more efficient Rider/Time wise, and the pulls the riders will get from the Ski will be better for things like that transfer. Overall, the riders will get more time to ride and session the rails by using a Jet Ski, and will be way happier as a result! On the other hand, a system 2.0 would be the best choice if that becomes and option for you.

CH
Old     (chasemac)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-09-2011, 6:04 PM Reply   
Don't care what you do... as long as you invite me again! ha!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       01-10-2011, 9:28 AM Reply   
Yo Chase!
You know you and your girl will get the invite again for sure. Powellapalooza is set for 2011 for Sept. 22 - 25, mark your calendar. I want to push for the rail comp to be Fri and Sat or just Sat. Sun last time was just to rough since I had to make that 7 hr drive late in the day. Just a little side hint our boat's theme will have some spooky in it, LOL... Just wait and see! I did enjoy your 80's gear last year though!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       01-12-2011, 1:34 PM Reply   
What about the idea of a bracket style elimination... Winners & losers brackets, head to head...?