Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-11-2015, 1:04 PM Reply   
I am looking into surfboards to have on my boat. We are all beginners and just starting to try wake surfing since I sold my I/o to get a V-drive. I am thinking I need two boards for us, one for myself and one for the girls. I'm 6' tall and 300lbs and will be looking for the easiest board to get up on. I don't really care if it doesn't offer growth when getting better. I can always buy a better board later. I would also need a board for a lighter weight woman about 140 lbs 5'7" and preferably able to support up to about 180 lbs if that can be on the same board. I am looking at surf style and not skim style boards. Any recommendations? I have been watching the videos on how to wake surf on you tube but I haven't seen anything on board sizing or.recomendations.
Old     (Captainkurk72)      Join Date: Feb 2015       08-11-2015, 1:23 PM Reply   
I have a Ronix Cortez that I bought used cheap. I have had guys 275 and myself with kids that totaled 300lbs. It rides good loaded and have got people up after a few tries that I would have never imagined surfing. The smallest rider has been my daughter and she's 5'5" and 120#. As for a kids board not sure but I am sure others will chime in.
Old     (Tolleson2354)      Join Date: Jun 2015       08-12-2015, 9:19 AM Reply   
We just bought a CWB Bently not to long ago and have really liked it, easy to ride but also responsive enough and fast enough to enjoy. We have had a wide range of people on it big and small. We also have a V215 and with 2 of us in the boat and with the floor ballast full and a 750# sac in the surf locker we can surf all day
Old     (208)      Join Date: Jun 2015       08-12-2015, 9:27 PM Reply   
Best board hands down for you would be the Ronix Longboard 5'4. I own it and it's an amazing, fun, stable board. I make all adult beginners on my boat learn on this board (how to get up, foot positioning, weighting) before I let them even touch another board. I personally love riding it...I'm 6'1, 278lbs. They make a smaller version for lighter riders..but I'd recommend the longer if you are going to ride it.

Don't waste your money on a LF Fish, a broadcast or any of those typical boat boards. Besides for being tough to break, dent, hurt...they are bricks.

I also highly recommend watching some videos on how to properly drive your new boat to make surfing easier for your beginners. How to setup the rope, where to put the rider prior to throttle, which way to turn and how quickly to accelerate. This was just as important for me 6 weeks ago when I took ownership of our 1st boat. We now have 60 hours on it and surf 90% of the time. My 10 year old prefers the phase 5 scamp over anything else...so if you need a true kids board...that would be my recommendation.

Best of luck.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-12-2015, 9:47 PM Reply   
Next time you're out at rollins you can try out my ronix koal power tail if you want.
Old     (allzway)      Join Date: Feb 2014       08-13-2015, 11:03 AM Reply   
Our beginner board is the Hyperlite Landlock 5.9. It works for all sizes from small kids to larger adults.

It will become a boring board for users pretty quickly though, but it is absolutely awesome for getting beginners up quick and getting them going ropeless.

Despite the negatives comments mentioned.. The Liquid Force is not a bad beginner to intermediate board. It is usually the next board we break out for guest after they master the Landlock.

As we progressed we moved to the Ronix Marshmellow and the Phase 5 Diamond... but these are not beginner boards.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-13-2015, 1:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorlan View Post
Next time you're out at rollins you can try out my ronix koal power tail if you want.
Thanks J. Probably wont be going back to Rollins for a while. The crowd was insane for boarding. Plus I still need to actually learn how to surf...lol. It should be interesting
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-13-2015, 1:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 208 View Post

I also highly recommend watching some videos on how to properly drive your new boat to make surfing easier for your beginners.

Best of luck.
Thanks, I will look for some videos. I'm not new to boating, I have had several others but this is my first V-drive and I'm curious how the boat will handle with it sacked out in one corner.
Old     (pcuezze)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-13-2015, 7:37 PM Reply   
I have used a LF Nose Rider for newbies on our boat. It is easy to flip up even for Groms but has enough buoyancy for my buddy who is 280. That said, as I have watched lots of people learn and gained a little experience myself, I have almost ditched the idea of a boat board altogether and have had great success starting people out on my Ronix Carbon Thruster (in a quad configuration). It does tend to wobble a little bit for the first few minutes of riding, but after that riders seem to progress MUCH faster on it. I think because it responds so much faster than the Nose Rider, riders are able to get back into the pocket much easier. Bigger floaty boards tend to be slow down the line - so when you put your foot down (front or back) you can literally count to 2 or 3 before the board actually moves in that direction. Watching newbies, I think the ability to play around in the pocket really decreases the time it takes them to go wireless. That's just my personal observation and I could be full of it though....

Patrick
Old     (ATB0713)      Join Date: Oct 2013 Location: Massachusetts       08-14-2015, 10:39 AM Reply   
i've got the 2015 Ronix Koal Thruster 5 foot 7 inches. i just learned how to wake surf like 3 months ago. I've had a bunch of friends out on the board all summer. My sister and her friends who are all in that 140 ish range, and my brother and our friends who are all 200-250 ish. I would strongly recommend it. its been good to me, and i can only imagine it will be good to you.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-16-2015, 9:11 AM Reply   
RM,

Email me about getting you on the correct boat board.
thanks
Mark
Old     (rhoadsdj)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-19-2015, 1:44 PM Reply   
Hey can you point me to these videos? I'm having a hell of a time pulling a few folks I'm trying to teach right now.

Seems like anybody who has wakeboarded before does just fine - but otherwise the lack of board controls causes them to fly into or out of the wake and crash even though they get up every time...

I've tried slow, fast, driving right, driving left, etc. and I can't figure out the best way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 208 View Post
Best board hands down for you would be the Ronix Longboard 5'4. I own it and it's an amazing, fun, stable board. I make all adult beginners on my boat learn on this board (how to get up, foot positioning, weighting) before I let them even touch another board. I personally love riding it...I'm 6'1, 278lbs. They make a smaller version for lighter riders..but I'd recommend the longer if you are going to ride it.

Don't waste your money on a LF Fish, a broadcast or any of those typical boat boards. Besides for being tough to break, dent, hurt...they are bricks.

I also highly recommend watching some videos on how to properly drive your new boat to make surfing easier for your beginners. How to setup the rope, where to put the rider prior to throttle, which way to turn and how quickly to accelerate. This was just as important for me 6 weeks ago when I took ownership of our 1st boat. We now have 60 hours on it and surf 90% of the time. My 10 year old prefers the phase 5 scamp over anything else...so if you need a true kids board...that would be my recommendation.

Best of luck.
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-19-2015, 1:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoadsdj View Post
Hey can you point me to these videos? I'm having a hell of a time pulling a few folks I'm trying to teach right now.

Seems like anybody who has wakeboarded before does just fine - but otherwise the lack of board controls causes them to fly into or out of the wake and crash even though they get up every time...

I've tried slow, fast, driving right, driving left, etc. and I can't figure out the best way...
loop the rope on the side of the tower instead of the top. it will pull begginers out away from the wake and keep them from falling. Then they can work their way into the wave
Old     (allzway)      Join Date: Feb 2014       08-19-2015, 2:21 PM Reply   
Search for Ragboy's wake9.com surfing videos on Youtube. They were helpful for us and helped us how teach others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4PYyUKfAFs