Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (355spider)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-21-2015, 1:39 PM Reply   
I found a decent deal on a leftover 2014 G21 but it's still 15-20k more than a Malibu 23LSV, Mastercraft x30, or Tige RZ2/4. The salesman was saying how the Nautique was built with 2 pieces. Hull and upper deck with the others being hull with must pieces bolted to it which means everything shakes loose eventually. Is this in anyway true. Of course he said Malibu were of low builds quality.
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-21-2015, 1:54 PM Reply   
G21 is an awesome boat, but so are the others you listed. Sounds like salesman BS to me...My Malibu is 10 years old and there is no rattles anywhere.
Old     (AdamBrewer)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-21-2015, 2:27 PM Reply   
Tige is two pieces as well, hull and deck. Go check out the other brands, open up compartments and check for yourself
Old     (OneCent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-21-2015, 4:28 PM Reply   
The G21 is awesome, great out of the box wakeboard and surfwake, a lot of storage, a lot of cool and useful features.

I do like the construction and build quality of the G, you can see a difference for example to a Malibu 23LSV. That does not mean the Malibu is bad or don't work, but there is a difference.
Old     (tmb80)      Join Date: May 2010       08-21-2015, 5:09 PM Reply   
I can't speak to the build quality vs others but it doesn't get better than a nautique in terms of build, fit, and finish. The others are good boats too though.

I surfed and drove a 2015 G21 with just myself and the salesman a few weeks ago. That boat is amazing! Incredible surf wake with only factory ballast, handled rough water amazing, and storage was impeccable for a 21'. If you could slalom behind one I would have traded my 2012 210 immediately.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-21-2015, 5:23 PM Reply   
Maybe your deal isn't decent enough! I'm surprised the x30 is that much less? What's the engine choice among them? Granted the G is probably the most expensive of the bunch but it's also the very best of the bunch u listed. I don't know much about tige as a company but do know Nautique as a company and support of there customers is a step above Bu and even mc from my own experience.
None are bad boats at all just up to u to decide if the extra coin worth it to u. But on your list if didn't go with the G I'd take the MC, BU then Tige prob in that order. And it's mostly due to resale as I think Bu and tige are equally built just more people know BU.
Old     (355spider)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-21-2015, 7:00 PM Reply   
I guess the question is, is the G series 20% better than its competitors?
Old     (That_Guy)      Join Date: Aug 2015 Location: Central Ohio       08-22-2015, 6:07 AM Reply   
I toured the Malibu/Axis factory a couple months back and they are most definitely built the same way as you described the G being built. The hull and the top deck come together right at the rub rail. To be honest if that's what your dealer is touting as the greatest difference, which isn't even a fact, between the boats, I'd give it some hard thinking before buying a boat from them. My .02
Old     (355spider)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-22-2015, 7:42 AM Reply   
Yeah that's about what I told him. I said you realize everyone else says they have the best quality as well. Kinda like our local Aston Martin dealer who poo poos every other brands as if they were pieces of ****. I can't even talk to the guy because I know cars.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-22-2015, 8:12 AM Reply   
I think what he meant is that BU used to bolt on a lot of panels/pieces that were molded in on other top brands. This seems like it may have been a cost saving measure. Not sure if that's still the case or not.
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-22-2015, 3:14 PM Reply   
Nautique's G-Series are built in 3 pieces. Pretty much everything else on the water is 2. (Hull and Deck).
Old     (OneCent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-22-2015, 3:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 355spider View Post
I guess the question is, is the G series 20% better than its competitors?
That depends on your own requirements and wishes ;-)

For me, the G fits my needs as a wake and surf boat - i don't use it for chilling, i don't use for cruising. And that boat is made all around the wake and what you need if you go out for some sessions. I don't want to deal with bags in the boat, i hate that, i don't want to have p&p in my rear locker, because on one side i have my 3 surfboards stored, the other side has a large box for the wet stuff.

So yes, if you have the money... if not, Bu, Axis and Co. makes some nice boats and they make good wakes too.
Old     (355spider)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-22-2015, 4:32 PM Reply   
I've got the money. That's not the issue. I just hate to waste my money and my wife hates it more than I do if you know what I mean. Is the G really worth that much more. I do really like all that storage but my current smaller boat really has plenty.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-22-2015, 7:46 PM Reply   
For surfing? No.

You can do better.

Factory order a new centurion (who is now owned by correct craft, who makes nautiques) and it will likely be less money and a better wake for similar build quality.
Old     (355spider)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-22-2015, 8:31 PM Reply   
I tried looking at centurions. I really like their ram fill system. Our nearest dealer is an hour and a half away and it's a bass boat dealership. The salesman dais he knew nothing about them which I'm sure goes for the rest of their crew including mechanics so I think that's out for me.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-23-2015, 2:40 PM Reply   
Basically it's like this, the G is more boat with better fit and finish than anything else, build quality, probably equal. Fit and finish, better.

IMO that boat is a bit of a waste for just surfing. I mean, the surf wake is okay, but nothing to write home about. You'll do better in a Tige/Centurion for your hard earned dollars. Thats my 02.

My brother also said the surf wake on the 22lsv was nice but I haven't ridden it
Old     (355spider)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-23-2015, 3:28 PM Reply   
I drove the LSV this morning and it was a pretty nice ride.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-23-2015, 4:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 355spider View Post
I drove the LSV this morning and it was a pretty nice ride.

Who cares about the ride? Maybe if this was a forum for offshore or I/O boats maybe. I hope u rode behind it.
Old     (lashburn1)      Join Date: Oct 2014       08-23-2015, 7:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicron View Post
Who cares about the ride? Maybe if this was a forum for offshore or I/O boats maybe. I hope u rode behind it.
I care about the ride 100% ever time all the time.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-23-2015, 8:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lashburn1 View Post
I care about the ride 100% ever time all the time.

Boat rides perfect, everytime....
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-23-2015, 8:11 PM Reply   
Quote:

Seriously u guys actually ride when it's crap out? And everyone of these boats will drive threw rough stuff decent enough to get u back to a ramp. But if your so worried about rough water ride then none of these wake boats from BU,MC or Nautique can hold a candle to the rough water handling of the the new reverse drive offerings from
Bryant and some of the other I/O's that are using that Volvo forward drive system. It's just seems silly to me when people talk about wanting rough water handling. These boats will do it ok but that's not what they excel at or are designed to do and quite frankly who actually goes out and does boards sports when it's so rough your worries about sinking your boat?
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-24-2015, 5:20 AM Reply   
Ride quality is super important to us as well. Sure most boats will be ok to get you back to the dock but will pound you to death. We came from a flatter bottom wake boat to a deep V wake boat and it's night and day difference. Your pic is nice but the reality is most of us don't get those conditions. We boat on a huge river with big water. No we do not ride the big water but must cross it to get to the smaller river that feeds into it for good water.
Old     (lashburn1)      Join Date: Oct 2014       08-24-2015, 7:05 AM Reply   
Quote:

LOL , GOOD ONE RON-... But, YES, we ride in our boat in all conditions, Not JUST behind it.
Bin caught in Wind, heavy river traffic., enough times.

For us the Boat is more than for Just Surfing, towing...
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-24-2015, 7:33 AM Reply   
There's literally no reason you cannot surf when the water is crap. None. And it doesn't matter the hull shape at that speed.

If you're surfing in the morning when it is glass and people are trying to wakeboard and ski you should have your boat revoked.
Old     (lashburn1)      Join Date: Oct 2014       08-24-2015, 8:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
There's literally no reason you cannot surf when the water is crap. None. And it doesn't matter the hull shape at that speed.

If you're surfing in the morning when it is glass and people are trying to wakeboard and ski you should have your boat revoked.
Although we do not ride in the Morning...and probably never will (until after 9-10am)
..Water conditions, mostly Lake/River traffic totally affect the Surf Wake ...
Sure if you ride a few feet off the Transom...you can stand there..
But if you are riding 10-15 back...and the Boat is going thru Mid Day waves on the river/Lake...the Wave is altered by the Boat pitching and Rolling, it will Closeout on you and Flatten out... not much fun at all

That said..I still give skier/Boarders the Nod to AM riding..
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       08-24-2015, 8:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post

I have to agree with this guy /\ /\
Old     (kjswensen)      Join Date: Mar 2015       08-24-2015, 8:56 AM Reply   
We just completed our little Surfest 2015 a week ago and the riders filled out surveys about the boats they surfed behind. The results may help, they may not...

http://www.utahwakeaddicts.com/survey-results.html
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-24-2015, 9:07 AM Reply   
If im up and out before you to bad we are surfing . Hate to tell you guy's that still wakeboard you are now the minority .Water conditions affect the surf wake just like any water sport. If you don't believe you are now the minority just look at the wakeboarding section on this forum. Notice total posts surfing is going to pass it up and has not had it's own section that long.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-24-2015, 9:45 AM Reply   
Because old rich people are buying boats for the sole purpose of surfing which is killing wakeboarding and continues to make boat riding unattainable.

I have no problem surfing at 3 in the afternoon, and surfing 20 feet back from the back of the boat in 2 foot chop. Even getting spins in. I suck at surfing and that is within my skill level. There's absolutely no need to bomb the wake boarders and skiers out of the lake from 6-10 am. You may as well be pulling a tube.

At least some of you have cable parks locally.

Last edited by simplej; 08-24-2015 at 9:51 AM.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-24-2015, 11:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjswensen View Post
We just completed our little Surfest 2015 a week ago and the riders filled out surveys about the boats they surfed behind. The results may help, they may not...

http://www.utahwakeaddicts.com/survey-results.html

Holy cow! What a survey this is gonna get brought up and cause some heated debate I'm guessing!

Would really be nice to see something like this for wakeboard wakes too. Amazed u could get all these boats out together.

I tend to agree with simple in that yeah surfing can be done later in day. And honestly I don't see surfers really doing 6am just because they know that they can show up at 9am and still not have to worry about the water being to bad that it screws them up. Which isn't the case for skiers or wakeboarders.
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       08-24-2015, 1:29 PM Reply   
We surf when we want, wakeboard when we want, and tow my little ones on the (GASP!!!) tube when we want. Although the tube never comes out until they have ridden a board. Am I going to come trash your water if you're in a cove or away from everyone? No, but we ride early and if I was there first and we're surfing.... Too bad.

I'm one of the old (wish I was rich) guys now and we heard the same whining from the skiers when we were boarding and it was a new sport back in the day with a pylon and concrete for ballast. Ha ha, The wake boarders are the new prima donna skiers. Lol.. Just kidding, I usually wakeboard first but I cant go all day like I used to. The girls also love to surf and some of them wouldn't even try a wakeboard before, so at least they are out there enjoying it. I still get pissed when we are setting up in the cove we found with some butter with the flag out and some a$$hat pulls his Bayliner through with the tube 20' off my bow. But guess what? It's a free country and they have as much right to be there as we do. Just like on the mountain. Not every trip is a perfect bluebird powder day. The day on the lake is supposed to be fun, get over your selves and remember what brought you to the water in the first place.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-24-2015, 1:37 PM Reply   
The difference I can run two wakeboard boats and a ski boat on 350 acres of open lake and as long as everyone knows how to drive it stays nice and flat. I feel bad for the skiers in the AM, not because we are "ruining" their water but because they don't know how to drive a ski line properly and avoid wakes.

When another boat sets up their slalom course I cut my run 300 yards short so I don't send turn rollers into their slalom course set up around the corner of the island.

Throw a tuber or a surfer in that mix and you're toast.

Not all of us have 2000 acre lakes with 50 coves to ride in.

Lack of mutual courtesy is making me salty.
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       08-24-2015, 2:02 PM Reply   
Nailed it!! Mutual courtesy.