Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-23-2014, 8:27 PM Reply   
Been wakeboarding for many years and surfing since 08. All of us can easily ride all of our boards and a few of us are doing airs and surface 3's on the skim boards.

So far we have an older Inland Surfer Blue Lake, a Slingshot Arcane and a decent skim board. I am looking at adding in another board for the more advanced riders to do airs and what not. Has anyone ridden the Chase Sixer? If so, any feedback? Looks like a pretty sweet board. One other question, are surface 3's possible on a board like this or is that kind of out of the question?

Link: http://www.liquidforce.com/can/wakes...ase-sixer.html
Attached Images

Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-24-2014, 8:15 AM Reply   
L W overall you will not find much love for wakeboard brands on this forum. Chase is a great rider, person, and ambassador for the sport. Is his LF model a good board or a good choice for you all? That is pretty subjective. It is a technical board and like all boards some riders will like it some will not. It is a rear-footed board, with a healthy curve. It is suited to pumping down the line to build its speed, lift/looseness and release.

Surface 3s, yes, no and maybe. Depends on experience, leg strength and fins. Removing the rear fins makes surfaces 3s a lot easier. Possible? definitely.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-24-2014, 12:05 PM Reply   
OK, thanks Nick. I appreciate the reply. I've noticed the "hardcore" surfers don't like the wake brands of boards. They prefer the "Shred Stixx, Phase 5, etc...

I'm able to get a pretty sweet deal on this board. It will be used by myself and a couple friends who can already do surface 3's and small airs with the inland. I kind of find surfing pretty easy behind the boat but as I'm getting older I expect we may surf a little more. Still no substitute for wakeboarding. I will always pick wakeboarding over surfing if given the choice. I am just looking for something a little more aggressive, that is better for doing airs.
Old    rullery            03-24-2014, 12:14 PM Reply   
I have not ridden the sixer, but i have heard that it is a pretty tough board to ride. Sounds like it needs LOTS of pumping to get anywhere, and not a board you can just stand on. Chase does well with it obviously, but it fits his aggressive style of riding. That's all I know.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-24-2014, 12:51 PM Reply   
L W, I was going to say if you are getting a good deal then yes it is likely a good choice. At full price it is similar to the cost of a custom board or a made in the USA board.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-25-2014, 8:46 AM Reply   
Ooooo, was that a China slam Nick. Lol.
"Chaos" !!
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-25-2014, 10:13 AM Reply   
Well, it is not a slam on China or anywhere. But simply put if a board that is made overseas in a factory costs virtually as much as a board made here in the USA, whether standard model version or custom then why would someone choose the overseas version. This is a multi-faceted question with lots of answers and assumptions. The simple fact is people buy boards based on reputation/brand. Larger companies have boards produced overseas due to demand and cost assumptions. Dealers demand a price point and margin, Reps look to carve out some share for themselves.
Old     (Boonejeepin)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-25-2014, 10:39 AM Reply   
I would suggest trying a Soulcraft unless the deal you are getting in the sixer is just too good to pass up.
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-25-2014, 6:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonejeepin View Post
I would suggest trying a Soulcraft unless the deal you are getting in the sixer is just too good to pass up.

Expect a long wait with a custom Soulcraft...

I've heard their great boards though.
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       03-25-2014, 7:03 PM Reply   
I would stay away, unless its 1/2 price or less...
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-25-2014, 9:39 PM Reply   
I have looked at the Soul Crafts, but man, $800 + for a surf board seems a little steep. What makes them so much better that a board like this?
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-26-2014, 5:10 AM Reply   
Sent you a PM Levi
Old     (RIDE_LAB)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-26-2014, 11:42 AM Reply   
tons of pumping needed. i had to slow my boat speed to almost 9mph. then it was easier to ride.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-26-2014, 6:55 PM Reply   
Lots of people will say this board is slow, but in truth, the board was not designed for the majority of riders.
It is definitely meant for riders trying to take their airs and turns to the next level. It's not a cruiser by any means. It is a high performance board meant to be ridden hard. It's not meant to be stood on and do a couple carves.

If you want to cruise, do some turns, and start to learn airs, look for a board with a flatter rocker like the Inland Surfer Sweet Spot, Soulcraft Jetty, Shred Stixx Ringer, or the Walker Project Bomb Pop. They are fast with no effort.
If you want to take your airs bigger and your carves deeper, look for a board with more rocker like the LF Sixer, Inland Surfer Keenan Pro Surf, Shred Stixx Semi Pro, Soulcraft JS Pro, or Mendonesia Chris Wolter Pro. They take some effort and skill to ride, but the pay off is huge.

Also, the 2013 Sixer was a poor design. The 2014 is awesome though.
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       03-26-2014, 7:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakemitch View Post
Also, the 2013 Sixer was a poor design. The 2014 is awesome though.
interesting....
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-26-2014, 8:20 PM Reply   
Hazen is with LF now huh? Howd I miss that haha
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-26-2014, 9:07 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the replys guys, I really appreciate it. To be honest I've been pretty bored of surfing with the boards I have. Having surfed for about 7 years now, I've spent enough time just cruising, that now after about a minute I get so bored I often just ride back on the platform and call it a day. I kind of feel like it's boring for the people in the boat to watch too. Last year we got a skim board and that was fun for learning 360s but other than that I'm not into falling the 200 times it would take me to learn a shove it. I figure the next step is boosting some airs, and thought this board (the 2014 version) might be a good choice.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-28-2014, 9:07 AM Reply   
just buy it.........
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-31-2014, 7:05 AM Reply   
L.W. Look at Doomswell. Custom boards for a great price.
Old     (loudelectronics)      Join Date: Sep 2013       05-12-2014, 1:16 PM Reply   
This board is so hard to use. It is incredibly slow and boring. Your legs will get burnt out in about 2 minutes.

For those looking, try the Chaos Ringer. It is the easiest board I have every used. Super fast, boosts really nice and just plain out fun.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-04-2014, 2:02 PM Reply   
So we got the new LF Chase "Sixer" board and took it out for some sets yesterday. Everyone loved the board, it is definitely my favorite board so far. I got the middle size and everyone from 150-235 could drop the rope no problem. Doing "airs" was so much easier than any of the other boards and I tried. I found you could ride the board very aggressive but if you just wanted to coast it worked great for that too.

Overall, I'm very happy with the board.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-04-2014, 2:07 PM Reply   
Let's see some of the airs!
Old     (CarbonSurf)      Join Date: Jun 2014       06-05-2014, 3:16 PM Reply   
I got a sixer this year and I am not a fan as of yet! I have not figured out a good fin combo.
The board rides very slow, and feels almost unstable with the 6 fins.
I'm back to riding my phase 5 carbon fiber Drew Danielo, thing is a rocket ship!
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-05-2014, 9:28 PM Reply   
I don't think you are suppossed to use all 6 fins at the same time. I set mine up with the 2 large ones and 2 small ones all the way back and so far I really like it. I definitley didn't find the board "slow" and I found it a lot more fun to ride than a skim board but I don't think I will be able to do surface 3s on it.
Old     (CarbonSurf)      Join Date: Jun 2014       06-12-2014, 2:34 PM Reply   
I have tried with different fin combos, but still feels slow, vs the drew. my lake is 8ft so we run at 9.8mph, I got the sixer to try and take my game to the next level and get some big air after mastering 360's.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-13-2014, 9:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonSurf View Post
I have tried with different fin combos, but still feels slow, vs the drew. my lake is 8ft so we run at 9.8mph, I got the sixer to try and take my game to the next level and get some big air after mastering 360's.
The chase sixer and your phase 5 Danielo are totally different styles. They get speed in different ways and are meant to be ridden very different as well.

You may be a skim style rider. I am definitely a skim rider. I have ridden surf style a lot and it never feels as comfortable or as fun to me.
Also, you don't need a surf style board to do 360s or airs. You can get just as big of airs on a skimboard: watch Drew Danielo and Keenan fleegel. And 360s are way easier on a skimboard.
Old     (bikeman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-16-2014, 11:10 AM Reply   
Also, the 2013 Sixer was a poor design. The 2014 is awesome though.[/QUOTE]

can you offer more detail on this please?

how do these boards compare to the shred stixx versions ?
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-17-2014, 8:19 AM Reply   
Chris, really depends on specifically what you are asking. There were a number of consumer complaints about LFs 2013 version of the chase sixer. Complaints ranged from it being heavy/bulky, slow, difficult to ride, etc., etc. I will start by saying that no two people usually feel the same way about a board; what works for some, doesn't always translate for others. You usually hear more about complaints than people that are satisfied. For 2014 a new version was produced, with an additional size added. The new version was more true to what chase was riding. Like any pro board it received mixed reviews, some loved it, some didn't. This is just an artifact of this style of technical board. If you look around you will see most boards are pretty generic. Even most 'custom' companies make very simple dumbed down boards, with very few if any complex curves and angles (easier to shape, glass, sand, paints, etc).

With regards to Shred Stixx if you are referring the to Chaos Carbon Sixer or the Pro line, these are completely different boards. The Chaos Carbon Sixer is built around speed and responsiveness, it is based on the Chaos Pro, which I developed back in 2009 as a look into the future for competitive wakesurfing and aerial maneuvers. The Chaos Pro was your basic stubbed/blunt nose wide tailed board. Notice how many pros are riding similar boards these days, and how every manufacture has a similar type board now 5 years later.

What I call the Team Pro or the semi pro are roughly versions of the Chase's pro board from back when he was riding for Shred Stixx. Over the years, I have updated the rocker, fin configuration and over volume placement in response to competitive surfing and the evolution of not only skate park/skimmy rotational tricks like shuvs and variations, but also for explosive aerial maneuvers.

In simple terms, the Chaos Carbon Sixer shares nothing in common with the LF sixer aside from 6 fin boxes/sets of plugs. Similarly the Team Pro shares nothing in common with the LF sixer aside from they both have tail channels (although different is size/shape and arguably function). Likewise for the Chaos Pro, shares little in common with the team pro or the LF sixer, but does have some similarities for the Chaos Carbon Sixer.

Hope that is as clear as mud.....
Nick
Old     (bikeman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-17-2014, 9:18 AM Reply   
thanks for the info. I ride a V2 Blue Lake today, no airs or spins, just carving and hope to progress to air/shuvs/spins one day. Neighbor's son has an airstream with some sort of flat bottomed fin, a chase shred stixx sixxer and another Shred Stixx board I cant' recall the name of. I loved the airstream and the chase sixxer, both seemed just more responsive and faster maneuvering than my V2 blue lake. I just bought a LF 2014 5.0 chase sixxer and it seems way slower than my blue lake, which is slower than the neighbors shred stixx sixxer. I don't have an opportunity to test stuff out, so what should I buy? I"m guessing I should try different fins on the LF Chase Sixxer before spending much more money? I have a 2014 LSV w/SurfGate mostly factory wave, i'm 5'9" 200lbs 49yrs old.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-17-2014, 10:45 AM Reply   
My friend has a LF 2014 Sixer and it's like riding a coffee table compared to my Shred Stixx Bamboo Chaos. Even my friend with LF Sixer said my 2009 Shred Stixx Thresher is his favorite board...why did he by the LF Sixer without a demo after riding and praising both my Shred Stixx boards baffles me.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-17-2014, 12:02 PM Reply   
Chris, if I was to tell you to buy one board I would suggest the 4'8" Chaos Carbon Sixer. It is extremely fast, and nimble. However, yes, you should probably spend a bit more time with the LF sixer and decide if you want to keep it or sell it.