Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-03-2012, 2:16 PM Reply   
I've got a 2003 Ford F350 with a six inch lift in front and a four inch lift in rear (blocks). I'd like to level it out by adding two more inches to the rear. What's the best way to do it? Just add bigger blocks?
Old     (Dmaxed)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-03-2012, 2:25 PM Reply   
Best way --> Deavers (leaf springs),
Cheapest --> Bigger Block,
Cheapest and worst --> Stacked Blocks
Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-03-2012, 2:27 PM Reply   
I'd think it would be more stable with upgraded leaf springs. 6 inches worth of blocks seems like it might be a little wobbly. Something like this, maybe:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SLF-01-218-6/
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       01-03-2012, 2:32 PM Reply   
I just put a full suspension lift on mine, seemed to be the best way without sacraficing towing and ride capabilities.
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-03-2012, 2:43 PM Reply   
I little change to this list:

Best way --> Deavers (leaf springs) hand down.
Good way --> Set of 6" lift springs from Procomp, super lift, or others.
Cheapest --> Bigger Block,
Cheapest and worst --> Stacked Blocks

I went with Procomp 6" springs and did away with the lifting blocks, costs was $400, vs. Deavers for $1700. I would have gone with Deaver if cost was not a factor.
Old    SamIngram            01-03-2012, 2:56 PM Reply   
If cost is a factor you can still get a very good leaf spring, and in some cases better than Deaver's, by going the custom spring route. Deaver has done so many applications that you don't have to measure, weigh your truck, or be detailed about the application. You can easily call National Spring or Alcan Spring and get a very, very nice set of springs, you just might have to do some work on your end... If you do your homework you can probably find other companies to build your springs...
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       01-03-2012, 6:12 PM Reply   
Consider an adding a leaf to the springs. That will add 1"-2" typically. Or just bring the rear springs to a spring shop and they'll either re-arch, add leafs, or some combination.

Another option is a shackle flip in the rear, depending on how the factory shackles are back there there. This might get you more than you need though. My truck is lifted 4" with a shackle flip in the rear, Keeps better ride quality than blocks and don't get axle wrap. Blocks are terrible for axle wrap and hop, they break ujoints and other parts if you put any power through it. My truck is an '86 and I've done many shackle flips on '80-'97 trucks which gets you 4". For 6" just add a leaf to the rear spring pack on top of a shackle flip. Note shackle flips will decrease the load capacity of the shackles as they will be in compression instead of tension. You can negate this (on '80-'97 shackles) by boxing in the shackle, which comes from the factors as a C channel.

Either way, shackle flip could be a free and good/safe/well handling option. DO NOT stack blocks though. I don't care if they're pinned to each other. Stacked blocks are a safety hazard, don't kill anyone over taking the easy way out. Also, NEVER use blocks on a steering axle, again no reason to kill anyone over a lift.
Old     (my_malibu)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-03-2012, 9:27 PM Reply   
if you are not going to add a new spring pack the next best thing is a Air bag system
I did this on my ford with a 6in lift
I used air ride
they adjust from 0in to 6in of lift plus improved handle while loaded
I ended up after a couple years installing the add a leaf and keep the air bags
best over- all
I never trusted the spacer blocks
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-03-2012, 11:16 PM Reply   
The ONLY way to lift a truck right in the rear is with aftermarket leaf springs. Anything over 3 or 4" blocks will create axlewrap, and the higher you go, the worse it is. My 06 2500HD has 5" BDS springs, and it rides a lot better with those. That makes for better daily driving. Firestone Ride-rite helpers make up for the sag when a trailer is connected. You can get those for around $250/set. Spring prices depend on whether or not shipping is involved.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-04-2012, 2:01 AM Reply   
some ounces of TNT can lift truck... but short time and not exactly sharp
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-04-2012, 5:29 AM Reply   
you can probably call sdtrucksprings.com and get a set of rear leafs for under 300 bucks. i have not bought leafs in years, but there are lots of truck parts companies that will get you a set cheap. you will need to let them know what lift you have etc etc and they will give you a recomendation for pack and rate. it is really easy hope this helps
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-06-2012, 7:13 AM Reply   
Can't go wrong with the Deavers, every truck I've owned over the past 20 years or so goes straight to Deaver for rear leafs. I'm lucky enough to live only 10 miles or so from their shop though...
Old    SamIngram            01-06-2012, 11:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyb View Post
The ONLY way to lift a truck right in the rear is with aftermarket leaf springs. Anything over 3 or 4" blocks will create axlewrap, and the higher you go, the worse it is. My 06 2500HD has 5" BDS springs, and it rides a lot better with those. That makes for better daily driving. Firestone Ride-rite helpers make up for the sag when a trailer is connected. You can get those for around $250/set. Spring prices depend on whether or not shipping is involved.
Sorry, but to say the ONLY way to lift a truck right in the rear is with aftermarket leaf springs, is just wrong! Depending on the truck, the application, aftermarket leaf springs might be a really dumb idea, or other ways could work out much better...

First, if you have a new Dodge 1/2 ton truck with coil springs going to an aftermarket leaf spring system would be pretty dumb. Also, if you like your current leaf spring set up and you have an older Chevy or GMC and just want more height a shackle flip can work wonders...

This setup provides 4" of lift and a stock ride...
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-06-2012, 12:06 PM Reply   
rio_sanger, I noticed in your profile you dirve an 8.1 Burb. Have you lifted it at all? What did you go with? Do you have any pictures? Maybe you could start a new thread so we don't hijack David's.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-06-2012, 1:39 PM Reply   
if you are wheeling it, there are many options, but to be safe and get a correct driveline, limit your axle wrap and make your life simple. replace the existing leafs with new leafs that give you the lift you are looking for.