Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-09-2015, 1:28 PM Reply   
Local officials (South San Joaquin Irrigation District,) tell the Feds to Pound Salt! over outrageous water flow mandates.

The Feds have asked South San Joaquin Irrigation District to let down 30,000 acre foot release valued at $750 per acre foot benefit of what accounts to be 9 Steal-head fish. That works out to be $2,000,000 a Fish!

Link to story
http://www.mantecabulletin.com/secti...rticle/122566/

And more on the 2 Million Dollar steal head
http://www.laketulloch.org/site/cpag...cpage_id=21120

And Finally a News Agency is picking up on this Story.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/...ty-reservoirs/

Official are asking us all to skimp & save every drop of water while they just waste it!!!!! I was cracking up Here in the Bay Aera the new's had a story on how to save water,Tips like having a 5 gallon bucket in your shower to save water as your shower warm's up and using that water to flush your toilet. And the old "If it's Yellow let it Mellow and if its BROWN flush it down" All while the Feds are totally fine with just wasting what accounts to 2 Years worth of water for just 1 Pulse flow over a day or so.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-10-2015, 3:20 PM Reply   
5 gal for a shower heat up not bad idea. I always feel guilty all that water wasting.
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-10-2015, 9:43 PM Reply   
More than 75% of California's water is used by farmers… after watching multiple fields being watered while it was rainy I'm not worried about watering my grass.
Old     (viking)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-10-2015, 10:31 PM Reply   
I don't have to read any more than the title to like this thread!
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-11-2015, 6:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
More than 75% of California's water is used by farmers… after watching multiple fields being watered while it was rainy I'm not worried about watering my grass.
Check your propaganda source..

The real number is somewhere around 40%, but it's difficult to gauge as 'farm usage' is combined with 'environmental usage' - the latter is poorly defined and has nothing to do with farm irrigation.
No, I'm not a farmer and have zero interest in farming.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-11-2015, 7:59 AM Reply   
Breaks77;
I to thought that old school farming was the cause of extreme water usage. Seen fields of flooded water did not seem to be the best use of water. But after seeing the numbers.
Example our county located in the Central Valley where farming is huge, uses 17,000 Acher feet of water for the entire year.
The Feds use or are Asking for 7 times that amount for 3 months for Fish Flows. 174,000.00 acher feet. Yup you heard it right. They push 7 times the water what the entire county uses for human and Farming, FOR FISH.

Now that's all fine and dandy when we have the water but when we don't! You would think brighter minds would be saying somthing like, Hey let's slow down on these water relices untill we have more water. NOPE Washington has no clue or dosent seem to care???? I know it seems rediclous & that it will not happed but trust me it is.

Thank god for some one with some balls at the state and county to say NO! To the feds. These types of people need to be promoted you don't seem to see these types of people in Goverment most of them are Tow the line types and protect their retirement types
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-11-2015, 9:38 AM Reply   
The problem is that if they don't release the water there will be salt intrusion and if that happens you won't be able to farm in the Delta. Bottom line is we should not be growing water thirsty crops like alfalfa, rice, cotton and almonds in the Central Valley which is basically a desert. And what makes things worse is that 80% of those crops are being exported to Asia to in essence we are exporting our water to Asia and corporate AG is making billions.

Last edited by peter19u; 04-11-2015 at 9:42 AM.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-11-2015, 1:09 PM Reply   
Peter: I think each lake has its own issues. I don't know much about the Deltas "issues"
And how water from Shasta, Folsom, Orville, is used and regulated so what your saying could be 100% the truth. But the issue on the Stanaslaus River" where Melonies flows into Tulloch and then into lake Goodwin and then down the Stanaslaus is what I'm Talking about. We are not flushing water to hold back the salt. They flush water to attract steal head and move salmon out to sea. So on the Stanaslaus its not a Farmers Vs non farmers issue. On this issue Farmers and People stand side by side. The enormous water relices for Fish Bennifit is what we ALL are objecting to
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-11-2015, 1:19 PM Reply   
gotcha. Hopefully we get rain soon so the lakes and Delta get back to normal
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-11-2015, 3:02 PM Reply   
Maybe I am wrong on my #… I do know residential cut back of water usage is not going to be anywhere close enough of getting us out of a drought.
There's much more water wasted else where, just as everyone has stated.
Old     (dcspain)      Join Date: Jun 2010       04-13-2015, 2:04 PM Reply   
2010 data released by Calwa
Attached Images