Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (canadasteve)      Join Date: Sep 2014       07-16-2015, 1:37 PM Reply   
Hey people!
We just sold our 2007 Mobius LSV and looking to upgrade to a Mastercraft. Not looking for other brands to be honest - so if we can keep on topic - my Q is the following.

1: What is best for Wakesurfing, and Wakeboarding?

A MC Dealer says the 2011 X25 is bad for surfing and that I should just increase my budget and buy new.

BUDGET IS 70K US $ OR ABOUT 80K CDN $
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-16-2015, 1:56 PM Reply   
If you can get into a 2012 or newer X-30, you will fulfill all of your needs perfectly. With that said the X-25 is an excellent boat and surfs great with ballast.
Old     (canadasteve)      Join Date: Sep 2014       07-16-2015, 2:00 PM Reply   
I kind of like the 2011 interior versus the super glass panel version too....
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-16-2015, 2:01 PM Reply   
salesperson: what an asshat! Love the lines on those boats
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       07-16-2015, 3:06 PM Reply   
I'd go X30
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-16-2015, 10:12 PM Reply   
Dealer is full of......
Just trying to sell a new boat. Doesn't get much better than a 25 for board/surf combo in the previous gen MCs.
End of summer though bet there's some new style X30s about your budget too. Or a lot of X45s in your budget range if you want that big a boat.
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       07-17-2015, 4:49 AM Reply   
You are only cheating your self by only looking at one brand. Test drive/ride a few other brands then you can make an intelligent decision which boat is best for you.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       07-17-2015, 5:34 AM Reply   
Welcome to wakeworld........ Where if you say "I am only interested in this brand, please stay on topic", and some just can't let it go. Especially if it's a MC.

Anywho, don't listen to the dealer. The X25 has an exceptional wakeboard wake, and a pretty good surf wake. The X30 has an exceptional surf wake, and a pretty good wakeboard wake. It takes a lot more weight to get an exceptional wakeboard wake from the X30, than it does in the 25. Both boats are excellent options. If you primarily surf, I would search for 2012 or newer X30. If it is a 2012, make sure it has zero-off, and the latest software for the touchscreen. The earlier software, and perfect pass, was problematic. All of that has been fixed, so long as it has zero-off. Perfect pass still sucks on that setup. If it has PP, ask for a upgrade to ZO before buying.
Old     (canadasteve)      Join Date: Sep 2014       07-19-2015, 3:32 PM Reply   
Ok so it will now be a 2013 or a 2012.

But something I want to figure out now is whether or not the x25 arm rests in the front and those rear facing seats in the back break a lot. It just seams they're ripe for collecting dirt or people stepping on them and breaking them.

The X30 is a little cleaner lines and that nice rear design hump - but I love the space in the x25 and front.

However the x30 seems to have a better surf wake. Hmmm
Old     (AxisofEvil)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-21-2015, 8:50 AM Reply   
Here you go, today and today only...

http://auction.repocast.com/details.cfm?ID=2239410

If you win I can pick it up and test drive it for you too
Old     (tjb1080)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-21-2015, 8:58 AM Reply   
I agree.
X30 is the way to go.
Im sure the salesmen was just excited about any boat with the Gen2 surf system.
That system really makes setting the boat up for surfing a piece of cake.
But once you throw some bags in an X30 you will not be disappointed.
Switching from port to starboard will take 15 min instead of 15 seconds. But that just the way it is with any pre 2013 boat. And that goes for all makes not just MC.
Old     (WakeWise)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-21-2015, 11:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisofEvil View Post
Here you go, today and today only...

http://auction.repocast.com/details.cfm?ID=2239410

If you win I can pick it up and test drive it for you too
Nice boat. However...no Gen2 setup.
Old     (Bangarang)      Join Date: Sep 2012       07-22-2015, 1:52 PM Reply   
I absolutely love my X25... perfect boat for wakeboarding but will also surf well, especially with surf tabs and plug/play ballast. In my case, I would rather have a boat with a phenomenal wakeboard wake and a average surf wake because surfing is only fun when you have nothing else to do or the water sucks!
Old     (Bangarang)      Join Date: Sep 2012       07-22-2015, 1:58 PM Reply   
It all comes down to whether you want to wakeboard or surf more. If all you want to do is surf, then you have to decide whether spending an additional $10 to $20K to get into a later model Mastercraft with Gen 2 is the right call, or if you are OK with listing the boat to get a great wake for surfing then you can keep the $20K in your pocket and probably take a smaller hit on depreciation when you are ready to sell!
Old     (Bangarang)      Join Date: Sep 2012       07-22-2015, 2:02 PM Reply   
The last thought I have and I will stop...I use to own Moombas and I had a Mobius just like yours, I eventually upgraded it to an X2, then a 2014 X10, then back down to a X25. The X25 will be a night and day difference from your Mobius. The X10 sucks at everything. The X2 is a great wakeboarding boat but the surf wake leaves a lot to be desired unless it is very heavily weighted.
Old     (Bangarang)      Join Date: Sep 2012       07-22-2015, 2:33 PM Reply   
I ended up in the x10 because I listen to the dealers sales pitch at the boat show....be careful man on who you are listening to because the dealers really only care about 1 thing....selling boats! Best way to answer this question is through test drives/demos/riding with buddies in their boats. But again...when you demo the sales game will be on so watch out!
Old     (portbigcity)      Join Date: Jun 2015       07-23-2015, 12:11 PM Reply   
Bangarang, curious about your X10, would you not recommend it? what is it that you do not like?
Old     (Bangarang)      Join Date: Sep 2012       07-23-2015, 1:18 PM Reply   
OK...the X10 has a decent surf wake (I should not have said it sucks at everything) but I did not like the wakeboard wake...seemed real finicky and weight sensitive (much like a Mobius). I also did not like having $80K tied up in a boat. So I went with an older X25 that I plan to keep long term.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       07-23-2015, 2:07 PM Reply   
Gots to have that blang blang
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       07-23-2015, 2:20 PM Reply   
Wrong thread
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-23-2015, 2:42 PM Reply   
Our X30 is the exact opposite of what you found with your X10 (and they have similar hulls). It's very stable and easy to keep clean.
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-23-2015, 3:09 PM Reply   
X25 or X30. X30 if you want a great surf boat that also has a great wakeboard wake that is very forgiving even for youngsters. X25 if you want a great wakeboard wake geared for intermediate and above riders. The X25 surfs well but not great. The X30 wakeboards really well, but advanced riders will probably prefer the the X25 wake. Beginners to intermediate riders will find the X30 wakeboard wake less abrupt and more fun. The X25 wake sucks for kids as it doesn't clean up as nicely at low speeds (< 17mph). For surfing the X30 is clearly the better boat. For advanced wakeboarders the X25 is better as it will throw a bigger wake for the same amount of ballast and most advanced riders like the crisper lip / faster kick. For beginners and youth wakeboarders, the X30 is clearly better. It cleans up slower and has a more progressive build to a jump. For the majority of us wakeboarders in the middle, the better wake is probably a matter of personal preference and style but they would like either one.

I bought a used X25 a couple years ago and love it. When I say the wake is more abrupt, I'm doing so more to highlight the differences. It does NOT feel like you suddenly hit a cement curb. The peak is more crisp and quick than an X30, however. While I love my wake, I will freely admit it sucks for kids. The boats are both so outstanding my guess is price and availability will end up shaping your decision. The X25 hull has been around a couple years longer than the current generation X30 hull, so it will be easier to find a 2011 X25 for less than 70K than a 2012 X30. If you found a 2012 X25 and 2012 X30 with similar options, hours, and features they would be very close in value.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-23-2015, 3:24 PM Reply   
It's not a 11-12 X25, but it's a really nice 2010 if your interested. here in the fraser valley. http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/boa/5137359215.html