Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (MoombaRiderJ)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-30-2011, 6:27 AM Reply   
I truly enjoy wakeboarding, but just struggle with some key fundamentals. I am self taught with absolutely not instruction, but progressing way too slow for my own good and in comparison to most. I have read and read and read about all the proper techniques (handle position, progressive edge, body position, line tension) and also got a training DVD. With all that reading, watching training videos online and the DVD are not truly equating to advancement behind the boat for me. I realize with my age I will not be trying to obtain a spot on the pro circuit, but I do want to advance my riding. Growing up around boats and skiing as a child, they didn't even have wakeboards, the only thing available back then was water skis, kneeboards, trick skis, and tubes. That being said here is my capabilities.

- can get up with no problem
- comfortable moving in and out of the wake
- of course comfortable jumping heelside (not always clearing the wake)
- getting better weekly with toeside jumps
- no problem switching...not completely comfortable riding switch
- can do a couple of the easier grabs

now here are my options and this is where I would like for anyone's honest opinion on the best bang for my buck

- 1 hour training session in a wakeboarding clinic ($100.00...for a 1 on 1 behind the boat)

- All day training session in a wakeboarding clinic ($300-600 depending on clinic) this include land training, trampoline training, behind the boat, this would of course be in a larger group

- Get yearly membership for $100.00 to Learnwake.com and send them inquiries/videos/pictures year round for assistance

I don't want to waste my money, of course with this economy and higher gas prices...but I am getting frustrated and want to elevate my riding...thanks in advance for anyone's advice
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-30-2011, 6:41 AM Reply   
I see your in N C. Adam fields has a wakeboard school at gaston and he is a excellent teacher.He just won BROSTOCK too.All day training should be good enough to get your body position right and learn some edging drills.
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-30-2011, 7:08 AM Reply   
I would recommend a week session if you can save up for it; but given the options, I would say definately go for the All day training as long as you're confident that it's a good coach. Remember, just because the person was/is a good rider doesn't mean they're a good coach. Some of the best coaches out there can't ride as well as you might think. But a week at something like a florida camp will change your approach on riding forever.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-30-2011, 7:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked_32 View Post
I would recommend a week session if you can save up for it; but given the options, I would say definately go for the All day training as long as you're confident that it's a good coach. Remember, just because the person was/is a good rider doesn't mean they're a good coach. Some of the best coaches out there can't ride as well as you might think. But a week at something like a florida camp will change your approach on riding forever.
X2 I WENT TO THE wakeboard camp in clermont.It was great,but i figured the OP was on a budget and looking for a easy trip.
Old     (Chuch)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-30-2011, 7:34 AM Reply   
This seems like a no brainer to me. Adam Fields is an outstanding coach, and obviously has the steez to go out and throw down when necessary. I'm a little bias as I call Lake Gaston my home lake so take it for what its worth. If its possible, I'd make the day trip to hang with him and his crew for the day. I wish I had the time and money right now as well. I've seen him ride and met him quite a few times but I've never had the chance to get coached. I do have a handful of friends who have, from beginner up, and say that it changed their riding big time!
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       01-12-2012, 2:49 PM Reply   
Any coaching will help you tremendously in my experience. Last season I was right about where you are, riding as much as possible but not near enough, always riding with my friends who are at my skill level and not progressing correctly or fast enough. I live in Orlando so I have a ton of options but I didn't want to go to a regular camp and get skooled by a bunch of preteens so I found a dude on Craiglist who gives 1 hour lessons for $50 to help with his boat payment. I really like the hour of coaching because it's long enough to actaully learn something and get it on lock but short enough that you can remember everything and you don't get completely exhausted and open yourself up for injury. I learned alot in just a few sets with this guy and it really brought my back my stoke to ride. Before that I was riding like 1-2 times a month and always dissapointed with myself afterwards, to riding 1-2 times a week and feeling great about it every time. This year I am going to try a longer more structured coaching session from the boarding school to see what else I may be missing... And Buy A Boat!

Looking for a V-drive in FL under 20K.