Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (malibu4life)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-12-2010, 7:43 PM Reply   
ok guys so i've been tryin to do tantrums, but my biggest problem is that i cannot seem to mentally go through with it..every time i cut in to do one i back off and don't even attempt to throw it. i understand the fundamentals really well i just seem to not be able to put all the pieces together when i'm actually trying it...any suggestions?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-12-2010, 8:15 PM Reply   
break it down just cut out about 5' then cut in change edges and pop you should feel the trip. then do the same but let go with back hand right before wake and square shoulders with wake.then take it out to desired start position and build required speed and change edges just don't pop. this will help with timing . then when your ready start with 60 foot rope so clearing the wake is easy and focus is on edge change shoulders square pop back flip land ride away . then throw your arms up and cheer you just did your first tantrum . my wife and i took a 16 year old out the other day and he rotated his first two tries all the way easily but was pulling his arm in to his chest so i told him do everything the same and focus on keeping your arm out straight he landed it perfect on his third try EVER.it's all mind set and confidence. GOOD LUCK!
Old     (malibu4life)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-13-2010, 10:49 AM Reply   
yeah i've heard that helps, but when i start doin that it almost makes me think about it even more and i choke....i can do it on a trampoline just fine so idk what the big deal is...maybe it's subconsciously i know i have a board strapped to me and that it's swinging around behind me?
Old     (waketowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-14-2010, 7:55 AM Reply   
(jacked)Im learning this trick now also. I don't really get the tripping thing though. i can fully rotate them, but when i rotate i do a 180?
Old     (austin_the_wakeboard_man)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-14-2010, 10:28 AM Reply   
i had the problem of doing the 180 when i was learning it you just got 2 make sure 2 square up good and look straight back and not over that was my biggest problem not looking straight back once i figured that out i landed it but you also have 2 square up good hope that helps
Old     (malibu4life)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-14-2010, 8:29 PM Reply   
yeah but when i square up i just feel like it's gonna be awkward and i'm not gonna even get the rotation goin?
Old     (austin_the_wakeboard_man)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-15-2010, 8:30 PM Reply   
i think that is just a mental thing you just have 2 do it i know it sucks but the first time you do it will go alot beter
Old     (malibu4life)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-20-2010, 11:52 AM Reply   
so getting the "trip" is not hard at all? you think i'm just thinking about it too much?
Old     (adambarry)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-20-2010, 9:19 PM Reply   
the trip is effortless if you do it correctly. If you square up and look back the trip will happen, its really easy to initiate the trip, hardest part is landing it.
Old     (jsw)      Join Date: Apr 2009       07-20-2010, 10:56 PM Reply   
i just started landing this trick. it is actually easier than a backroll i think. if proper approach and edging is done, this trick basically happens on its own. i just take a progressive edge, making sure i edge all the way through the wake. once you feel the pop, simultaneously take your rear hand off the handle, throwing it up and back, and look straight back. make sure to keep your lead hand straight and don't pull in because the tighter line will help with the rotation. think of how you might throw your hand up when doing a back flip into a pool (it would make a 90 degree angle). you can also initiate this trick with a "trip" flip type of edge, but the other way seems to work better for me. hope this makes sense and helps. good luck.
Old     (malibu4life)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-22-2010, 10:39 AM Reply   
ok cool i'm gonna just go for it next time i go out and see what happens..i think i just have it in my head that if i don't do it exactly right i'm gonna take a hard fall...even though i'm prepared to take a hard fall i still think about it haha
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-28-2010, 1:09 PM Reply   
try the quick drills on this page: http://www.wakeworld.com/news/featur...o-tantrum.html

They look really helpful and i am going to try them this weekend. I've tried a few tantrums but they are more like a rodeo, and most times I don't sack up and back off like you do...
Old     (blatantblunts)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-30-2011, 6:18 PM Reply   
just commit to it
Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-01-2011, 9:24 AM Reply   
Dude i had the same commitment issues back when I first got it in my head to try this. Now it is my most consistent and easiest trick. Every time I cut in for it I would think "no this does not feel quite right.... I will cut in again and do it then." What helped me mentally is I had to accept the fact that when you're learning a trick it never feels right on the way in. Accept that fact, don't bail out... and you will have it before you know it.

Also, a side note, the ease of the trip motion that everybody talks about does not come right away when your first landing it. In fact for about a year my tantrums looked and felt like crap. So just let practice take care of those issues.
Old     (Poison)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-07-2011, 10:37 PM Reply   
What boat speed did you guys use when learning the tantrum? Would it help to slow down a little?
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-08-2011, 7:43 AM Reply   
Here is a short vid that i bet helps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcgtM7Dxtxk
Old     (denverlove)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-24-2011, 1:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett33 View Post
Here is a short vid that i bet helps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcgtM7Dxtxk
This video is phenomenal. Definitely check this out... this video lays it out nicely and gave me the confidence to start trying tantrums last week (haven't landed one yet!!! Soon!!!).