Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (y49sides)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-13-2010, 1:28 PM Reply   
I have a few in-boat JL Audio 7.7 speaker screws loose and will not get tight. (Think they may have been over tighten from the factor).
In any case, what is the best product to help keep them snug in the fiberglass.
Silicon? If so what type?
Thanks in advance.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-13-2010, 1:41 PM Reply   
If you can reach the back of the speakers, replace the sheet metal screws with machine screws and nuts. Or go one size larger screw.
Old     (y49sides)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-13-2010, 2:06 PM Reply   
I had thought about SS machine screws and nuts as well. I was just wondering if anyone had any good tips on the sheet metal screw. Access is definitely not the easiest to get too.
Thanks
Old     (dfred)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-13-2010, 2:36 PM Reply   
Try breaking a wood match stick, or anything like that, into the hole if you can. It will take up the hole the screw stripped.

Its an old trick we used to use on skis when the bindings were directly screwed to the ski with a self tapping srew.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-13-2010, 3:16 PM Reply   
y49,

Tape up the backside of the holes. Fill the holes with DuraMix fiberglass two-part bonding agent. Press it in. Let it completely cure. Drill new pilot holes and tap in new S.S. screws. Do this by hand. No 18 volt drill to drive in the screws.

You can get DuraMix at any local automotive paint & body supply house.

You need backside access for speedclips or nuts. Its a problem when speedclips spin upon screw removal.

There are other certain solutions if the first solution doesn't take but they're just a bit more involved. Holler back if needed.

David
Earmark Marine

(Message edited by david_e_m on January 13, 2010)
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-13-2010, 5:26 PM Reply   
I say through bolt them if you can. Its a pain, but makes it a lot harder to steal your speakers too!

Filling the holes with bonding agent will work, but its very tough to fill holes in fiberglass when the glass is covered in an upholstered panel, like im sure it is in many of your locations.