Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (machloosy)      Join Date: Mar 2013       11-19-2013, 8:05 AM Reply   
I was thinking about how there has been a ton of petty arguments and threads going way off track lately, and saw a couple of really good helpful posts as well. Got me to thinking that there has to be some seriously cool or good stuff that people did to you or happened to you this summer.

I was pulling my lift out of the water about a month ago. Water was mid 50's and it was stuck in the mud. Had my lifted F150 hooked up to a monster tow strap, trying not to shred the grass. Just a generally annoying procedure. A neighbor I haven't met (only lived on the water about 8mon) walked over and asked if I was the guy running that "wakeboard boat" up and down the river this summer, and then proceeded to hand me a pair of 400lb fat sacs he had in the garage. For free. Come to find out, he used to ride a while back and sold his boat to remodel the house he bought 3 lots down from my apartment/flat. Ballast was one of my winter projects and now all I need is a pump and hose. Pretty freaking cool stuff. Needless to say, he'll have a spot on my boat next year. And a bottle of JD.
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       11-19-2013, 8:18 AM Reply   
I have a similar story. 2 summers ago, about a month after I bought my boat from a local guy off of Craigslist, I was riding on Lake Austin and the previous owner saw us and drove right up in his new boat. Told me I needed more bow weight and that he had to run home but would be back shortly. He then docked his boat, went to his house (not water front but near the lake) and grabbed a 450lb fat sac for me. Met me back on the water, gave me the sac and told me to keep it. I thought that was awesome of him and he turned out to be a super cool bro! I still can call and text him regularly when working/upgrading the boat and he loves it as well because it went to a good owner and still knows the boat front to back.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-19-2013, 8:45 AM Reply   
Very cool stories. I have some similar ones. I bought my 00 SAN from a guy in California in October 2011. Since then he has found a spare prop and sent it to me (package 1). He then found the original manuals, some Nautique brochures from 2000 and some dealer only videos and sent those to me (package 2). Most recently he found a Nautique jump seat and sent that to me last week (package 3). I love that camaraderie among people who really appreciate boats.

Throughout my adult boating life (beginning in 2001) I have found so many people happy to lend a helping hand, share some stoke, offer insight, share equipment and just generally be kind with no expectation of anything in return.

The boating community can be such a fantastic place.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       11-19-2013, 9:24 AM Reply   
^^^ Good idea for a thread. Keep 'em coming! I know I'll come up with one!
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-19-2013, 10:34 AM Reply   
Several years ago... Towing my boat to the River several times a season, I was getting small rock dings on the bow. I started researching tow vehicle skirts/flaps on-line. Just then a guy on WW in a nearby town posted that he was giving away some for free to a WW'r who would use them. I answered, made the hour drive and now had my mud flaps. He was glad to give them away to someone who would use them, but I eventually got $40 into his hand for "beer money". It was a cool exchange. For sure, a feeling of community.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       11-19-2013, 11:00 AM Reply   
Met 3 awesome new riders from the find a third section this year that are now my regulars.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-19-2013, 11:26 AM Reply   
I'm gonna break the rule because it was actually last year.

A neighbor of mine regularly has university students stay at his house for a few months at a time. last year he had a guy that was from south Africa who had never been on a boat so we took him out one morning with us. After the rest of us rode I was finally able to get him to go in the water. He thought the water was freezing so we put 2 wetsuits on him and a life jacket and got him in the water even though he said he wasn't a good swimmer. He didn't want to try wakeboarding so we just towed him laying down on a surfboard knee board style. He actually started to get his butt up in the air and start bringing his knees in when he finally fell. It was just a reminder of A) how lucky I am to grow up with having boats and the life style and B) out of all the people I have taught over the years this one really stands out to me. The smile from ear to ear and enjoyment he had from trying something new like this was priceless.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       11-19-2013, 12:26 PM Reply   
My buddy bought an inboard and taught me what wakesurfing was. We both progressed quite a bit being both of our first full seasons doing it. Got me hooked and saving up for an inboard myself now.
I think I spent about as much time on the water this summer as I did with my wife (she hasn't been the boating type for years), she hasn't been too happy about that lol
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       11-20-2013, 5:20 AM Reply   
I would save up for a new wife also.
Old     (machloosy)      Join Date: Mar 2013       11-20-2013, 5:57 AM Reply   
I'm also currently saving for a wife, but that's for a different thread
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       11-20-2013, 9:51 AM Reply   
Lol. I don't think it's a forever deal, she did go out once with us and grew up on the water. I think once she pops our last baby out and loses the baby weight things will change.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       11-20-2013, 10:25 AM Reply   
A word of advice... It's cheaper to keep her than trading up for a newer model year...
Old     (fgcuwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-20-2013, 12:46 PM Reply   
I am in the Air Force and got stationed in VA (moved from FL) and met a few awesome people that allowed me to be a third. Bumpass1 and jburbo (last season), got to go out a few times and got to hang with them and experience Lake Anna. Only got out once up here this season, but got to head out to Chicahominy River after work one day with Ryan Pinto and his buddy's B-52 for one of the glassiest sessions of my life. Basically a VIP sesh due to no one being out there. Great community of people on here!
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       11-21-2013, 12:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pad1Tai View Post
A word of advice... It's cheaper to keep her than trading up for a newer model year...
I already traded up, leased a 84 model for a few years and then upgraded to the new, slimmer, and sleeker 89 model with only 18 years on her and had to purchase her.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       11-22-2013, 12:36 AM Reply   
I almost got sidetracked by all the wife talk.
In addition to my friend and his new boat introducting me to wakesurfing, I found wakeworld. From wakeworld and my friend, I made a handful of new friends/riding buddies that love to wakeboard and especially wakesurf in the area.
The season is over for now, but I look forward to next season and getting out with them more. Great times and a great season overall. Best summer of my life since my teenage years growing up wakeboarding behind our I/O and camping every weekend on the lake.
I can only hope that with my new friends and love for a new sport that next season will be even better!