Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Fritzdog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       06-05-2015, 6:20 AM Reply   
I am looking at buying a 2007 24lsv for my first surf boat and was wondering if I am missing something material in my analysis.... It seems to be built like a tank and can hold an army of people. Mostly, I will be surfing just with my wife and a couple friends. Previously, I have owned several MC ski boats but can't take the hard high speed falls anymore so trying out surfing this summer. Thanks
Old     (Tims)      Join Date: Feb 2014       06-05-2015, 6:30 AM Reply   
247 make a great surf wave. Check out the Malibu Crew forum for details on set up.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-05-2015, 6:52 AM Reply   
Put in some huge Enzo type sacks in the rear and it'll make you a great surf boat with the room of a limo.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-05-2015, 8:33 AM Reply   
Surfed one for a couple years with custom enzo style sacks and a bunch of lead. The boat requires a ton of ballast .The wave was big and clean but lacked the push you would expect a wave and boat that size to produce. My friend sold the boat went to a 244 enzo then after surfing a 226 sold the enzo and bought the supreme. I love the 247 it is a super nice boat with high end finishes and a ton of room but the truth is there are better surf boats out there. Have you thought about a Tige 24v or maybe a 24 foot enzo if you are looking for space and a great wave ??
Attached Images

Old     (Fritzdog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       06-05-2015, 9:45 AM Reply   
Honestly, I don't really need the space but want something that handles waves/chop on a big lake and creates a good surf wave with as little tweaking as possible... I am there about two months a year so buying a new boat for 70-100k seems unrealistic. The only reason I was thinking of the Malibu, was there was a used 247 nearby and it seemed reasonably priced in the mid 40's....
Old     (volzalum)      Join Date: May 2009       06-05-2015, 8:13 PM Reply   
If you want to surf and handle chop then go with either a supreme or a centurion avalanche or Enzo.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-05-2015, 8:42 PM Reply   
247 is a big deep boat, it will handle chop well. They throw a great surf wave, it's a bit different then say a centurion, lots of power on the wall of the wave. Similar to my Tige 24v. Most people that surf my boat can't do it right away because it's so much different then their boat wave. Centurions have power a bit further back and have good push in the flats. That's my .02 on it. They are great boats. A few pro buddies all say the 247 is the best wave they have ever surfed. They can't post on stuff like this because they are sponsored.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-05-2015, 9:24 PM Reply   
I would look for the oldest boat with the new generations of surf tabs or other such devices that make switching sides as easy as possible. It will make the day so much more enjoyable as you won't have to worry about moving bags of lead or water back n forth. Or invest in a very fast plug n play type system.
Old     (Fritzdog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       06-06-2015, 9:35 PM Reply   
Thanks for the great info.... seems there are many ways to skin this cat. I will let you know how the buy goes!
Old    TimbrSS            06-07-2015, 7:31 AM Reply   
Love my 247. Added 2313 prop. 500# lead. Custom sack shown above.
Listed 247 wake surfing.: https://youtu.be/EKOa5t2Uwmw

Malibu 247 8.1 Surfing: https://youtu.be/JkoKRnJGLJo
Old     (onetogofast)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-08-2015, 9:58 AM Reply   
That bag is massive!
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-08-2015, 11:20 AM Reply   
yep all that plus lead and a wedge and all you get is a ok wave like in the video posted above
Old    TimbrSS            06-14-2015, 6:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20king View Post
yep all that plus lead and a wedge and all you get is a ok wave like in the video posted above
I think it's mostly camera angle that you would say it's just OK. That's from standing up at driver's seat, not low angle at swim step, and no other people on the boat. Here's another 247 from a different angle. https://youtu.be/qHr-5v4DHNI
Old     (lashburn1)      Join Date: Oct 2014       06-14-2015, 11:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimbrSS View Post
I think it's mostly camera angle that you would say it's just OK. That's from standing up at driver's seat, not low angle at swim step, and no other people on the boat. Here's another 247 from a different angle. https://youtu.be/qHr-5v4DHNI
Looks nice...Have you tried a Wake/Surf-gate??
Old     (StanleyWheelhouse)      Join Date: May 2010       06-14-2015, 1:47 PM Reply   
247 Makes the best wave I have surfed. Though to date I have not ridden the Centurion FS44 and would like to. Due to the technology Centurion is putting in their boats one would have to look before making a purchase.

Surf Gate Sucks! Put a customized ballast system in the boat that allows it to drain and fill at the flip of a button. Take a 10-15 minute break, let the pumps do their thing and switch sides.

If you buy the 07 make sure you move the fuel vent around to the driver side near the tie down clete. I blew two motors as a result of fuel getting in the water from that vent. We moved the vent on my 2010 247 before it ever hit the water. It has been a trouble free boat for five years now and carries around 3500 pounds plus of water.

You will also need the larger prop

Wheelhouse
Old    TimbrSS            06-14-2015, 3:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyWheelhouse View Post
2 Put a customized ballast system in the boat that allows it to drain and fill at the flip of a button. Take a 10-15 minute break, let the pumps do their thing and switch sides.
Or a 5 minute break. :
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-15-2015, 12:42 AM Reply   
pictures like that is why i come here
Old     (TimbrSS)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-23-2015, 2:18 PM Reply   
Couple more vids from my 247:

Old     (Fritzdog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       06-24-2015, 8:53 PM Reply   
Just closed on it today and getting it tuned for the summer at Priest Lake Idaho. Can't wait to try it out. I am reading up on the suggested surf boards now and will load some vids once we figure out what we are doing!
Seriously... Thanks
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-25-2015, 10:17 AM Reply   
My buddy just bought a 2014 247 for up here in Sandpoint! I can't wait to try it.
Old     (TimbrSS)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-25-2015, 6:00 PM Reply   
Congrats on the new boats!!! I have a Byerly hazard. I rented a few different boards, but went with this one because of the multiple fin options. It has 5 slots, and come with 2 long and 2 short fins. You can experiment to find what you like best for your wave, and what you like might change as you get better.