Wake 101
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       11-10-2009, 5:45 PM Reply   
Hi guys,
I got my boat all sorted out and the deal is set, but we are having issues actually paying for it. The seller is to worried about being scammed to give me his bank details so that I can transfer the money into his account. This comes from phone calls, 2 months worth of emails, I paid for a mechanical inspection, gave him a copy of my license all my details and contact numbers. I also gave him the details of my importer who has called him. He is still not prepared to give me his bank details so that I can go to my bank and wire the money to him. I really dont want to use escrew or western union as they skim money off an already overbudgted cost by me. What else can I do to get this deal done, he went and talked to bank of america in his town and they said they advise against it cos it sounds like a scam. I am Australia, I am importing the boat here. This is all setup and ready to go, how the hell do I steal money from someones account with there bank details???? this is getting on my nerves and has been about 2 weeks in discussion, Im ready to just tell them either finish the deal or i go elsewhere. Anyone offer any advice at all please, anyone would think its him transferring the money to a stranger......i am the one parting with it.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-10-2009, 5:58 PM Reply   
Do it by major bank cashier's check instead. Get a cashier's check from your bank and FedEx it to him. Have him take it to his bank & deposit it. His bank will either make the funds available immediately or require a short hold (3 days +/-) afterwhich he can release title & the boat to you.

Even better, go to a Bank of America in Australia, bring your cash and buy a Bank of America cashier's check.

Without an escrow, however, in either case you'll have to trust that he'll release the boat to you. Or, to be sure, you could have your importer bring him a Bank of America cashier's check at the time he picks up the boat.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       11-10-2009, 6:11 PM Reply   
From where I am I cannot get to a bank of america in Australia, im along way away from any large cities. I was going to try the cashiers cheque way made out to his bank....but wasnt really sure on sending it through post was a good idea?
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-10-2009, 6:32 PM Reply   
Fed Ex
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-10-2009, 7:22 PM Reply   
ask him to pick a third party that is agreeable to him and of course to you too. example: if it's a malibu boat, maybe use a malibu dealer. The dealer or third party collects the money from you and the title from him. Or use his bank, call them and explain the sellers concerns and let them play middle man, similar to a sight draft with a used car. The bank holds the title and you send them the check or xfer the funds. The seller does not have to release his acct info., just the name of his bank and a contact.

Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       11-10-2009, 7:51 PM Reply   
thanks for that, that might be the go i think. Will just have to get up early tomorrow morning and do it.
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-10-2009, 10:50 PM Reply   
Have his bank manager call yours while he is there to secure and verify all monies will be transfered. I really dont see why he is so worried.. There is nothing you can do with his account number and routing number, it is on every check! Good Luck.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       11-10-2009, 11:33 PM Reply   
yeh thats my point exactly, I think I will try pay him a deposit in paypal first then if thats ok then do it via bank. My thoughts were to align the banks aswell to contact each other. Just making it harder then it needs to be but i will keep going, come this far with it. cheers for the advice guys.
Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-11-2009, 1:51 AM Reply   
Im a banker and thats pretty absurd information they are giving him. Dont even dream of western union of even bank draft. A bank draft can be stopped well after its been banked and cleared. I was lucky enough to get the shipper to arrange payment for me, but get his bank managers details, ring him and arrange to transfer it into one of the banks suspense accounts. When it comes through they can pass it onto him.

Alternatively, tell him to start a new bank account with no money it in maybe at a different bank and send it to that account.HE will then take it out and close it
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       11-11-2009, 4:48 AM Reply   
yeh thats what he was saying he was going to initially do, but his bank manager advised against doing the deal. Ive sent him a few emails with different options, see what happens i guess. Christmas might come late this year
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-11-2009, 5:22 AM Reply   
Is it a one of a kind boat? If he is not willing to work this out tell him to ask his banker if he will buy his boat. The steps listed by Byron are no risk to him. In this market there are a lot of sellers and few buyers. Even though this deal is more suspicious than normal there is no reason it can't be safely done. Do your next deal with a dealer that knows what they are doing.
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-11-2009, 6:00 AM Reply   
If you offer a very acceptable method of transaction and he still balks then that would tell me he got a better offer and he's is trying to crawfish on your deal. If he's still difficult, lemme know, I'll send you a boat. We ship down under all the time.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-11-2009, 12:15 PM Reply   
Have him open an account that only has the minimum dollars he needs to open it. Then he can give you that account info, and if you scam him you'll only get 10 to 15 bucks.
If he won't do that, screw him, find another boat.
Old     (geogilbert)      Join Date: May 2007       11-11-2009, 12:26 PM Reply   
I am in Columbus OH and will be in Sydney in 2 weeks. I am willing to give you a hand if you need. Not sure how i could help but if you need a hand Let me know. I am landing in Sydney on the 23rd and will be there for 2 weeks before I come home.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       11-11-2009, 2:03 PM Reply   
hey thanks guys, all great help. Its veterans day there today so no banks are open i suspect. Was going to give his branch a call and try send it to them first and let them give it to him. Billy that was what was originally happening but when he went to bank of america the branch manager said it sounded like a scam so not to do it at all. I also thought he was trying to crawfish out of it to but after talking with him he just sounds worried and he is working with me to get the deal done....just a bit closed with his details which makes it very difficult when ure importing a boat as you need tonnes of it. Will keep posted,
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       11-12-2009, 3:24 PM Reply   
ah ok, so just about to transfer the deposit via paypal today....get an email basically saying, because I am overseas seller and its such a hassle to deal with me that I should pay for the asking price. Already negotiated the final price before i got mech check now this. I dont think there has been any hassle, just lack of details given to me so i havent been able to drop the money in. Yeh sure its a bit different to your normal sale in states, but there is no pink slip transfer alls that happens is drop it off at port when u get the money, or the importer picks it up. Anyways whos got a boat to sell me if this falls through, ive got a booking on a ship on 1st december and have paid deposit. Not impressed at all if this goes sour, u do not change your price, fair enough if someone else came along before I had asked if the boat was mine other then payment but yeh this was all set in stone and now this. Basically just told them not paying asking price which is 14.5k for a 97 sport nautique....NADA guide is 10-12.5k...and im paying more then that anyway. I think its best I just walk away if they dont come through.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-12-2009, 3:40 PM Reply   
It sounds like he doesn't really want to sell his boat. There is a 98 Pro-Air in the Bay area for 12.5 right now. Tell this guy to F off and buy the pro-air. You now know what you will need so it should go more smoothly.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-12-2009, 3:44 PM Reply   
Here is the ad. It has quite a few hours and the interior needs to be redone. It is cheap though. If mechanical inspection comes back looking good it probably is a good deal.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       11-12-2009, 3:44 PM Reply   
can you crack me the link brett? I think i know the one but it needs a heap of upolstery work done.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       11-12-2009, 3:51 PM Reply   
yeh thats the one i was looking at before this one, spoke to the guy but the interior is bad. Wasnt real keen on it if the interior is like that then how did the boat get treated? If this thing winds up not going then i will call him back, absolute crap if it doesnt go through already paid for mech inspection dont wanna pay for another.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-12-2009, 3:53 PM Reply   
Good looking 205.

Nice looking older 205

Reno isn't too far. This boat says it has tower and stuff like that. Get some pics.

Here is the same boat. Same hull as OG xstar. I would check this thing out for sure.

Cheap and in LA
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       11-12-2009, 4:01 PM Reply   
cheers brett, i will keep an eye out on those, i thought the maristar was not any good? I hope this deal still goes through, ive done all the import paperwork for this boat so i will have to ring up and change all the details.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-12-2009, 4:04 PM Reply   
That is a maristar 205vrs which is the 205v hull which is the original xstar hull, the first gen X2 and the first gen X1. One of the best wake hulls of all time, vdrive and a lot more storage than any direct drive.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       11-12-2009, 4:22 PM Reply   
and theres also an 2000 xstar v drive in classifieds here to. Dam where were these 3 weeks ago. Ah well, i think if the 97 naut goes through it should throw somethen pretty good for me.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-12-2009, 4:23 PM Reply   
The 97 Nauty will for sure. The 2000 Xstar is in Australia or in the US?
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       11-12-2009, 4:38 PM Reply   
US, its on this sites classfieds. doesnt look to bad other then the black stuff on hull
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-12-2009, 4:42 PM Reply   
Yeah, I saw that one. It has messed up bottom paint. I am guessing that it is a salt water boat since it is from NY and has bottom paint.
Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-14-2009, 11:05 PM Reply   
what ended up happening with this jeff. i got pissed around by a guy trying to buy a sanger v210. had it booked it to the boat shop to get a mechanical check, and then he told me on the day he had changed his mind, and if i wanted to buy it to come and look at it.

would be interesting to know you get on. seems that guys in the US seem to have a different way of dealing with things than us down under folk. no trust at all. i would have thought it fine, after you send him a deposit and then paid for a mechanic inspection. to me that would suggest you werent mucking around.

Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       11-15-2009, 2:20 PM Reply   
hey, yeah deposit paid, so just gotta finalise the last payment, so i think its all good. I understand where the trust issue arises, much bigger country, many more buyers, alot more scams. If this still goes all well and I end up doing it again one day, first thing im going to do is ring them, tell them my intentions, if the boat ticks my boxes i will put a deposit using escrow or somethen like that so the seller sees my money is there but cannot take it pending the mechanical inspection. After the inspection i would then proceed to pay. I really hope it goes smoothly, the ship is booked for 1st December so been told it will be here before Xmas...might be a bit of a sprint to get to the port and back in time though (23hr drive from my town)
Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-18-2009, 2:07 AM Reply   
Good luck with it. I pick my boat up Friday NZT so will be looking forward to seeing how it looks etc. Bit of an interesting experience buying something sight unseen.


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 8:35 PM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home


© 2019 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us