Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 05, 2008

Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-15-2008, 7:50 AM Reply   
So I just got news that my some to be wife and I are going to a family friends villa in Jamaica for our Honeymoon in July. The area we are staying is around Runaway Bay, Jamaica. So being the kind of person who tries to wakeboard every where I go, I am trying to wakeboard in Jamaica.

Anybody got any good tips for places to ride, there has to be some place down there to ride. Even is the set up is a fishing boat, I wanna be able to say I rode in Jamaica!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-15-2008, 7:51 AM Reply   
Sorry for the typo in the thread name! Oops!
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-15-2008, 8:12 AM Reply   
we're headed to ocho rios area in june....looks like runaway bay is north coast, halfway between mo bay and ocho. you might be able to arrange (a very expensive) outing at one of the mega-resorts, but since you're not staying at one, i'd probably avoid that altogether. i can't image there is any sort of local scene there....most people outside the resorts/hospitality industry are very poor. if i can remember, i'll check it out and let you know if i find any riding opportunities.

have fun either way.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-15-2008, 8:29 AM Reply   
call up obrien... have them send you a boat or something.

The only thing I could think is bring your board and whatnot, talk to the guys who pull tubers/parasail stuff and see if you can get a pull... worst comes to worst they'll have jetskis and you could just ride on the surf

Congrats!
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-15-2008, 8:54 AM Reply   
Wife and I went on our honeymoon years ago. In runaway bay. The resort had a couple boards. So we rode. But the guys driving did not realize what slow down meant. And it was a center console boat. So if you want to mess around, you can get a pull. But we said to heck with it. And just sat on the beach, mon. But it is an amazing place. Make sure to climb the dunns river falls.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-15-2008, 9:08 AM Reply   
Andy - I rode behind a prostar 190 or something at the Sandals outside of montego bay. was actually not worth it. bindings were old and waaaay too big. rope was like 100 feet long, and they cruised in a giant circle. I only did it to say I rode in Jamaica, but in the end, it was really not worth my time.
I would just chill on the beach and enjoy the scenery.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-15-2008, 12:38 PM Reply   
Thanks for the imput. I am in the habit of bringing my wakeboard set up everywhere I travel, you never know when your going to find a pull.

Tim thanks for the tips on Dunns River Falls that is def on the list of things to do.
Old    Ben Kerran            05-15-2008, 12:46 PM Reply   
Andy- second Dunns River falls hike (awesome). The sandals Dunns River resort has a boat for guests, I am sure you could pay for a pull. Def bring your own equipment, everything they had was junk! Congrats
Old     (smwake)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-15-2008, 2:19 PM Reply   
Dunns River is cool...but the hot spot is Ricks Cafe..Its near Montego Bay, but that joint is crazy...Crazy high cliff jumping, awesome bands, and a total chill spot to hang and watch the sunset...
Old     (movinfr8)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-15-2008, 2:43 PM Reply   
Make freinds with a cab driver and get his cell phone to arrange trips. it helps to have a guy you can trust when you venture out.

I have a guys name on the Ocho Rios side if you want it..... He shuttled the family around when we were out that way and had a nice clean van with AC.....
Old     (nevada_champ)      Join Date: Nov 2007       05-15-2008, 2:45 PM Reply   
its rely nice like rite b4 hurricane season. trust me. the water is like butter
Old     (j_money)      Join Date: May 2006       05-16-2008, 10:06 AM Reply   
My sis just got back from Jamaica... She was in the New grille area or something like that... I have no idea what part of Jamaica that is but she brought me back a picture of an older X-star that was out on... Im guessing the ocean, but anyways now you know that there is at least one wakeboard boat / wakeboarder down there...
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-16-2008, 1:49 PM Reply   
"new grille" good one! it's Negril....not that it matters, just thought that was funny.

seriously though.....good lookin' out, but Negril is far west tip of the island and quite a hike from Runaway Bay....probably not an option for Andy.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-16-2008, 2:22 PM Reply   
I cannot thank everyone enough for all the feed back, wakeboard related and general trip related.

THIS SITE always COMES THROUGH!

NEW GRILL! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-16-2008, 4:22 PM Reply   
If you get to Negril, you HAVE to check out Ricks Cafe at sunset. It's been 15 years since I've been to Jamaica, but I remember Ricks like it was today. We caught 5 sunsets there in our week long trip. I'm not sure I saw the Sun set, but the rest of the scenery was world class!
Old     (movinfr8)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-19-2008, 3:14 PM Reply   
Another place to stop for food in "new grill" is Three Dives, you can get lobster, jerk chicken and red stripe for 6 for about $4000.

Thats jamaican money,,,,,,really its about $20 a couple including beer.....

here is lobster....
Upload