Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (LukeR103)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-09-2020, 5:48 AM Reply   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SofzGGG9hpY

So the play by play would be
12 , Double, Double, Huge 3, Double, Double......

Also, Nic is in the lead right now with a sick run.
His play by play
10, huge 3, Crow 7, Double, Double, Mobe

Sick runs from all the guys, I never would've guessed this level... INSANE
Old     (fizzz)      Join Date: Nov 2010       07-15-2020, 1:26 AM Reply   
the tricks these guys are consistently throwing is insane, nic and cory are ridiculous but the others are crazy good as well, its unbelievable thats the level of riding that is normal these days
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-15-2020, 9:56 AM Reply   
nice to see it not all about how many times you spin
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       07-16-2020, 5:56 AM Reply   
The PWT is circling the drain. The format needs to be changed to show versatility, style, control, etc. The double flip game and the tech craziness is unreal, great for best trick formats and I understand the need for progression, but the sport is eating itself in regards to boat contests. Its very stale and is starting to remind me of the early 2000's and the "spin to win" phase when guys were pushing 7's to 9's. I remember when Darin and Parks pushing double flips and being chastised for it, now here we are.

I'm not saying i have an answer, but Dean Smiths post the other day sparked some much needed debate and hopefully something changes soon. The boat side of things is a fraction of what it was market wise and participation in shrinking whether you blame boat prices, kids not getting out side any more, etc....something needs to change...but i digress.
Old     (LukeR103)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-17-2020, 2:11 AM Reply   
Chris O'Shea - Pressure Cooker contest was a fun one to watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aomY9o7LuIM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me8CmOAsbzc

And all of the RealWake's are where it's at. $200k boats.... not so much
Hey but those wakesurfing videos were exciting - I would guess
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-17-2020, 3:27 AM Reply   
We are on an upward progression right now. It is all about another flip, an extra 180, etc. All upward progressions are followed by a progression out. Only a few years 900s just looked like hucky garbage. Now there are guys with two latched grabs on them. I agree that these phases look a little junky.

To improve the format, they really need longer runs// Two passes. 5-6 tricks doesn't really leave room for a super weird variation of an otherwise basic trick. The core wake-spectator wants to see some depth.

To improve the events, they need to have more than just wake boarding. In the 90s, the pro-tour was a festival. It had live bands, funsy mini-ramp comps, stuff for kids, hell bring back the fun. The fracturing of the schedule and every boat manufacturer feeling like they should be the only one at the event (even on land) has just made all of the events have a grassroots feel. There Needs to super events where all boats are invited and you draw for the towboat position at the beginning of the season for each stop. Every manufacturer needs to have a booth. They need to have $100 mini-booth space for all of tiny companies--like a market place for knick-knacks: Flag holders, bolt-on BBQ grills, bolt-n wave gates, etc.
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       07-20-2020, 9:53 AM Reply   
This +++
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-21-2020, 6:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
We are on an upward progression right now. It is all about another flip, an extra 180, etc. All upward progressions are followed by a progression out. Only a few years 900s just looked like hucky garbage. Now there are guys with two latched grabs on them. I agree that these phases look a little junky.

To improve the format, they really need longer runs// Two passes. 5-6 tricks doesn't really leave room for a super weird variation of an otherwise basic trick. The core wake-spectator wants to see some depth.

To improve the events, they need to have more than just wake boarding. In the 90s, the pro-tour was a festival. It had live bands, funsy mini-ramp comps, stuff for kids, hell bring back the fun. The fracturing of the schedule and every boat manufacturer feeling like they should be the only one at the event (even on land) has just made all of the events have a grassroots feel. There Needs to super events where all boats are invited and you draw for the towboat position at the beginning of the season for each stop. Every manufacturer needs to have a booth. They need to have $100 mini-booth space for all of tiny companies--like a market place for knick-knacks: Flag holders, bolt-on BBQ grills, bolt-n wave gates, etc.
all the yes
Old     (LukeR103)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-21-2020, 7:49 AM Reply   
Yep agreed for sure. Skiboarder always with the realness
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       07-22-2020, 4:13 AM Reply   
It has been like this for absolutely ever. The next 180 etc. Increased rotations, double flips are factors of the big new boats. Progression seems to be wholly dependent on what a 17yr old's knees can sustain without being destroyed, and it must be behind the best kind of boat the industry can produce at the time or people aren't interested. It's no different than it was in 2002 or earlier. Parks did a 1080 in 1999 and it has been rumored by other riders since then. 1260's have been done before and Danny Harf is supposedly the first to do it. I don't know what more the boat manufacturers can do to make the sport more compelling. They delivered what people have been asking for, for more than 15 years: huge, huge, huge boats. I used to say 30ft was the sweet spot. What's next is up to the ingenuity of the riders. For awhile I thought rewind tricks were the key because they're so technically impressive. But right now we're in an in-between state where it hurts the brain to talk about it. Hugely impressive run from Cory, without a doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post

Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       08-03-2020, 5:21 AM Reply   
Got a link to that post of Dean's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperlite View Post
I'm not saying i have an answer, but Dean Smiths post the other day sparked some much needed debate and hopefully something changes soon. The boat side of things is a fraction of what it was market wise and participation in shrinking whether you blame boat prices, kids not getting out side any more, etc....something needs to change...but i digress.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-03-2020, 7:05 AM Reply   
Agree with skiboarder. Needs to be a festival, fun for everyone who attends, Live music, miniramp, cool booths etc, sounds like something my wife would enjoy too. I think the icing on the cake would be if the event had a cable spinning right there along with it for people to ride. Give me a reason to attend, if spending a day traveling to go to a wakeboard event, i want to ride at some point. Otherwise, if I'm budgeting out a weekend related to "wakeboarding", i'm just meeting up with friends somewhere to get into some heavy riding. This limits the venues but one place i can think of is TSR. cable lake and boat lake right there. also has a stage. Now that's a PWT event i might go to. Hell i may even tow my boat down and try and sneak a boat set one morning on one of the lakes nearby.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       09-22-2020, 5:34 AM Reply   
The question is how do you get people excited about riding again when they get instant gratification from doing a 360 on a surfboard and think they are king of the world? Plus people love surfing for their kids because it is low impact but wayyyyy less exciting to watch. I love wakeboarding but some of the PWT events were pretty boring to watch. I can only imagine how dull a surfing tourney is to watch but they are making money because more people are into it. I personally don't care how sloppy it looks as long as this awesome progression continues. Maybe it will highlight how lacking in excitement the surfing is to watch.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       10-06-2020, 12:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripsw View Post
Got a link to that post of Dean's?
At work sorry but basically he asked the question along the lines of - should obstacles be re-introduced into boat comps. Lots of interesting discussion both ways.