Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-14-2012, 1:09 PM Reply   
So im looking into completely gutting and redoing a bathroom and have a few questions.

Id much prefer to put a shower in. I have heard this will hurt resale value? There is a tub in the downstairs bath tho. The bathroom is very small to start, and the tub takes up so much room.

Has anyone ever used a tile ready shower floor? Im not sold on the tiled shower floor, what else has everyone used?
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-14-2012, 1:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfan23 View Post
Id much prefer to put a shower in. I have heard this will hurt resale value?
I'm curious about this as well. Do you need a tub for it to be a full bath? I really do not see the purpose for tubs in most homes and wonder if it is actually an issue for resale.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-14-2012, 2:07 PM Reply   
I designed my house with only a shower in the master bedroom bath. My wife continually complains about having no bath. Going to have to remodel someday soon. It has a tiled floor. No issues with it at all.
Old    sperbet            08-14-2012, 3:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalrider View Post
I'm curious about this as well. Do you need a tub for it to be a full bath?
No, any bath with a shower, tub or shower/tub combo is considered a full bath. There are places where they call them 3/4 baths, but for the most part that nonsense has disappeared. If you can shower or bath in the bathroom it's a full bath.

As far as resale it really depends on your market. I'd say it's a bad idea to pull a tub if it's the only one in the house.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       08-14-2012, 8:43 PM Reply   
We have a master bath with a stand alone showed and a garden tub. The tub was a big selling point for my fiancé, but in 3.5 years I bet it hasn't been used more than 10 times. With that said, I will almost guarantee you that 9 in 10 females will say no if there is no tub.
Old     (sports_gurl)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-14-2012, 10:02 PM Reply   
and for kids. Most children won't shower until their teens. If your bathroom is on the same floor as the childrens bedrooms then it may hurt resale. Hauling kids upstairs and downstairs for bedtime bath time can be tedious for parents.
Old     (Tucker_McElroy)      Join Date: Mar 2012       08-14-2012, 10:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperbet View Post
No, any bath with a shower, tub or shower/tub combo is considered a full bath. There are places where they call them 3/4 baths, but for the most part that nonsense has disappeared. If you can shower or bath in the bathroom it's a full bath.

As far as resale it really depends on your market. I'd say it's a bad idea to pull a tub if it's the only one in the house.
As licensed appraiser, licensed broker, and having a masters in real estate development, plus all the years experience, I would slightly disagree. In my opinion you are mostly correct; however, as others have stated, the typical user of the house is important. For example, if the typical user of that house is a retired person a bath might be more desirable if they can't stand in the shower, like my parents. If the user is a typical working class family the shower might be fine. If the user is upper middle class, many will require the garden tub. I think it all depends on what is standard for the neighborhood, or what is expected. Either way, any reduction or addition in value is minimal, at least in my opinion. The difference is really qualitative and not quantitative anyhow.

I have seen appraisers always give a swimming pool a $7,500 credit or value, while in reality, a swimming pool in a retirement or snowbird community is often worthless. I actually did my SRA demonstration report on this, all 412 pages of the stupid thing.
Old     (Tucker_McElroy)      Join Date: Mar 2012       08-14-2012, 10:48 PM Reply   
BTW, probably a dumb idea, but this is what my sister installed at her house.

She didn't have room for a big soaking tub and went with this. She uses it as a shower 95% of the time, but can still fill it up and soak in it if she wants. You can get them with an enclosure if you want. The door is magnetic and uses the weight of the water to help seal it. It won't leak no matter what you do.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-15-2012, 3:15 AM Reply   
Just finished our guest bathroom. Kiwi taste probably more euro minimal than most US stuff i have seen but we had a small space but wanted a bath and made it work.
Attached Images

Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-15-2012, 9:20 AM Reply   
Had the same dilemma a few years back.

Kept the tub. People with kids and families where the wife wants to either 1. soak or 2. shave in a bathub swayed me.

Unless you have a bathroom very near with a tub - I'd keep it. If this is a master and there is a guest literally across the hall - that's the only time I'd consider now tub.

Or if you had something that was OBVIOUSLY a "bachelor pad" type place.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-15-2012, 9:21 AM Reply   
Looks awesome Darren.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-15-2012, 9:51 AM Reply   
The above renovations look great.

The house is owned by the misses and she is the main one pushing for a shower...

Any who, there is a jet tub in the other bathroom, however that is downstairs.
Old     (rkinsell)      Join Date: May 2005       08-15-2012, 7:05 PM Reply   
Here is a few pics of mine in progress
Attached Images

Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-16-2012, 6:16 AM Reply   
for faucets if you like a contemporary feel w/o being too modern...check these out. and not over the top expensive.

http://www.moen.com/eva/brushed-nick...SUMER%3A6410BN

http://www.pfisterfaucets.com/Bath/P...GT49-NK00.aspx

I have the price fister in mine.
Attached Images

Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-16-2012, 6:24 AM Reply   
a few more...my space is fairly small as well.
Attached Images

Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-16-2012, 10:13 AM Reply   
Adam did you use a tile ready base for the shower? Or from scratch?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-17-2012, 7:33 AM Reply   
It was not a tile ready base. My builder has alot of faith in his tile guy. the shower was on the second floor.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-17-2012, 7:36 AM Reply   
I wanted seamless glass but got tired of spending at that point. This was a semi custom house...any changes made were paid by me outside of the original loan amount.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-17-2012, 8:51 AM Reply   
Because my tile mortar bed seems to be failing, I am considering re-doing my shower which has walls and steps made of man-made marble. The jacuzzi is the same stuff. It is kind of snowballing here... Enjoying the pics.
Old     (spridle)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-19-2012, 9:30 PM Reply   
I have used the pre-formed bases, and a mortar bed as well. I have had tile guys that want a membrane before the bed, and some that don't want me to touch anything besides setting the drain. I have nothing bad to say about the purchased units. They are what they say. Have you looked into the Schlueter (spelling) system?
I prefer to shy away from Pfister. And Delta. Most things at the box stores. I know Moen switches the drain body out to a plastic unit. All brass from the supply house.
Personally I would not worry about swapping out a tub for a shower. As long as there is a tub in the house somewhere.
Kohler sells retrofit bases that are cast iron and drop in place of a tub. Lasko may offer a composite, and I'm sure there are fiberglass units available.
Imperial Marble can make you a full shower. The material is like solid surface, epoxy base. Their base is a solid shaped piece, In a lot of colors. Then they sell sheets 3/8 thick to cover the walls with. Easy cleaning, no leaking grout lines. I'm sure there are others that make them as well.
Oh and make sure the shower head is up al 6-8 or above. I don't know anyone that likes to crouch when showering. Hope that helps some?
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-20-2012, 9:42 AM Reply   
Yep. Thanks for the advice. Getting ready to start demo this week... Priced out alot of different options, still got a couple a decisions to make. Should be an interesting project.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-29-2012, 9:19 AM Reply   
Anyone have any opinions on Compression Fittings? Im considering putting them in behind the sink. The pipes are pretty deep in the wall getting a torch in there would be a complete pain.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-29-2012, 10:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfan23 View Post
Anyone have any opinions on Compression Fittings? Im considering putting them in behind the sink. The pipes are pretty deep in the wall getting a torch in there would be a complete pain.
I hate'em. I'm not sure placing them inside the wall would be wise or even legal; but I'm more electrical. To me, it would be like burying a splice or wire nut in the wall without an access point.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-29-2012, 10:44 AM Reply   
Putting a torch on copper pipes that have previous leaks is a good way to make more leaks.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-29-2012, 2:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
Putting a torch on copper pipes that have previous leaks is a good way to make more leaks.
How's that? A thin, worn walled pipe won't like a compression fitting. I know you know this, but solder melts at a much lower temp than copper. If you get the copper red, it's too hot and now you're looking at brazing.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-29-2012, 7:37 PM Reply   
I am tying into a new thick walled pipe... I dropped a new line from the bathtub down and over.
Old     (spridle)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-30-2012, 7:51 AM Reply   
Sharkbite fitting. It'll save your buns.
Old    alanp            08-30-2012, 7:03 PM Reply   
a few years ago i redid the bathrooms in the house i bought. i really didnt want to keep a tub but felt for resale it would make sense in my neighborhood. also enclosed the shower/tub walls with tile and have a tile floor on the stand alone shower. no issues and wouldnt change a thing
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-06-2012, 3:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeboardingdad View Post
How's that? A thin, worn walled pipe won't like a compression fitting. I know you know this, but solder melts at a much lower temp than copper. If you get the copper red, it's too hot and now you're looking at brazing.
Sorry late reply. Copper pipes start leaking when they corrode and develop pinhole leaks. When that happens you will probably have other corroded spots that will develop leaks. Heating the pipe just causes those corroded pinholes to start leaking right away.

A permanent fix for a pinhole leak is to take a hose clamp and a piece of rubber sheet (cut up a bicycle tube), then wrap and clamp. Unfortunately many of those leaks are right at joints and make this fix unworkable. The reason why leaks form near joints is because the pipes weren't cleaned that well after using acid based flux.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-07-2012, 1:42 PM Reply   
I can attest to the fact that I would never even consider a house without a master bath. Our big oversized tub and separate shower were a big selling point for me on our house. Definitely keep the tub.
Old     (cragrat)      Join Date: Mar 2012       09-14-2012, 12:25 PM Reply   
Name:  246938_2089737088802_6657358_n.jpg
Views: 1539
Size:  86.5 KB

Name:  253308_2089739048851_7137939_n.jpg
Views: 1548
Size:  69.5 KB

One of my projects...
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-21-2012, 5:57 AM Reply   
looks good.

Yesterday I poured the shower base. that was interesting. Almost time to tile.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-10-2012, 7:20 PM Reply   
Okay, Well hopefully this is the last question on this project....

So im looking to buy a new toilet... Ton of options. However, I am looking for a for a small toilet. I cant believe I cant find a normal looking toilet that has a depth under 26'. Space is limited in this tiny bathroom and the last thing I want is a toilet sticking further than needed.

Anyone have any? Thanks
Old     (spridle)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-05-2012, 8:56 AM Reply   
Kohler toilets have always been my choice. I've installe quite a few Wellworths with great feed back. They're real plain, Kohler does have some round bowl fancier stuff available though.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-05-2012, 10:55 AM Reply   
Posted a few times on this already, but I am thinking of doing this myself. It has been awhile since I did something this massive but you guys are inspiring me...
Old     (battersbyliam)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-10-2013, 5:52 AM Reply   
I recommend a site www.selectsolutions.net.au for kitchen and bathroom renovation!!! It's really helpful for you.