Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 12, 2008

Old     (jearley35purdue)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-11-2008, 1:07 PM Reply   
Any Midwest folks been to this before? I'm thinking about hitting it up being only 4 hours from there, but want to make sure it's worth my time. Is there any camping facilities on site???
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-11-2008, 1:28 PM Reply   
I think that my crew is rolling down there. Never been put I have been talking with the guys thoughing the event sounds like a ton of fun.
Old     (alliecat0223)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-11-2008, 8:17 PM Reply   
There is not much if any camping. I would suggest to get a hotel in that area. I have been before, but cant go this year since it is when I work out at the Indy 500 qualifications. It is a great event to go to. THe boys do a great job at this event. Just watch it the water may be cold.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-12-2008, 5:21 AM Reply   
I was there last year and I'll be there this year. It's a good time for a good cause. I'm going to bing my boat and a few of my wakesurf boards including my home made 9 footer.
Old     (jearley35purdue)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-12-2008, 9:49 AM Reply   
Show,
That's sweet. How does this event work? Is it a comp or is it just kind of a meet and greet for a good cause? I sold my boat, so what do guys like me do? Just show up and hope to get some pulls?

Jeremy
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-12-2008, 2:58 PM Reply   
Jeremy, it's not a competition. Before last year the event was organized as an ice breaker, first ride of the season kind of thing. Sop plan to meet new and old friends, get a few pulls, and have fun. Then cancer claimed Della Krupp. Jeigh Krupp, Della's son, and Zach Lear changed the event to "Crush the Ice for Life" to commemorate Della as well as Lucille Viles.

Last year there was food, drink, and a lot of prizes. There were three tournament boats, mine, a CC, and a MC. This year I’ll bring my Enzo, I’m sure other boats will be there. You should have no trouble getting some riding in.

I’ll email Zach and see if he can add a little more depth.

Here's the Mighty Enzo - My new boat.
Upload

This young lady walked away with a brand new Inland Surfer 4Skim board - The pink color was fitting of the event.
Upload

Boats from last year
Upload
Upload
Upload
The red one is my old boat

Three board prizes and a lot of Shawg on the tables.
Upload
Old     (jearley35purdue)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-12-2008, 7:26 PM Reply   
Show,
Getting a few pulls behind that boat of yours would be bad a**. That thing is sweet. Sounds like the event will be a great time. I'm really going to try and make it over for it. I've got a pretty good crew of three guys and will see if they want to check it out as well.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-12-2008, 9:02 PM Reply   
To whoever is organizing this:

Please drop us a line at midwestwakeboarder.com next year, we would be happy to send out some shwag for the cause.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-12-2008, 9:05 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3320/562262.html?1206658232
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-13-2008, 9:52 AM Reply   
Hello everyone. I am one of the co-founders of the Ice Breaker Crush the Ice for Life.
Feel Free to call me 260-343-1953 my name is Zach and I would be happy to answer any questions!!!

Here is the history of this free ride event! I spoke with the local hotel and can get very good rates.
The Ice Breaker started in 2006 as a way to kick off the wakeboarding season in Indiana, and also provide a way for riders to meet new people who shared a love in the sport. The event took place on a arctic rainy day in late April, where it would be thought that no one would even look at the water, let alone get in it! However, after five boats were filled up with wakeboarders we realized that we were wrong! Even with the adverse conditions, more than fifty people of both riders and spectators took to the lake to make the best of the conditions. The event was a great success leading to the scheduling of the event the following year!
In 2007, the Ice Breaker would take on a whole new meaning. In March of that year, Jeigh Krupp’s mother, Della Krupp, passed away from cancer. Della was a school teacher for 25 years. She was a unique person who had a passion to touch the lives of every student in one way or another. Yet, this did not stop at her students; anybody who had the privilege to meet her could tell that she was a very special person. In the next few months to come Zach Lear’s grandmother, Lucille Viles, also passed away from cancer. Lucille was a very loving grandma, mother, and friend. Both of us believe in our hearts that the Ice Breaker is a way to keep their passion alive for years to come!
Though the passing of Jeigh’s mother was a great loss to his family and friends, we found an amazing positive that we could make of the situation. Together we contacted the American Cancer Society about possibly taking the Ice Breaker and making it into an event to raise money for cancer awareness. With our love of wakeboarding, and our drive to do something special in remembrance, we teamed up to turn the Ice Breaker into a cancer benefit to “Crush The Ice For Life!”
With our combined efforts to make this event something to remember, we were able to gather several sponsors and supporters to help us with our cause. When the event took place on May 12th, 2007, we could not have asked for a better turnout! We had over one hundred people attend with a mixture of riders, spectators, and cancer survivors. At the end of the day, we were able to raise over $1700 to donate to the American Cancer Society! In addition, $3500 of gear from t-shirts to wakeskates were given away because of the courtesy of our sponsors. However, even with all the excitement of donations to give away, the greatest aspect of the event was seeing groups of different people learn from each other and learn even more about cancer awareness! An opportunity that may not have presented itself in different circumstances. The Ice Breaker is our way of remembering Della Krupp, and others lost to cancer.
In 2008, we are holding high expectations of the potential for this years event! We were able to start planning much sooner, which has led to greater support and the creation of “The Dependable Thousand Dollars Club”. We will be featuring professional and semi-professional riders. Mark Weikel, Adam Wensik, John Klein, and local rider Andrew Shearer, just to name a few. Support has been so good this year that we have added the “Rider For Cancer Tour” presented by Centurion, Reliable Tool and Machine. Check out more on the tour at www.riderforcancertour.com . This year well have wakeboards, wakeskates, wakesurf boards, and much, much more. Come out May 10 and help support this wonderful cause. ICE BREAKER, “CRUSH THE ICE FOR LIFE”
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-13-2008, 11:47 AM Reply   
sorry, but its the Ride For Cancer tour and the web site is www.rideforcancertour.com
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-14-2008, 10:44 AM Reply   
I have done a some check and here are two places that you can camp at if you would like to come up the night before.
First
Gordon's Camping Resort
http://www.gordonscamping.com/
(260) 351-3383
9500 E 600 S
Wolcottville, IN 46795

Second
BIXLER LAKE CAMPGROUND
P.O. Box 516
Kendallville, Indiana 46755
(260) 347-9941
May - October (Campground Direct)
(260) 347-1064
Year Round 8am to 5 pm
http://www.campindiana.com/Campgrounds/BixlerLake.html

Here is the address for the Site of the Event so you can map quest it from either location. Both around withing 15 minutes of the site.
Gene Stratton Porter
1205 Pleasant Pt
Rome City, IN 46784-9644

I am also talking to the local best western about getting discount rates for those of you that don't like to camp!

(Message edited by zleartsu on April 14, 2008)
Old     (jearley35purdue)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-15-2008, 6:12 AM Reply   
Thanks Zach, this is exactly what I was needing.
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       04-16-2008, 5:07 AM Reply   
Hey Jeremy, It will definitely be great to see you out there for our event on May 10th. Depending on what you want, I have camped at Gordon's and it is a great time there. Quite a bit bigger and probably going to be a little crazier. Bixler is going to most likely be more low key so depending on what you are looking for, either one will work out really well!
Old     (jearley35purdue)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-16-2008, 7:35 AM Reply   
I'm definitely interested in Gordon's if that is the case. How many people you guys expecting out this year?

Jeremy
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-16-2008, 8:26 AM Reply   
I am thinking we will have over 300. with a 50/50 mix of riders and people coming to support a solid cause. We will have 5-6 boats on hand to provide pulls and other activites to keep people entertain. The local community is showing great support and I think its going to be a great event! Cant wait to meet you.
Old     (ckkohl)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-17-2008, 6:47 PM Reply   
what lake is this being held on? and when is it?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-17-2008, 8:17 PM Reply   
May 10 Appropriately Mothers day weekend.

Rome, Indiana, Sylvan Lake.

See also: http://www.wakeboardmidwest.com/forumsthreaddefault.aspx?itemid=4792
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-18-2008, 4:24 AM Reply   
Show,

The location is actually Rome City, IN and it will be held on Sylvan Lake like you said. Just wanted to clarify.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-18-2008, 4:52 AM Reply   
Thanks
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-18-2008, 6:17 AM Reply   
Its at Gene Stratton-Porter
1205 Pleasnt Point
Rome city, IN 46755
http://www.genestratton-porter.com/
this is a web site of the site with the event takes place.
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       04-29-2008, 7:43 AM Reply   
Hey Jeremy, who do you ride with in Akron?
Old     (jearley35purdue)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-01-2008, 12:29 PM Reply   
I ride with few different individuals. I don't know their last names but a guy by the name of Matt and another dude by the name of Mike K. Mike lives on Springfield Lake here and keeps his boat at his house. Makes it really convenient for quick sets afterwork. I'm 5 mins from the dock.

Jeremy
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-09-2008, 6:11 AM Reply   
Jeigh or Zach. Is this site different form last year. Where should I launch the Mighty Enzo? What street is the public ramp on?

I'm bringing two of my regular crew. I expect to meet Jeremy there as well.

Thanks see you tomorrow.
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       05-09-2008, 6:12 AM Reply   
Hope to see you there!!

Upload
Old     (jearley35purdue)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-09-2008, 6:48 AM Reply   
Where is everyone staying? Camping? Hotel?

I know it's a little late to be thinking of this but I was expecting to tent at a worse case scenario.

Jeremy
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-09-2008, 6:56 AM Reply   
I'm getting up early and driving out and back in a day.
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       05-09-2008, 7:07 AM Reply   
There is a hotel in Kendallville about 10 min away from the site and then there are 2 camping places about the same distance away. If that doesn't work I am sure Zach and I can work something out. Just hit us up.