Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 12, 2008

Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-05-2008, 12:26 AM Reply   
I am almost certain that I am going to catch some flack for this question, but what is the difference between a roam wakeboard and the standard style wakeboard? I see that it is shaped more like a snowboard, but is it used for a specific type of riding, or a specific skill of rider?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-05-2008, 12:44 AM Reply   
They flex like a snowboard also. They're known to be good for rail riding. Some guys ride them very well behind the boat too, but it's an acquired skill. It takes some getting used to.
Old     (inty399)      Join Date: May 2007       05-05-2008, 5:23 AM Reply   
I really like my roam at the cable park.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-05-2008, 6:12 AM Reply   
I finaly got out on mine this weekend. I ride the LF Trip as my other board and I really didn't notice much difference between the two other than the loose ride when not on edge. This is actually a plus for me because I like hitting surface tricks as much as I do the wake.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-05-2008, 8:33 AM Reply   
I got a Roam a few weeks back to use as my secondary board and I have to say I really like it it's a lot of fun to play around on it took a little bit to get a feel for toeside but all in all I like it lots of fun
Old     (ethan31)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-05-2008, 3:03 PM Reply   
Roams are awesome. Get one you will love it.

I wish they made the 05' shape with the 07' durability......anyone from hyperlite on here :-)
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-05-2008, 3:17 PM Reply   
i rode the roam for almost 5 years as my only board. it was alot of fun and really helped out edge control but this year ive decided that i need some fins so im ridin the byerly monarch now. it depends on how you want to ride with the roam. it can be very hard to figure out how to ride wake to wake but if your just messing around or hittin rails and jibbing its a really easy board to ride.

Upload

Upload
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-05-2008, 3:47 PM Reply   
I like the board and had an 05, the inserts ripped out towards the end of last season after a fall. I will buy another one, they are great when the water is butter and you need some variety in your life.
Old     (jeremyclifford)      Join Date: May 2008       05-05-2008, 5:54 PM Reply   
The roam is a great time on smooth water. I got it at the end of last summer and haven't gotten back on my parks board yet.

It helped me to learn switch and how to edge (board has no fins so less face plants when riding switch).
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-05-2008, 11:41 PM Reply   
Hey thanks for all the input guys. So from your comments, I take it that no fins makes cutting different. Is it like when you snowboard and you want to take big arching turns? More focus on carving than big air?
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-06-2008, 4:30 AM Reply   
Your right on the spot. You'll see people leaning back and just wrenching on a wakeboard to start their cuts, cant do that on a Roam...you need to initiate a more mellow cut and then hold your edge. It's helped me majorly to keep an edge to the wake. The pics above speak to gettin' big air though lol but its totally a blast man. if you can pick one up I'd say go for it. Dont be afraid to look for an 05' or an 06' model. they ride the same and will save you some cash. just make sure you get the PROPER BOOT SCREWS! The roam has its own boot screws! lol your in serious danger of busting a boot out REAL easily of you dont have em. take my word for it lol i did it
Old     (ethan31)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-06-2008, 5:19 AM Reply   
I'd stay away from the 05'. I loved the shape but i riped one of my boots out after 2 sets. And I was using the roam screws. my .02
Old     (beisbol20)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-06-2008, 5:28 PM Reply   
got an older roam. had to get one after trying a buddy's out. i'm not a great wakeboarder and haven't been able to get as good as i would've like due to knee surgery. but messing around with a roam before i use my board (lf trip) makes a huge difference! you get a better feel of balance and edging. then you add a more stable board w/ fins. i think it's a great learning tool as well as fun toy.
Old     (my_malibu)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-06-2008, 7:13 PM Reply   
have one for sale if anyone is interested
brand new in original packing
08 hyperlite roam 144
$175

(Message edited by my_malibu on May 06, 2008)
Old     (ckkohl)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-07-2008, 5:43 AM Reply   
does anyone else have any that are like a 137 for sale????
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-07-2008, 6:57 AM Reply   
I tried a Roam for the first time yesterday, and I'll say for me it will take a couple more time's to get used to. Like someone mentioned above you cant take a real hard edge ( or at least I couldn't) cause it felt like the nose would start to dig in and sink. All in all I enjoyed it, and think I probably would have liked it more if the water was smoother.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-07-2008, 5:00 PM Reply   
the roam comes in a 139 and 144.
Old     (waken4life)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-07-2008, 7:47 PM Reply   
the ronix covenants shape is the new improved roam, the nose and tail on the covenant aren't 100% rounded like the roam and it will not hang up giving to smooth edge to edge and more room to really lay into a hard edge or slaysh. Once I rode the ronix I never went back to the roam.
Old     (ethan31)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-07-2008, 7:49 PM Reply   
Paul, How is the flex of the covenants compared to the roam? Is one stiffer than the other?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-07-2008, 9:47 PM Reply   
lets throw in the R5 to make it all the more complicated ;)