Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2008

Old    tythurston            04-10-2008, 9:15 AM Reply   
Do you think some of our top riders are millionaires or what do you think they are making??

I don't think they are millionaires off of winning contest there's no way but I don't what they are getting paid for making appearances and such things like that?? And also sponsorships??
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-10-2008, 9:26 AM Reply   
wasn't this poll done a couple months ago ?
Old     (nbomzy)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-10-2008, 10:33 AM Reply   
I heard that Danny Harf is making between 250-500,000 per year. Is there any truth to this????

I bet Rusty is pulling in the most cash
Old    nwwakerider            04-10-2008, 10:41 AM Reply   
Doesn't Harf own part of Ronix as well? This poll was done before.

They may be millionaires becuase they dont have to pay for their boats or repairs. They also get free clothing, boards, bindings, and prolly free gas from sponsors.
Old     (bobert)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-10-2008, 10:55 AM Reply   
I would be surprised if Byerly and the riders that are working in the Bus as well aren't millionairs. On contests alone I doubt they are though. Maybe if they are smart and diversify and have other investments they are.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-10-2008, 10:56 AM Reply   
I can pretty much say, that I don't know one wakeboarder that made millions wakeboarding.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-10-2008, 11:12 AM Reply   
If the poll is about living the life, I'd say pretty much all of them are millionaires. Getting paid to do what you love (even if it's not a million), sure beats going into your cubicle and sitting in traffic to earn a living ANY day.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-10-2008, 11:23 AM Reply   
Nick, I heard the same thing about Harf, last year I think HArf had the most $$ coming in..even over Rusty.

From sitting and talking in a non competitive environment, at a hosues or in a local bar some of those guys have it together and some are just freakin clueless about their future. Was surprised to learn JD webb has quite a bit of real estate investmetns across the country and some international.

(Message edited by wake1823 on April 10, 2008)

(Message edited by wake1823 on April 10, 2008)
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-10-2008, 11:49 AM Reply   
I'm pretty sure Jimmy Trask is a Millionare.
His Dad is H.S. Trask the shoe maker.

(Message edited by woreout on April 10, 2008)
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-10-2008, 12:01 PM Reply   
Supposedly Dallas Friday was making six figures when she was fifteen or sixteen. She owns a couple of houses on private lakes as well...
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-10-2008, 12:02 PM Reply   
If they only make 100k a year...they are truly doing something they love. I would take that job.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-10-2008, 12:05 PM Reply   
Shapiro said at the height of his money making, he pulled 4-500k a year. This was with sponsors, contest, etc. I remember reading this is a magazine article I believe.

There may be a SMALL handful that are millionaires now but they have branched out. Maybe Byerly and Gator with their companies, and other guys with their wakeboard camps but thats about it.
Old     (mxflyer281)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-10-2008, 12:39 PM Reply   
Are we talking about there total money earnings? Or are we including things like free boats, boards, trips etc. If its the first on then I'd say somewhere around 100k probibly not even that much. They don't live in that nice of houses and if they are nice they usually have roomates. Roomates are fun for awhile but if you could afford your own house you wouldn't have them.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-10-2008, 1:15 PM Reply   
Cobe has probably done the best.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-10-2008, 1:22 PM Reply   
"Cobe has probably done the best"

I dont think the Murdog is doing that bad either.
I dont think any pro wakeboarders are pulling in 7 figures per year. they may own 1 or multiple homes, but factor in the areas where they own them. a couple of homes in Cali may be worth millions, but a couple of homes in FL might not be.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-10-2008, 2:13 PM Reply   
I like the concept of not basing our success or failure by the dollars we make.

I would rather have my kids be sheep farmers in New Zealand than a Heath Ledger or Brittany Spears.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-10-2008, 4:24 PM Reply   
rusty got his big payday from mc when they got him away from tige. multi year multi million dollar deal but i dont know if any of this is fact it is what i was told. it is america anything can happen. he is a great rider and deserves every nickel he gets.what ever the number maybe
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-10-2008, 4:52 PM Reply   
I hate to burst your bubbles, but none of them are making 7 figures yet.

Compared to Surfing, wakeboarders make substantially less and there are only a handful of surfers making 7 figures.

I would guess the top guys pulling 100-500 k
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-10-2008, 5:02 PM Reply   
But if Shapiro as making 500K in his prime wouldn't you think that number has grown since he left the tour? I remember that article in wakeboarding mag because I remember they asked that question to Darin and Colin Wright, kind of the contest/free ride thing.
Old     (mckenna)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-10-2008, 5:14 PM Reply   
i agree, pays would be much higher these days. riders could be signing 5 year deals with sponsors that could be worth 1 or 2 million for the whole 5 years. i guess this still makes them a millionaire even though the cash is spread over time.
Old     (nevada_champ)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-10-2008, 5:37 PM Reply   
I don't think they are making millions but I'm pretty sure they make bank
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-10-2008, 6:11 PM Reply   
"They also get free clothing, boards, bindings, and prolly free gas from sponsors."

If I got that I would be set for life and money would no longer matter.

Edit: I would survie by eating the free clothes.

Edit 2: And I'd Live In The Boat.

(Message edited by hawk7 on April 10, 2008)

(Message edited by hawk7 on April 10, 2008)
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-10-2008, 6:16 PM Reply   
the poll doesn't ask if we think they make millions per year, it asks if any of them are millionaires - and I'd think that over the span of their careers, if they don't blow it all, there would be a least a few who are millionaires!

we all know competition winnings won't make anyone a millionaire, but with endorsements/sponsorship deals, not to mention owning pro shops and wakeboard schools, accumulated over (for eg) a decade, there must be a few who are millionaires by now...
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       04-11-2008, 8:33 AM Reply   
Assuming that a very select few haven't squandered everything they have come across, there might be a couple, but not likely. Murray, Parks, Shapiro, Harf and maybe a couple more. Remember they're just like the rest of us, if they buy a house, they probably have a mortgage. Net worth is the value of all investments less associated debts. Liquid net worth excludes anything that cannot be converted to cash quickly. So, who really knows, but knowing a few guys in the bus...they do ok. At the end of the day, they make a living doing what they love. I'm also fairly confident that everything they get (clothes, equip, etc.) is 1099 Misc...ie, taxable income. Others however, make a living doing something that allows us to do what we love. Half full or empty, as long as you're out on the water life is good!
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-11-2008, 8:35 AM Reply   
many of them are set for life before they ever strapped a wakeboard on, so they are millionaires in that respect.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-11-2008, 8:49 AM Reply   
The question is vague.

Do any make a million a year? I doubt it.

Have any accumulated over a million in their career? Absolutely.

I can think of at least 6 or 7 that I believe have earned that kind of money.

And As Tim said, I know some were rollin' before wakeboarding was even invented.