Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (BFix)      Join Date: Jun 2014       06-10-2014, 9:24 AM Reply   
Picked up my first ski boat on Saturday! 89' Marlin Elite. It's nothin special but it's a start. Anyone own one of these before? Any comments or suggestions appreciated.
Attached Images

Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-10-2014, 9:25 AM Reply   
Looks like you've already capsized it, oh noes!
Old     (BFix)      Join Date: Jun 2014       06-10-2014, 9:29 AM Reply   
...annd the pictures upside down. Sorry I'm a rookie here.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-10-2014, 9:56 AM Reply   
Sweet. Congrats and welcome to the game......
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-10-2014, 10:03 AM Reply   
Don't worry about the picture being upside down. There is some weird bug on this site that flips pictures upside down randomly. I normally open up an editor, flip it around, so it looks upside down, save it, close it, then open it again and flip it the right way, save it, and upload it again. That sometimes works.

That being said, I haven't heard of that model before, but doing a little research, I found that they most likely used molds of another manufacturer at that time. I have heard the hulls and builds compared to Mastercraft, Malibu, and American Skiiers of that era.

Good deal for finding an 89 direct drive with an open bow though. Not a lot of boats had that combo going on back then. Mainly just the Sunsport family and the Sunsetters. How much did you pick it up for if I can ask?
Old     (BFix)      Join Date: Jun 2014       06-10-2014, 11:08 AM Reply   
Ahh ill see if I can get some better pics when I get home, thanks for the tip. I picked up the boat and trailer for $2600. Everything is solid mechanically, Chevy 350 runs strong and the trailer still has a few seasons left in it. The floor has 2 soft spots and the upholstery is faded but those are winter projects. Sound and lights for the tower are first on the list.. Recommendations for an audio setup that's not gonna cost me more than the boat?
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       06-10-2014, 11:24 AM Reply   
Even a budget audio system still adds up to quite a bit of money. Polk DB651s are great marine rated speakers for the money and can be had for $50 shipped per pair if you catch a sale. I've got 8 of those (4 on the tower, 4 in the boat) so that's $200. I got my tower speakers with my tower essentially for free during an off season tower sale. They're not the best but they do work. Unless you like radio or CDs I'd just pickup a $50 equalizer and skip the head unit. Then feed the equalizer with a line out from your phone, ipod, etc. Spend the head unit money on a better amp. If you want a subwoofer then get a 5 channel. If not you can use a 4 channel. I picked up a Polk Audio 5 channel D5000.5 for $323 shipped and it's great. The sub will depend on your specific amp whether you'd want to get a dual voice coil or single voice coil. With that particular Polk amp a dual 2 ohm voice coil sub is ideal. I had an old but still very good Image Dynamics 10" woofer that I used but a comparable new woofer would be about $280.

So, even what most would consider a "budget system" works out to $800+ if you have to go out and buy everything even at decent prices. If you've got time and can scrounge for used stuff on CraigsList and wait for off season deals on the boat specific items like speaker cans you can do better.

Last edited by Jeff; 06-10-2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       06-10-2014, 4:12 PM Reply   
Great starter boat, learn how to back it up without worrying about some obstacles , learn all the basics and practice this and that, have fun, then when it’s time to move up to a newer one, you have all the basics down, I know someone that has never owned a boat or even towed and knows nothing about it, just buy a 2014 loaded wakesetter, going to be interesting …
Old     (shorewake)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-11-2014, 6:24 AM Reply   
nice boat man. Your profile says Bobby Fix?? I think we know each other. That boat goin to Lake Lenape?
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-11-2014, 7:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenteck View Post
Great starter boat, learn how to back it up without worrying about some obstacles , learn all the basics and practice this and that, have fun, then when it’s time to move up to a newer one, you have all the basics down, I know someone that has never owned a boat or even towed and knows nothing about it, just buy a 2014 loaded wakesetter, going to be interesting …
good advice!
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-11-2014, 7:13 AM Reply   
Teach your friends how to drive it, back it up, tow it, and most importantly CLEAN it. This way as you change boats over the years you have a knowledgable crew that knows it takes hard work and money to keep it afloat.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-11-2014, 7:57 AM Reply   
great starter boat. Those hulls phantom mentioned are proven so you should be able to get a good wake out of it. Maybe even a decent surf wave.

check out your local craigslist for amps/subs on the cheap. put some decent components with it and you should be in business for a very reasonable price.

Have fun!!
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       06-12-2014, 5:04 AM Reply   
Cool boat. My first boat was an '89 Marlin Cobra (I/O). Decent boat, it was rode hard and put away wet so had its issues but served me well for a few years until I got my Supra. Don't see many Marlins on the east coast so surprised to see another one in NJ. Not sure where you ride but I ride on the Delaware usually out of Florence so maybe we'll cross paths.