Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-17-2013, 11:31 AM Reply   
So about 10 months back I sold my 08 F250 6.4 PSD. was a great truck, but I was never impressed by the poor mileage, and we really didn't need such a nice truck for a shop rig. I bought a super clean 04 F150 Lariat 5.4 4x4, and it worked out really well. But I forgot how many white F150 supercrews there are out there....everybody has one, and I don't care for how they look lifted for some reason. So last week our car sales guy at the Benz dealership calls us up (my wife is a car freak and changes vehicles every 18 months or so, and has an affinity for Benz's, so this guy has become a friend of the family over the past 8 years) and tells me he took a truck on trade I need to see. One look I was sold, one drive I was listing the F150 on Craigslist and sold it same day. Bought this 08 Tundra CrewMax SR5. I've never even sat in one of these before this one, but I'm impressed. The back seat on this CrewMax body is amazing....my son is now 6'3 and my daughter is 5'10 (at 15 and 13 years), so they dig the room. What a motor...this truck pulls a 10,000 pound boat every bit as well as the 6.4 diesel did.

Couple questions for anyone who know these trucks: It has 33x12.50x20 tires on it. Do you think it has been lifted/leveled, or is this the stock ride heighth? The exhaust has been done, but everything else under the hood appears stock. Would I benefit from an air filter kit and a chip? Any problem areas I should keep an eye on?
Attached Images

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-17-2013, 11:38 AM Reply   
you lost me at "this truck pulls a 10,000 pound boat every bit as well as the 6.4 diesel did" :-)
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       06-17-2013, 11:55 AM Reply   
Lost me when you posted a "truck" and "toyota" in the same sentance.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-17-2013, 11:57 AM Reply   
Thats my honest opinion....the 6.4 in my F250 never felt anywhere near as strong as either the various 7.3 PSD's or the 5.9 cummins that I've owned. Please take into consideration that my "pulls" are almost exclusively somewhere between 2 and 25 miles to pick up or deliver or run a boat to the river to water test. No long grades or anything. I pulled a Parker 2320 that I'm guessing goes north of 9K this morning to the trailer shop, and I would say this truck is as strong as the 6.4 around town all day.

I don't want to start a gas/diesel discussion...I've owned 5 diesel trucks since 1999, and at this point the diesel just doesnt justify the extra cost for what I use a truck for. For example, I put a whopping 6000 miles on the F150 i just sold in 10 months, so I don't drive near enough to make fuel economy or engine longevity factor into my needs.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-17-2013, 12:14 PM Reply   
You asked for others' opinions so here's mine: Looks good but I'd be worried about stopping power in an emergency situation-especially with the 9000+lb boat you just mentioned. Stopping power is one of the many benefits you get with a big boy truck over a foreign brand.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-17-2013, 12:53 PM Reply   
I was just giving you ****.

But I do agree that Gas trucks are getting better, while diesel trucks seem to be losing their advantage.
Old     (joebob)      Join Date: Jan 2011       06-17-2013, 1:00 PM Reply   
I hear ya meathead. I have been rolling a the same truck since 08. Mine is lifted with 35's. I would say your truck most likely has a leveling kit or a spacer 3" lift. Everybody has their right to say whatever but honestly these trucks rock. I have towed close to 10k with mine and the only downside is the gas mileage at that weight. The brakes are huge on these trucks, so stopping is not an issue, "do your research people." And if your towing that much, I would sure hope you have some type of trailer brakes. Nice looking truck, there will always be haters.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-17-2013, 1:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
You asked for others' opinions so here's mine: Looks good but I'd be worried about stopping power in an emergency situation-especially with the 9000+lb boat you just mentioned. Stopping power is one of the many benefits you get with a big boy truck over a foreign brand.
OK I'll bite......so the "foreign" truck, that is built in Texas with 75% domestic components, weighs in at 900 lbs. less than my 08 F250, but has bigger brakes by 1/2 inch diameter or so all the way around. How does the Ford win?

I'm no import fanboy looking to stir the pot, I have the subjective opinion of someone who has owned 5 diesel and 2 gas domestic 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton trucks in the last 15 years.

JoeBob....thanks for the input.
Old     (Slicks)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-17-2013, 1:13 PM Reply   
I have the exact same truck in two wheel drive. I just turned 100k miles last week. I have had one issue with the truck. The yoke on the end of the driveshaft has developed a very small leak where the ATF leaks out. It leaks approx 1 quart every 10 months. The correct fix for this is to replace the driveshaft (the dealer does not sell the yoke as a separate item). That would be approx $1600 plus labor. I elected to take it to my neighbor/mechanic and let him check and fill the fluid as needed every six months or so.

I came to this truck from a 2002 Ford F150 Supercrew. That was a very good, reliable truck. The Tundra is, in every way superior. The power is crazy good. The economy is better than any truck I've ever owned (diesels included). The comfort for front and rear seat passengers is better. I have owned both Dodge and Ford diesels. They were good for what they are designed, towing HEAVY loads. If I were towing 15000lb gooseneck trailers on a daily basis, that is what I would own now. That is not my situation and doesn't appear to be the OP's situation either. I can tow my 4000 pound wakeboat with tandem trailer and brakes 200 miles and basically not know it's back there. The mileage drops considerably when towing (down to approx 10mpg from my typical 18mpg highway). But, when taken into context of my typical daily driving habits, that is nowhere near the tipping point to justify a diesel 3/4 ton truck.

The only modification i have made is adding a cold air intake. I did this very early into my ownership so I really can't say how much effects the performance/economy of the truck.

As for stopping power here are some test results I found comparing the different makes of 1/2 ton trucks.
http://special-reports.pickuptrucks....1/braking.html

I can say, without a doubt, when the time comes, the replacement will be another Toyota Tundra.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-17-2013, 1:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicks View Post
I have the exact same truck in two wheel drive. I just turned 100k miles last week. I have had one issue with the truck. The yoke on the end of the driveshaft has developed a very small leak where the ATF leaks out. It leaks approx 1 quart every 10 months. The correct fix for this is to replace the driveshaft (the dealer does not sell the yoke as a separate item). That would be approx $1600 plus labor. I elected to take it to my neighbor/mechanic and let him check and fill the fluid as needed every six months or so.
You can't check your own tranny fluid?
Old     (Slicks)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-17-2013, 2:17 PM Reply   
There is no tranny dipstick. So, I cannot check the fluid easily. My neighbor has a full service shop and it's on my way to work. I can stop there at 6am, have him throw it on the lift and check and fill the fluid in less than 5 mins. The choice of spending $1600+ on the repair or a free cup of coffee every 6 mos is really a simple one. If it weren't for his generosity, this would be a HUGE pain in the a$$. Because of his generosity, it's VERY quick and easy. Quick stop, grab a cup of coffee in his waiting area and leave.

Full disclosure, the leaking yoke is a known issue in these trucks...there is a service bulletin on it.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-20-2013, 12:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by meathead65 View Post
OK I'll bite......so the "foreign" truck, that is built in Texas with 75% domestic components, weighs in at 900 lbs. less than my 08 F250, but has bigger brakes by 1/2 inch diameter or so all the way around. How does the Ford win?

I'm no import fanboy looking to stir the pot, I have the subjective opinion of someone who has owned 5 diesel and 2 gas domestic 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton trucks in the last 15 years.

JoeBob....thanks for the input.
I never mentioned Ford. I'm a cummins guy myself. Over 200K miles and still going strong. Let us know how that Toyota works out for ya. I'm curious, why so many trucks in 15 years?
Old     (DGREEN)      Join Date: May 2013       06-20-2013, 4:19 PM Reply   
That truck for sure has a leveling kit and looks great! I own both a 2010 tundra with a 6" lift and 37's as well as an 2009 chevy 1 ton duramax. I love both trucks and both serve their purpose very well. I am a contractor and have worked my tundra extremely hard, my boat is probably the lightest trailer I tow and it has been solid. The only issue I have had with this truck are my rear wheel bearings and I am currently replacing them. That is simply due to extreme hauling across multiple states. Tugging your heavy boat from 2 to 25 miles will be a cake walk. Gas mileage will suffer under tow, but that will be the case with any gasser as you probably know. Im a tundra believer. My 2 cents.
Old     (priszkid)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-20-2013, 5:25 PM Reply   
I've got the 2010 DC 4x4 and love it. Mine has the BDS 7" lift and 35's. I've had it for about a year and had zero issues to date. Since you have exhaust, you could look at an intake- I'm simply gonna put a hypertec programmer to recalculate the wheel size and shift points. I also debadged mine and have tinted my windows all the way around. Check out TundraTalk.net for really good info pertaining to intakes and programmers.
Old     (priszkid)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-20-2013, 5:26 PM Reply   
Oh ya- don't forget to take off your "nannies" when ur driving- it makes a world of difference!