Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (conrmic)      Join Date: Jan 2015       03-10-2015, 12:48 PM Reply   
I currently live in wisconsin, but I am hoping to move down to Florida after my senior year of high school to get more riding in. I would probably find a job down there and wakeboard in my free time. I want to do this for the chance to go pro possibly one day. Just wondering if there is anyone else that has done this that can give me ideas of what/how to do this. My biggest problem would be finding somewhere to stay and someone with a wakeboard boat since I would be down there by myself.
Old     (azwakeYO)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-10-2015, 3:10 PM Reply   
That's a killer dream, one that a lot of us have! I cant speak much for the ease of finding a crew down in florida but I think growing a name for your self in Wisconsin would be a first step. Get some recognition before you move.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-10-2015, 4:52 PM Reply   
Find a college to go to in Fl, join the wakeboard team, then, you have something to fall back on if the wakeboarding thing doesn't work out! Thats what a member of my crew did.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-11-2015, 1:41 PM Reply   
You'd be better off moving to Texas.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-11-2015, 8:47 PM Reply   
I'm not sure to what extent you might be academically inclined, but the best of both worlds might be to get into Rollins college in Orlando. There is a very active ski/boarding scene there, and this would probably be one of the easiest ways to meet people and get connected with riders. I don't know if this is still the case, but back in the day some of the early pros started out on or around the ski club at Rollins. I believe the club might even have boats and lakes on campus.

That way you can chase your dream, but if it doesn't work out, then you have a college degree to fall back on. I believe Rollins is decent from an academic standpoint. The main downside might be that it is a private college so tuition is probably expensive, I don't know, but at least cost of living is not so bad in Florida.

If it is outside your budget, then you might consider a similar approach with a smaller state school. If you are going to college while also trying to rise to pro ranks, then maybe your folks might be able/willing to provide some support.

I realize that is all some significant puzzle pieces that would need to fall into place. I'm just trying to get you to think creatively about your possible options.

Not to sound mean, but outlaw level riders are a dime a dozen in Orlando, and there are a whole lot of talented riders down there without boats trying to link up with people to get their riding time in. You would not be the first person who had this idea.

I agree with the previous poster that if you had a name locally and could even hopefully get some sponsorship from a local rep, then that person could help you make connections if/when you decide to make the move down to gator country.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-11-2015, 8:50 PM Reply   
And the idea about Texas might indeed be a good one depending on numerous factors, plus they cook very delicious varieties of dead animals there.

Last edited by dococ; 03-11-2015 at 8:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-11-2015, 8:58 PM Reply   
Didn't mean to parrot Joe's idea (didn't read all the responses, my bad!).
But education! Even the most naturally talented rider can fall victim to injury, and then you might be done, especially if you are just scraping by and thus have no health insurance. Attending college could provide the added bonus of letting you get insurance through the school if you're parents are unable to help out with this.
Sorry to be such a doctor buzzkill.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-11-2015, 9:00 PM Reply   
Follow your dreams man. If you love it and you have talent you can make it happen. But you need to have a game plan. So many talented groms out there now whove been riding since they could walk basically. I think there is still a lot more room in the cable scene than boat to make a name for yourself. Also its so so much more affordable. Plus transitioning from cable to boat is fairly easy. To get to where you need to be on boat, you need hella lots of time on the water. Like every day. Without a sponsor to hook you up its crazy expensive.
Old     (conrmic)      Join Date: Jan 2015       03-13-2015, 7:57 AM Reply   
Thank you for all the ideas. I was hoping to move down to Florida, find a job, and wakeboard, for a year and then i would be able to get in state tuition. That way I would be able to go to college there for much cheaper! But thank you for the thoughts and it is some more things that i have to figure out
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-13-2015, 9:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by conrmic View Post
Thank you for all the ideas. I was hoping to move down to Florida, find a job, and wakeboard, for a year and then i would be able to get in state tuition. That way I would be able to go to college there for much cheaper! But thank you for the thoughts and it is some more things that i have to figure out
Stick to that plan and you are solid. Out of state tuition is crazy. Definitely try to get residency.

Like others have said, find a college with a wake team when you start looking for schools. A big deciding factor for the school I chose (Sac State) was because they have a wake team. I was able to ride a ton on the team boat and I met a ton of great people. It made college even more enjoyable.
Being able to take a set, then head to the gym to shower, then go right to class was awesome.
Old     (conrmic)      Join Date: Jan 2015       03-13-2015, 9:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakemitch View Post
Stick to that plan and you are solid. Out of state tuition is crazy. Definitely try to get residency.

Like others have said, find a college with a wake team when you start looking for schools. A big deciding factor for the school I chose (Sac State) was because they have a wake team. I was able to ride a ton on the team boat and I met a ton of great people. It made college even more enjoyable.
Being able to take a set, then head to the gym to shower, then go right to class was awesome.
All i need to do is find someone I can live with for that first year.... very hard haha. But yeah I don't think college could get much better than that
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-13-2015, 8:24 PM Reply   
My advice would be to move to Texas, and go to Orlando occasionally.

Texas is the new mecca of wakeboarding. With 8 full size cable parks and plenty of lakes it pretty much takes a dump on Florida.

Florida is so over populated with world class riders that it is easy to get overlooked.

It would be good to go to Florida for maybe a month make some friends and meet a few team managers from some of the board companies then make a name for yourself in a different area.

Boat riding may not be the answer either. With wakesurfing being so simple that any average guy can be good at it, I feel that wakeboarding has peaked and will be surpassed. Boat companies are making much more sales through wakesurfing than wakeboarding. (I feel that wakesurfing is extremely lame and should have never been discovered)

If you ride well, make the right connections and promote yourself well you will succeed.

I feel that Texas is the best place to be at the moment, thats why I choose to be there.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       03-13-2015, 8:48 PM Reply   
You're lucky. I graduated college in 1994 and started wakeboarding in '96. College wake teams didn't exist.

Damn, I could only dream about having the opportunities of this generation.
Old     (conrmic)      Join Date: Jan 2015       03-14-2015, 9:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarslayer View Post
My advice would be to move to Texas, and go to Orlando occasionally.

Texas is the new mecca of wakeboarding. With 8 full size cable parks and plenty of lakes it pretty much takes a dump on Florida.

Florida is so over populated with world class riders that it is easy to get overlooked.

It would be good to go to Florida for maybe a month make some friends and meet a few team managers from some of the board companies then make a name for yourself in a different area.

Boat riding may not be the answer either. With wakesurfing being so simple that any average guy can be good at it, I feel that wakeboarding has peaked and will be surpassed. Boat companies are making much more sales through wakesurfing than wakeboarding. (I feel that wakesurfing is extremely lame and should have never been discovered)

If you ride well, make the right connections and promote yourself well you will succeed.

I feel that Texas is the best place to be at the moment, thats why I choose to be there.
First of all, couldn't agree with you more when it comes to wakesurfing. Fun to just fool around and do once in a while but idk how people have turned it into something almost as big as wakeboarding haha. But I never thought about or looked into Texas. Are you currently in my position trying to go pro or do you just ride for fun? And any ideas of places to stay or such that i could get by for a year before college? Thank you for your thoughts. Much appreciated
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-14-2015, 10:19 AM Reply   
He gets paid to ride, living the dream
Old     (wakehero21)      Join Date: Aug 2014       03-15-2015, 10:17 AM Reply   
you don't have to move to become pro. NW Ohio has a pro, one of whom some of my friends have gotten to ride with. and he grew up here too
Old     (sambo13)      Join Date: Jun 2009       03-16-2015, 1:49 PM Reply   
Come on down to Texas A&M. http://www.tamuwake.com/
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-17-2015, 2:59 PM Reply   
There's no money in Wakeboarding....Only lifestyle. Go to school so you can afford to keep riding! Just my $.02
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-17-2015, 3:02 PM Reply   
(I feel that wakesurfing is extremely lame and should have never been discovered)

Hot damn. Amen. **** yeah.
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       03-17-2015, 3:25 PM Reply   
Wakesurfing = rollerblading.... Very expensive rollerblading
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       03-18-2015, 5:24 PM Reply   
What Solo said!!!!! But if u want to pursue nows the time when your young. Move to FL or TX but do enroll in school and get on the wake team to start.
Old     (conrmic)      Join Date: Jan 2015       03-19-2015, 9:18 AM Reply   
do you guys know roughly how much pro wakeboarders make? I know it varies for each person
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-19-2015, 3:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo View Post
There's no money in Wakeboarding....Only lifestyle. Go to school so you can afford to keep riding! Just my $.02
This is your answer Mike. Only the top few are really making money, and the majority are not living a mid-long term sustainable lifestyle.

And please don't take it as me being a jerk, I'm just being real, but you'll likely not make it Pro. Most of the pros are your age, and have been riding competitively for years. If you are to make it, you most likely need to start making a name for yourself locally, you don't just move to Florida and become a Pro, and it you're automatically a smaller fish in a much larger pond. That is why you should view wakeboarding as a hobby and passion, and not a type of future employment. If you haven't already ridden cable, I suggest you visit a cable park and see how progressive the youth of today is riding. Follow your passion, but with a realistic view.
Old     (wakehero21)      Join Date: Aug 2014       03-19-2015, 4:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
This is your answer Mike. Only the top few are really making money, and the majority are not living a mid-long term sustainable lifestyle.

And please don't take it as me being a jerk, I'm just being real, but you'll likely not make it Pro. Most of the pros are your age, and have been riding competitively for years. If you are to make it, you most likely need to start making a name for yourself locally, you don't just move to Florida and become a Pro, and it you're automatically a smaller fish in a much larger pond. That is why you should view wakeboarding as a hobby and passion, and not a type of future employment. If you haven't already ridden cable, I suggest you visit a cable park and see how progressive the youth of today is riding. Follow your passion, but with a realistic view.
very very true, as hard as it may be to hear. Trust me, I would love to go pro in wakeboarding, but its just not realistic. go to college, get a degree and get a well paying job that you will enjoy and will allow you to continue to wakeboard.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-19-2015, 4:54 PM Reply   
Mike I agree with Adub, better to secure a good career where you can afford this expensive hobby. I don't know for fact, but if I were to guess you have only a handful of guys making really good money at this. You have to have your name on a lot of gear and getting royalties for that and/or be winning every event and lots of sponsors paying something beyond product.

My guess is that a few at any given time (say five guys or so) are making really good money $200k plus, maybe another 10 or so break 100k, but I think the overwhelming majority are just getting by and enjoying the lifestyle.

An engineer in the first year of his career probably ears more than 85% of pro wakeboarders and has health insurance to boot.

I'm not saying don't give it a go, cause while your young is the time to try, just don't give up on getting a good education and plan your career path. If you have to take a professional internship over a summer where you'd rather be wakeboarding, do it because it will pay off later.

All that said, both Keith Lyman and Ben Greenwood moved to Fla and did exactly what you're talking about. Those examples are rare though, anymore I think the crop of young pros come from families with lots of $$$ already who can afford the boats, coaching, travel to contest and entry fee, etc... Boat riding is a rich kids game and tough to break in. Cable might be an easier path.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-19-2015, 4:59 PM Reply   
I do remember an article in WBM, like way way back (late 90s maybe) that asked a few pros what their best and worst year's earnings at wakeboarding were. The numbers and names that I remember were Darin Shapiro saying $500k was his best ever year and Collin Wright saying $50k.

I rode with a pro at a demo day once (pretty well known name, but not a comp rider) who basically said its all about lifestyle. Had 1-2 sponsors cutting a check but mostly free gear / free clothes / free travel, etc....
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-19-2015, 5:44 PM Reply   
How does one become " a pro" is there some level of wins to get a pro license? is there a actual license or just results from local events until someone gives you money? At the boat shows a lot of the riders that are there are very young or getting paid pocket change to be there. I have to wonder if the direction of the organization (if there is an organization , like NFL etc etc) wants to keep it that way.

I would have to guess most pro wake boarders have a steady job outside of boarding. The master craft guys at the Atlanta boat show say most of the younger guys come with there parents, and most that go to competitions are with there parents. I have no idea, but i would think by the time you are 30, you would be moving toward a different career. I don't see it lasting as a full time job, and with young kids getting into it, getting little money to do it and the parents involved, the industry could keep hundreds of there young riders doing schools, going to shows, etc etc and put out little money.

The BMX environment seems very similar, not a lot of money and most are very young.

I would look at skiing and see how well that pays, and how large the "Pro environment is" and see if they can survive on skiing professionally
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-20-2015, 7:05 AM Reply   
Personally I thought it was a bad idea when the licensing board for professional wake boarding was established. I spent a great deal of time working to complete my application materials, which was arduous given that I had opted to neglect my education and therefore don't reed or right very well. But I was driven by passion and got it done. Then I studied my butt off for the comprehensive examination, it took a lot of effort but finally I was able to pass both the written and oral sections of the pro wake boarding licensing exam. I thought I was good to go but then flunked the on-water performance assessment. Such a let down especially since I already had paid all the licensing fees. There goes my dream straight to Davey Jones' locker. Then I see these kids who repeatedly are observed violating the pro wake boarding code of ethics, but the licensing board seems willing to look the other way simply because they got mad steez and/or can do a bunch of flippy spinny things. So arbitrary and unfair. Total racket!
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       03-20-2015, 7:19 AM Reply   
Lol!^
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-20-2015, 7:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougr View Post
How does one become " a pro" is there some level of wins to get a pro license? is there a actual license or just results from local events until someone gives you money? At the boat shows a lot of the riders that are there are very young or getting paid pocket change to be there. I have to wonder if the direction of the organization (if there is an organization , like NFL etc etc) wants to keep it that way.

I would have to guess most pro wake boarders have a steady job outside of boarding. The master craft guys at the Atlanta boat show say most of the younger guys come with there parents, and most that go to competitions are with there parents. I have no idea, but i would think by the time you are 30, you would be moving toward a different career. I don't see it lasting as a full time job, and with young kids getting into it, getting little money to do it and the parents involved, the industry could keep hundreds of there young riders doing schools, going to shows, etc etc and put out little money.

The BMX environment seems very similar, not a lot of money and most are very young.

I would look at skiing and see how well that pays, and how large the "Pro environment is" and see if they can survive on skiing professionally
WWA has the "Pro Card" process, http://wwaprocard.com/about-the-malibu-wwa-pro-card/

All top 15 riders from the previous year auto-renew their pro card, then you can qualify at one of the 6 pro-card qualifiers.

Other than that, I still think you can vaguely consider yourself a pro wakeboarder if you have major sponsorship and wakeboard for a living. For example, I don't see Randle Harris in the WWA Rankings as a pro rider (http://wwaprocard.com/wwa-wakeboard-world-rankings-2/), but obviously he is considered a professional. Don't recall seeing Adam Fields either.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-20-2015, 7:32 AM Reply   
Mike , how good are you now? you have to be insanely good just to get noticed, especially on boat wakes.. I didn't see anywhere where you listed why you might make a good pro, so what is your trick list now?

not being a db, im just curious..
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-20-2015, 12:12 PM Reply   
There are a ton of talented riders that choose not to compete on the pro tour. Randall being the prime example above. Guys like Mikacich, Murray, Schwene and Fields, also mentioned above, own wake camps and choose wakeboarding as a career and lifestyle. Out of the top 40 ranked riders on the Pro Tour I would venture to say that less than 10 of them make $100k annually or more. The top 5 guys maybe $200-$250k. The glory days of $300k+ are over. Most riders scrap by with sponsors covering travel, entry fees, product and small salaries to keep them riding. Most importantly at 28 your career is pretty much over.

I've dedicated the last 15 years promoting and participating in an industry filled with amazing people. But the sad fact is that most athletes struggle with what they are going to do to keep riding. Most have side gigs and/or are selling products for their sponsors. You can't go wrong with a college degree. A degree will ensure you can keep riding.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       03-20-2015, 12:22 PM Reply   
Or you can save that $ and go get in a skilled labor union and start making $$ at the same time being a man! Learn how to build and fix ****.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-21-2015, 9:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheadd View Post
Or you can save that $ and go get in a skilled labor union and start making $$ at the same time being a man! Learn how to build and fix ****.
Or you can make 80k your First year out of college. Become an Engineer. There is engineering and then there is Everything else!
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       03-21-2015, 10:03 AM Reply   
4 years of debt for 80k?waste of time imo
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-21-2015, 10:55 AM Reply   
I wonder what the average income is for a person on WW. If you think about it, most boats are really expensive, so the average guy must make a lot more than 90% of the jobs in the market place. My guess is 150k a yr average. and probably 25% over 250k . So just about anyone buying 100k plus boats, needs a pretty good income to qualify. just my guess
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       03-21-2015, 11:00 AM Reply   
That is a interesting q. On the what you do for a living it seemed a lot of middle class guys were posting. But depends on your definition of middle class is. Here in the Bay Area middle class is 150k per house hold. Too 190k in San Jose.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-21-2015, 1:14 PM Reply   
It is very possible to become a paid rider at a late age. It's not about winning the pro tour or being the best rider that exists. If you market yourself right through social media and can create halfway decent video content consistently, your name will grow and it will grow quickly. If you can show sponsors that you can reach out to a large audience and promote their product in a positive manner, then there should be no problem becoming a pro rider in two to three years.

Becoming pro is not unrealistic. Sure making 300k a year from riding is unlikely, but it's not impossible. And its not about making bank anyway, its about getting by doing something you actually like doing.

Getting a degree is definitely a good idea incase things don't work out, but seriously you can do whatever you put your mind to, so don't let anyone on here steer you away from trying to make a career in wakeboarding.
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-21-2015, 3:48 PM Reply   
What is missing in your life that makes you want to be a pro wakeboarder?

Surely its not for the money, because there are more profitable careers.

Surely its not for the girls, because you will get more girls with a more profitable career.

Surely its not to travel the world, because you could see the world faster and with more luxury if you spent all your gas money on traveling instead of riding.

Surely its not to impress people, because the people who really matter won't care if you can land a 12.

Surely its not to live in a hot climate and ride cable everyday, because you could go live at CWC without becoming "pro".

The industry sells products by making people want to go pro. The magazines glorify these athletes with ads and articles, but "pro's" are just like anybody else. Off the water they have money issues, girl problems, family troubles, and not a lot of job security.

How good do you need to be at wakeboarding before you feel good about who you already are?
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-21-2015, 5:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
4 years of debt for 80k?waste of time imo
Red, you don't know much about engineering, the students are making $20 an hour at internships throughout their summers and can graduate with ZERO debt, like I said, there is engineering and then there is everything else!
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-22-2015, 7:39 AM Reply   
The reason i questioned the income average, is most riders who are very good, young and ride a lot, usually have a parent with excellent income to cover the costs to play. If you take away the person creating the opportunity, based on income, there would not be the opportunity. So, i find it strange that someone would want a career that would limit, if not eliminate there ability to have the same level of opportunity for there future, children, family, etc etc

Get the degree, play with the PRO thing for fun, then get a job that will allow you to give your kids the same opportunity.
Old     (conrmic)      Join Date: Jan 2015       03-23-2015, 1:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarslayer View Post
It is very possible to become a paid rider at a late age. It's not about winning the pro tour or being the best rider that exists. If you market yourself right through social media and can create halfway decent video content consistently, your name will grow and it will grow quickly. If you can show sponsors that you can reach out to a large audience and promote their product in a positive manner, then there should be no problem becoming a pro rider in two to three years.

Becoming pro is not unrealistic. Sure making 300k a year from riding is unlikely, but it's not impossible. And its not about making bank anyway, its about getting by doing something you actually like doing.

Getting a degree is definitely a good idea incase things don't work out, but seriously you can do whatever you put your mind to, so don't let anyone on here steer you away from trying to make a career in wakeboarding.
Thank you for all your help. I tried private messaging you but it didn't work. (I'm kind of new to this site so not sure how it all works) But your feedback and ideas helped very much and I appreciate all of your thoughts and positivity.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       03-23-2015, 5:12 PM Reply   
I don't know the wake industry super well, but I've been in the snowboard industry for the past 12 years. I've seen friends grow from regional rep riders to some of the top name pros out there. Other friend are the TMs putting these guys on. For those that succeed it is only partially due to talent. The bigger factors are hard work and unique marketability.

I think the suggestions on here to move to TX are worth considering. When I look at the state of the wake industry, I think that is where the scene is at. You have amazing boat riding and major players in the cable world (shredtown for ex). That kind of innovation offers unique marketability etc. I think you're idea of moving, waiting a year for school and gaining in state tuition is a huge win as well.

As for school, I personally think going at 18 is overrated, unless you know exactly what you want to do. Don't waste your time getting a degree just to have one. Wait till you're determined on a path. Otherwise, you might waste your potential of doing something you love and in the meantime rack up debt in a degree you might not even use. Then you'll have to go back to school or learn a trade anyway. That said, also remember to be mindful. Stay in great shape, ride a ton, don't party yourself stupid, and wrap it up.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-24-2015, 1:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Normally I just shake my head at most of your posts, because they always seem to be slamming wakesurfing. However, this is one post I can definitely agree with and get behind.
Even if it's not in a union, getting a skill, that you are good at, that has higher pay/demand is definitely a good option to go, especially nowadays with the ridiculous cost of a 4 year school.
For those kind of jobs, it's good to get in young and you will earn enough while you're a young single guy and when/if you get to having a family, you will be at a point you are making enough for that as well.

I'm in a non-union position, but also a skilled laborer. I may not be making six figures, but I do well to get by why my wife stays at home with our kids. Our only debt being our mortgage, no car payments, student loans, credit card debt, etc.
I don't have my own boat, a large reason is due to lack of place to put one where I live. I do have friends with boats that get me out on the water just about as much as I could want. Some of which are in skilled labor union jobs, others with jobs they got their degrees for. There is more than one path, but learning a good skill and getting into a trade (electrical, carpentry, steamfitting,etc) is an option that shouldn't be overlooked.
Old     (xmcmillenx)      Join Date: May 2006       03-24-2015, 2:02 PM Reply   
you should just learn a couple shuvs on a wakesurf and start competing, make more money than all the wakeboarders. the only issue is you have to admit you want a career as a wakesurfer
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       03-24-2015, 2:34 PM Reply   
And we make 6 figures or I guess you could be a engineer evidently those guys got it made.
Old     (conrmic)      Join Date: Jan 2015       03-25-2015, 5:10 PM Reply   
I wasn't planning on becoming rich while wakeboarding. I know the chances of me becoming pro are slim to none but my goal is just to make money doing something I love. I know I can't try to become pro when I'm 30 so why not give it a shot now. I can always go to school or find a trait or whatever if this doesn't work out
However, Texas sounds like a great place to start this and something I definitely need to look into. Any more thoughts or ideas about Texas or other places?
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       03-26-2015, 7:19 AM Reply   
As long as you got gas money and top ramen live it!
Old     (kmehrkens)      Join Date: Sep 2010       04-25-2015, 9:59 PM Reply   
Nobody can really tell you what to do, but as a neighbor from Minnesota, I say enjoy some time in a nice place where wakeboarding is nearly year-round while you can. Chances of that happening after college (or any kind of school) before entering the workforce are limited. You can get a job there (or even work at a cable park), make a little money, support your lifestyle, and have a blast wakeboarding. If you get good enough, you'll be making progress towards your dream. Then when you decide to go to school or learn a trade, you can at least say you did it. I did something similar but didn't intend to go pro. I wanted to learn about cableparks and worked at one. Wakeskated everyday and loved it! If you do it, enjoy every second because you may never get the chance again.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-27-2015, 6:56 AM Reply   
I had a similar plan, and am also from Wisconsin -- here is how things went for me -

Graduated high school and started college in 06'... planned on transferring down to a community college while I established residency, then ultimately transfer to UCF. So my second year of school at UW-Stout I managed to get a full credit load (13) of online classes to fulfill some general requirements. So with that I was able to go to Florida as a full-time student in WI. I mainly did this so I could stay on my mom's insurance (before the law changed to 26 with or without school).

My buddy who owns his own business (seasonal so he has winters off) came with me and we brought our boat. Moved to Winter Haven, FL and I lived the dream for like 8 months. First thing I did was get some bills in my name, a Florida ID, and registered to vote to start getting residency. Then started applying to UCF and USF. Icing on the cake, out of state tuition at either school was CHEAPER than my Wisconsin in-state. Well, long story short, I blew out an ankle, twice.... and that pretty much killed things off for me. Making friends wasn't too hard since we had a boat ... but WakeWorld is a great tool to meet other riders and get yourself into a new area as long as you're good for gas and not an *******.

I did come back the following year to try again, this time without my buddy but was able to stay at Will Christien's place, so I still had boat access and was around enough talent to get myself better.... but again, hurt, and ultimately I'm just not good enough to make it wakeboarding.

Went back to Wisconsin, finished my degree(s) - Manufacturing and Electrical Engineering .... I'm 27 now and make a good enough living to have a lake house, boat, and cover the other expenses that go with the money-pit that wakeboarding is.

My advice would be this:

Don't do what you love .... because it probably isn't sustainable (wakeboarding especially). Do what you're good at (and don't hate doing), that also is employable. Do the daily grind to finance what you love to do.

...example, maybe you love French art.... don't major in that ****. Go to school and major in something that will get a job that allows you the financial freedom to go to France XXX times a year to enjoy that love. Same goes for wakeboarding. I really loved it, and I really tried to make things work, but in the end it just wasn't realistic. Don't risk your future for a few years of fun.

** Disclaimer - If you've got a nice trust fund and parents willing to financially back things --- go crazy.

Last edited by sidekicknicholas; 04-27-2015 at 7:02 AM.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-27-2015, 7:39 PM Reply   
I raced WERA, AMA superstock and grew up motox racing, i was never anybody, but had a few moments where i believed i would make it as a career. I went to college, the entire time, now i am 40 yrs old, a regional sales manager for a radiology company and totally love it. Love my job, my family and love being able to hang on the boat at my home and enjoy the things that mean the most, my friends and family. I can only imaging making it (even though i had a pro license) but i wouldn't be doing it now, no matter how much money, and would still have to do something else. you can make the best of both if you keep your head straight and build a future for yourself. you never know how you will land, but you will LAND. try to land on your own too feet and not someone else's. lol good luck
Old     (scottbaker44)      Join Date: Mar 2014       04-29-2015, 6:40 AM Reply   
Go to school in Texas, market yourself the right way like JB recommends and see where that takes you. Lake Austin has really become the lake to get noticed lately. Plus all the cable parks near by make riding extremely easy. Become an engineer and buy a new boat like I did right out of school