Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (twdugas)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-02-2014, 11:18 AM Reply   
Hey I need to lower my tandem trailer a couple of inches to get the tower to clear my garage door. I've researched several ways to do this already but wanted to know your thoughts on replacing the triangilar equalizer rocker that connects the two leaf springs together at the frame with a straight equalizer. This should give me 2-7/8" more clearance by lowering the trailer.

I cant upload photos from work so here is a link to see what Im talking about. http://www.pacifictrailers.com/equal...-leaf-springs/

Pros / Cons thoughts?

Low profile tires is an option. Cant adjust bunks on this trailer. Cant cut tower.

Last edited by twdugas; 09-02-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       09-02-2014, 11:40 AM Reply   
My question would be if you'd have enough clearance under your fender after that mod. Otherwise you'd potentially be raising fenders, and depending on the hull/trailer combo, you might not be able to.

Other options for additional clearance are deflating trailer tires a ways and using a hitch with a larger drop for going into/out of the garage, then switching to the correct drop for towing.
Old     (twdugas)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-02-2014, 12:06 PM Reply   
Thanks Tom for your input. Good point on the fenders. It doesnt appear that fender clearance is going to be an issue unless I were to go wider tire / rim setup. Depending on wheel equalizer angle the spring shackles have in the pass bottomed out on trailer frame which kinda acts as a bump stop from the tires hitting the fenders. Im guessing rather large speed bumps is why I can see those impressions on the frame now. I've ordered an 8" adjustable drop hitch to try out once it arrives.

Anyone have experience with equalizer rocker mod?
Old     (mcdye)      Join Date: Apr 2009       09-02-2014, 4:26 PM Reply   
Just for getting in/out could you use a lower hitch?
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       09-03-2014, 3:51 AM Reply   
You may also have problems at some ramps with dragging the frame . I had to raise my trailer because it was too low.
Old     (twdugas)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-03-2014, 6:51 AM Reply   
C Once the adjustable drop hitch arrives Im going to give it a shot. My driveway already has a pretty good angle to it. Where I need the folded tower to clear the garage header is just slightly above the first set of trailer axles. Its going to be tight. I just need a couple of inches though.

The thing is when putting the boat up at the house I dont want go through a list of items (drop tower, adjust drop hitch, let air out of tires, put wheel stops in, unhook boat, slide jack under tongue, hook up wench, etc.) to clear the garage. I just want to be able to back it in with dropping the tower and possibly hitch which is why Im looking into the equalizer rocker mod. I'll get tired of doing a list or if it’s too late I'll leave the boat in the driveway with suv three quarters in the street. My house is dead center on a cul-de-sac so leaving the suv in the street is no big deal till morning. I'll just keep the storage unit I have for now but I just finished building this house, one of the garages is tandem for storing the boat and reducing my yearly $1,200 storage fees. I couldn't get the builder to raise the header more than 7' because of the community HOA. I've got 12' ceilings in the garage and had ductless AC's installed so that I could work on the boat and cars during the Texas heat.

Froggy You bring up a good point. I had a set of prop guard rollers installed on the trailer but had the welder beef it up to the frame a bit and each steel ball bearing caster is 1000 lbs. rating. I have literally had all four tires off the ground before on a gas station exit ramp. No scrapping, dragging or broken casters. Dont really want to do that again so I avoid that gas station now.

I'll order a set of straight equalizer rockers this weekend once I've measured for the proper set and install the following weekend. Once installed I'll report the findings for others who are looking to do something similar. Maybe a good set of air bags could connect the equalizer mount to the trailer frame.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-03-2014, 7:24 AM Reply   
I know you said the bunks can't be adjusted but, can you cut and shorten the bunk support risers or are the fenders not far enough apart?
Old     (steves1967)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-06-2014, 10:18 AM Reply   
Air down the tires to get it in, air them back up when you pull out. My neighbor does this with his small travel trailer.