Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ryandanchuk)      Join Date: Mar 2014       03-04-2014, 10:31 AM Reply   
Looking at picking up a 2009 Malibu LSV but from what the Seller is telling me it has the Indmar 5.7L Vortec Carbureted engine. I am a little confused why Malibu was still even putting a Carbed/non fuel injected engine in their 2009 boats?

Anyone have input on them? I used to have a carbed engine in a 2001 supra launch and it would starve for fuel sometimes when slammed for surfing. I currently have a 2006 VLX with the Monsoon and it has been a great engine. I was hoping to get a LSV with a bigger engine as my buddy just bought a 2008 LSV with the monsoon last summer and it won't get out of the water when slammed for wakeboarding (with a upgraded prop) but this boat is priced well and I close to my location.

Not too worried about the wakeboarding aspect of it as I am getting up there in age and feeling it everytime.... Mostly surfing these days.

Used to post a lot back in the day but had to create a new login so not a total newbie. I did a search and nothing.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-04-2014, 10:36 AM Reply   
I am betting the guy is wrong. I am 99% sure that a carb motor wasn't even offered in that boat in 09. Base would hae been the FI Monsoon.
Old     (ryandanchuk)      Join Date: Mar 2014       03-04-2014, 10:37 AM Reply   
Yeah, that is what I am hoping. Found it strange that they still would be offering it. I asked for a photo of the engine as I think he might have the wrong info.
Old     (ryandanchuk)      Join Date: Mar 2014       03-04-2014, 11:32 AM Reply   
I just got a photo of the engine. Looks like 8.1L Carbed Vortec. Anyone have any experience with these? Still don't understand malibu putting a carbed engine in but I know nothing about the plus/minus's...

Photo shows Vortec 8100 with a big air intake on the back.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-04-2014, 12:03 PM Reply   
can you post the picture on here? Seems weird. I wonder if the original engine went **** up and someone had a carbed 8.1 sitting around?
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-04-2014, 12:11 PM Reply   
You sure your not looking at the throttle body??
Old     (ryandanchuk)      Join Date: Mar 2014       03-04-2014, 12:28 PM Reply   
I just checked with my shop and he says its a 425 efi engine. How do I post a photo without it being on the web?
Old     (ryandanchuk)      Join Date: Mar 2014       03-04-2014, 1:05 PM Reply   
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-04-2014, 1:55 PM Reply   
That isn't a Carb motor. That is the vortec 8.1L FI motor. Those are beastly engines with torque for days but they have been known to burn oil.
Old     (ryandanchuk)      Join Date: Mar 2014       03-04-2014, 2:08 PM Reply   
Thanks. That is what I just heard from a friend. Seller was confused.

The only other issue I can find with the boat is the double captain chairs. Anyone ever do a conversion? New thread?
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-04-2014, 2:11 PM Reply   
Talk about trying to kill your self with Carbon Monoxide. Surfing with 8.1L Indmar never did the CAT on that motor. I would look for a different set up.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-04-2014, 4:53 PM Reply   
Just do a FAE, you'll be fine. With a big engine like that, it's gonna have the power to pull a boat that is seriously slammed.
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       03-04-2014, 5:07 PM Reply   
I'd hate to be the one paying the fuel bill on that thirsty monster...
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       03-04-2014, 9:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsupralaunch View Post
Talk about trying to kill your self with Carbon Monoxide. Surfing with 8.1L Indmar never did the CAT on that motor. I would look for a different set up.
Explain how this makes exponentially more CO than a carbed or efi small block with no cat??
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-05-2014, 5:33 AM Reply   
We never have any probs with death from carbon monoxide with my brothers LSV and it has the same motor.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-05-2014, 5:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandanchuk View Post
Thanks. That is what I just heard from a friend. Seller was confused.

The only other issue I can find with the boat is the double captain chairs. Anyone ever do a conversion? New thread?
Double captain's chairs means DOUBLE SUBS! Let the BOOOOOOM out!

kidding, but only sorta.

I think double captains chairs makes it a "weird" boat and one that 9 out of 10 buyers will pass on by, all things being equal. So you'll need to get a substantial discount from an equally equipped traditional wrapped seating boat that you can build in to your asking price when it's time for you to sell this unicorn.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-05-2014, 6:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
Explain how this makes exponentially more CO than a carbed or efi small block with no cat??
Here is my skin in this game. http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/ne.../52380487.html She was a beautiful little girl who's family like to wakesurf. She simply was sitting on the swim platform in between surf sets and playing in the water like little girls do. No charges were filed. This happened only 1 hour from my home.

Although I could calculate for you the decrease CO tonnage of a 5.7 over an 8.1L engine, in my mind, your question about how or why this motor makes more CO is mute. The right question to ask is "If I were buying a used boat today for my family, why in hell would I buy a boat without a CAT"
Old     (ryandanchuk)      Join Date: Mar 2014       03-05-2014, 9:56 AM Reply   
Not worried about the CO.

Anyone been in a LSV with the double captain chairs? Reason I am upgrading from a VLX is that my family and my friends families are getting exponentially larger. Need more room in the boat to hide the kids while we party. I know I am losing at least 2 seats but what the storage? Is there any in front of the captain chair?

The price and everything else is right on this one. It is a 2009 for $57k with low hours. In Canada it would be close to $70k.. Heard some bad things about the maliview that year as well.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-05-2014, 11:45 AM Reply   
If it helps, Ill take the extra captains chair off your hands.