Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (mim3)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-21-2012, 11:20 AM Reply   
Anyone been out on the MXZ? Wake, surf, ride......?

Thanks!
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-21-2012, 10:37 PM Reply   
Check out this video...

from Ioda Media on Vimeo.

Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-22-2012, 5:34 AM Reply   
Adam McCall has an MXZ as his demo right now. He seems to be extremely pleased with the boat and the wake, and considering the fact that Adam's last boat was an A22, that's saying something.

It is my understanding that the MXZ wake is a bit steeper than the VLX, which is very rampy. I have heard that the boat surfs very well. There's no doubt that it is extremely nice on the inside, and has tons of cool gadgets incorporated into it. Adam's has the CTSV motor, so it certainly does not lack for power.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-22-2012, 7:52 AM Reply   
Chatt,

I have heard the same description of the MXZ vs. VLX wake. In fact, they mention it in that video done by Active Water Sports.

But then I see pictures like this from Wakeboarding magazine. They did an article where they compared the two boats in detail. Oddly enough, they found the two boats to be identical in interior sqaure footage and snapped the following pics of the wakes (making it look like the VLX had the "peakier" wake). All I can think is that perhaps they had the wedge in different positions???

Here's the article in case anybody is interested: http://wakeboardingmag.com/features/...2-mxz-and-vlx/

Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-22-2012, 8:13 AM Reply   
I never like the pictures that wakeboardingmag prints of the wakes. Its always that odd low angle and you never really see a wake from that angle. It's a little hard to make sense of what you are seeing. I rather see it higher up and more zoomed out, or from the boat.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-22-2012, 8:23 AM Reply   
Yea, looks like the mxz pic is a bit closer too. which would leave out the lip right before the white wash.
Old     (pureblue)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-22-2012, 8:28 AM Reply   
I thought the MXZ had the same hull as the vlx below the water line, they just made it into a pickle fork version. Is this true, or is it a completely reworked hull?
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-22-2012, 8:45 AM Reply   
New hull.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-22-2012, 10:13 AM Reply   
I would love to ride behind this boat some time.

for the West Coast Wakesurf Open we have invited all the boat manufacturers to come (for free) to participate in our wakesurf boat demo, so people can check out boats on the water back to back and surf behind them all. We have all the major brands lined up except Malibu. We would love to have them there, but they dont seem interested in to coming out and putting their boat up against the others. As a Malibu owner I was hoping to see them out there, but maybe if they see enough people want to have them there they will come.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-22-2012, 11:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
New hull.
Just curious who you heard this from, because my dealer said the exact opposite. And if you go on the Malibu website, it says both boats have the V25 wakehull. My dealer said the only difference is the MXZ has 3" more draft, and another 9" in length and weighs in about 400 lbs heavier.
Old     (nautiboy614)      Join Date: Dec 2010       03-22-2012, 11:12 AM Reply   
I went to the Malibu factory last month and test drove and rode behind one. No complaints about the size of the wake as it was big! The wedge really worked well for shaping the wake for the rider....vert or mellow. You do lose a lot of visibility with the pickle fork blocking your view. It turned like a tank but I am use to Nautiques.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-22-2012, 11:39 AM Reply   
Different Hull does not equal different wetted surface. Of coarse the Hull is different. It has a pickle fork. I have no actual knowledge of this this boats hull but I would not at all be surprised if they have the exact same wetted surface but the MKZ hull is 6 inches longer or whatever because of the picklefork. Does Malibu still use the stupid bow ballast that takes up the entire bow storage area? If so they need to figure out something else.
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       03-22-2012, 4:40 PM Reply   
die hard bu fan here, but dangg malibu needs to leave the pickle to master craft, ugliest malibu I've ever seen.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-28-2012, 10:56 AM Reply   
The MXZ is a new hull, a combo of the VLX (rear) and 23 (entry).
Old     (Brett_B)      Join Date: Sep 2010       03-28-2012, 12:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Different Hull does not equal different wetted surface. Of coarse the Hull is different. It has a pickle fork. I have no actual knowledge of this this boats hull but I would not at all be surprised if they have the exact same wetted surface but the MKZ hull is 6 inches longer or whatever because of the picklefork. Does Malibu still use the stupid bow ballast that takes up the entire bow storage area? If so they need to figure out something else.
The bow ballast is an option, don't get it if you don't want it.

The wetted surface on the MXZ is not the same as the VLX or LSV. Of course it has a similar shape, it's still a Malibu. But it's certainly not the same hull with a few more inches just slapped on the nose.

Specs: LSV MXZ VLX
Length: 23' 22'3" 21"6"
Beam: 102" 102" 100"
Draft: 27" 27" 24"
Weight: 3900 4000 3550
Fuel: 56gal 50gal 48gal

Everything below the rub rail is the hull mold, you can see the differences pretty easily.

VLX:

MXZ:

LSV:
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-28-2012, 12:29 PM Reply   
I am not sure I see any difference in the wetted surface of those 3 boats although just looking at the transom isn't really telling us much. I was just pointing out that having a different hull doesn't necessarily mean that the wetted surface is different. They could design the wetted surface exactly the same but change stuff above the water line. From what people are posting though it sounds like it actually is a different wetted surface although very similar to their others. I have a hard time believing this boat is really much better or worse then the VLX or LSV at surfing or boarding just because they are so similar. Same for the Axis. It has a very, very similar wetted surface as these 3 boats. Can't fault them for it though because by all accounts it is a great performing hull. It drives well, wakeboards well and surfs pretty decent. I think the point one of the other posters was trying to make was why spend an extra 15 or 20k(I actually have no idea the price difference but have heard around 100k fo ran MKZ and believe VLX's and LSV's are in the 80-90k range) on an MKZ if the VLX has basically the same interior room, storage and a very, very similar wake with the same weight? The only noticeable advantage to the MKZ is the picklefork look.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-30-2012, 12:29 AM Reply   
MKZ...?

Are we talking 'bout Malibus or Lincoln's...?

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-30-2012, 1:34 PM Reply   
We'll have a solid review soon. Our new MXZ just arrived in California and is currently being fitted for a trailer. We also have the LS3 motor which is supposed to be a beast.

I've heard that the wake is steeper than than the VLX and LSV. And we were told by Malibu that this is a new hull. It's a blend of the VLX and LSV hulls, but definitely a new mold.

More soon.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-30-2012, 3:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
We'll have a solid review soon. Our new MXZ just arrived in California and is currently being fitted for a trailer. We also have the LS3 motor which is supposed to be a beast.

I've heard that the wake is steeper than than the VLX and LSV. And we were told by Malibu that this is a new hull. It's a blend of the VLX and LSV hulls, but definitely a new mold.

More soon.
Yes a new hull (mold), as I posted above, more specifically a VLX (rear) and LSV (entry).