Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-03-2011, 1:12 PM Reply   
So we take the boat out for the first time yesterday. It ran just fine for about 20 minutes & then started to act like it was stalling, or gasping for fuel. The fuel gauge is bouncing anywhere from 1/4 to full (it was at least 3/4 at the time). Mechanic thinks it's the fuel filter & that there may be some junk in it from the manufacturer. Sound right? He's sending me a new filter to try it out, but I was hoping someone else might be able to confirm his suspicions. (2011 Tige 24Ve)
Old     (ridealready)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-03-2011, 2:08 PM Reply   
I would agree and say either fuel filter or bad fuel pump. Those things can happen if it has been sitting for a while. Was it on the lot for a while?
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-03-2011, 3:01 PM Reply   
Not sure on when the '11's usually start getting put on the lots. I assume about the same as cars, around Sept/Nov? We picked it out in Feb at the boat show & was told that it had already been winterized. My first guess was fuel pump also, but they said that if that were the case then it wouldn't run at all.
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-04-2011, 9:31 PM Reply   
Not sure if your boat has one or not but do you have a safety lanyard? On my malibu it looked like it was on good but it wasn't. Easy fix if that is it.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-05-2011, 4:06 PM Reply   
yes I have a safety lanyard, which is connected. W/ the safety switch tripped, a boat shouldn't run at all. The boat runs, just not good at all. I got the fuel filter in the mail today, so I can put in in the boat this weekend, weather permitting.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       04-05-2011, 6:16 PM Reply   
What about water in the fuel from condensation in the tank? I'd proceed with the fuel filter change an if it still does it take a decent sized sample at the fuel rail in a clear container. Let it sit and look for what looks like bubbles of a foreign fluid in the bottom of the container. If you have water in there you could put those bottles of alcohol in there (IIRC it's just isopropyl/rubbing?) to "remove" the water (Really it just blends with it and makes it more combustible) or you could completely drain the tank and refill.

If you have to drain the tank and refill you can reuse the gas by siphoning/pumping it off the top of the container that you're putting it in. So, suck the tank dry, then let the containers sit. Take your hose from your pump and just put it far enough into the container to start getting liquid. "Follow" the level down until you've got a 1/2 gallon or so left then dispose of the remainder.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       04-05-2011, 6:21 PM Reply   
I was just rethinking my suggestion to reuse the gas and even at today's prices it's probably not worth the risk, with a 2011 boat, of potentially having bad fuel and the water being a "red herring". You could drain it and save the gas then just use small amounts at a time in the cars and boat until it's gone. Or if you have a friend with a "beater" car give it to them with instructions not to use more than a few gallons per fillup and cut it with fresh gas.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-06-2011, 5:52 AM Reply   
Ok. I'm just going to throw this out there. There was a certain manufacturer that, for two years, had some serious problems with their fuel pumps failing on their PCM engines within hours of new boats being operated. I was told several different stories about why this was the case. Some speculated that it was the pumps themselves, some said it was due to the fact that the factory was water testing the boats with very little gas in them and shipping the boats dang near empty, and that if they were fired up without adding gas first at the dealer, it caused the pump to fail, some said it was an electrical issue. Who knows. My suggestion is that you get the fuel pump tested. I bet that is your problem.
Old     (sordave)      Join Date: May 2002       04-06-2011, 6:37 AM Reply   
A 2011 boat with 4 hours on it? I say take it to the dealer you bought it from and have them fix it.
Old     (geterdone)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-06-2011, 10:01 AM Reply   
Low pressure fuel pump. PCM has a new low pressure fuel pump out tell your dealer.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-06-2011, 6:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sordave View Post
A 2011 boat with 4 hours on it? I say take it to the dealer you bought it from and have them fix it.
I just figured that instead of driving a couple hours one way to have them fix it, I would try their suggestion and change out the fuel filter (at their cost) and see if that fixes it first. If that doesn't work, we'll go from there. They also said it ran fine for them when they were doing the test run a couple months ago. I'll be working on it Friday afternoon, weather pending, and will know at that time.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-06-2011, 6:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
Ok. I'm just going to throw this out there. There was a certain manufacturer that, for two years, had some serious problems with their fuel pumps failing on their PCM engines within hours of new boats being operated. I was told several different stories about why this was the case. Some speculated that it was the pumps themselves, some said it was due to the fact that the factory was water testing the boats with very little gas in them and shipping the boats dang near empty, and that if they were fired up without adding gas first at the dealer, it caused the pump to fail, some said it was an electrical issue. Who knows. My suggestion is that you get the fuel pump tested. I bet that is your problem.
One thing that was mentioned in our conversations is that if the fuel pump was indeed the issue, it wouldn't run at all. The motor will still run and we can still drive it right now, but it runs rough, almost like running out of fuel or like it's firing wrong. Does that sound like something right with the fuel pump? Honestly, the fuel pump was my first guess also until they told me that.
Old    mojo            04-06-2011, 6:59 PM Reply   
PCM has a low and high pressure fuel pump. I don't trust dealers. My mc dealer who inourchased new from lied and screwed me. After their tech left who used to work on my boat I noticed a quality of work change. I paid off my tab, had them run it bc I was moving and wanted it ready. They tell me they ran it and bla blah. I get to my new location and take cover off to find throttle totally disconnected. Then treated horribly by dealer. Anyways, I'm just saying that don't take their word for it. I'd personally require them to come to my boat and bring testing stuff and tools if I just purchased a boat and it barely works.
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-06-2011, 7:48 PM Reply   
Could be pump and certainly worth changing fuel filter. But I am guessing bad gas. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Old     (jstiii)      Join Date: Dec 2008       04-07-2011, 5:37 AM Reply   
Jory, I work for PCM, and I apologize for your troubles. I do agree with the dealer, it does sound like a blocked fuel filter. I will PM you my email address and please let me know how everything goes once the new filter is installed. I will help in any way that I can. Thanks
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-07-2011, 5:40 AM Reply   
Bad fuel or a bad fuel filter sounds about right. Other than changing a filter or putting some fuel treatment in the tank, I'd be putting this on the dealer (that is unless the dealer is far away). Another thing that I haven't heard from anyone is the fuel pressure regulator. My Merc MPI has a pressure regulator on the top of the fuel pump. I replaced that a few years ago. Those parts are expensive, so I'd start with the fuel.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-07-2011, 2:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstiii View Post
Jory, I work for PCM, and I apologize for your troubles. I do agree with the dealer, it does sound like a blocked fuel filter. I will PM you my email address and please let me know how everything goes once the new filter is installed. I will help in any way that I can. Thanks
I got your message on Facebook. Thanks for checking in with me. I'll let ya know how everything turns out after this weekend.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-07-2011, 2:52 PM Reply   
Thanks for all of the responses. This thread got WAY more responses than I was expecting, some of which went negative much too fast in my opinion. Must have some bad experiences with your mechanics by the sounds of it. Luckily I don't foresee that being an issue at any point.

Consensus seems to be either the fuel filter or water in the fuel, with the potential for the fuel pump or the newly mentioned pressure regulator. Pretty much what I was expecting.

On Friday evening I'll change out the fuel filter and check for water in the fuel, draining fuel or adding Heet if I find much of any water but I'm not expecting to find any since everyone else's cars & boats were running fine. Assuming that goes well, I'll top off the tank and go for a ride in the morning & keep my fingers, toes, legs, and arms crossed for good luck. I may even wear my lucky shorts for safe measure.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-10-2011, 2:53 PM Reply   
Got the fuel filter changed out Friday night & that seems to have fixed the problem. It was plugged up w/ some pieces of plastic. I wish I had seen the prop shaft that holds the floor in the air BEFORE I had almost got the filter changed. It would have saved me about 15 minutes and quite a few scratches 8/ Oh well. All is well now.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-10-2011, 3:47 PM Reply   
Glad you got it fixed.Looks like the guys and gals at wakeworld came to the rescue again.