Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       09-11-2020, 6:30 AM Reply   
I spoke with a marine audio installer friend a while back and he had stated that most factory amps/speakers that come with boats are detuned or dialed back a bit so your not getting the full power. He said its to protect the equipment from the user of course and cant be dialed up. As I'm looking into a new boat purchase I wonder what would be the better option to buy everything installed from the factory or build my own with generally the same equipment?

For example, I'm looking at the ZS 232 that has an option for 2-12s, 4 rev 10's and 6 8" interiors (not sure what amps). Does anybody have direct experience with this and how much of a difference is does it make?
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       09-11-2020, 7:00 AM Reply   
I had that exact boat last year with the 4 REV 10s and the 8" interiors and the stereo was pretty legit. Had the 2 subs as well. I'm sure it could have been tuned to get more out of it though, but you'd want to check to see if it voids the warranty.
Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       09-12-2020, 4:56 AM Reply   
Thats good to know. From my understanding, there's little adjustments that can be made with the factory amps to get more out of the systems. It sounds like most of the adjustments are factory set and mostly locked. The smps may have the same adjustments as aftermarket but the adjustments are muted Ive heard.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-13-2020, 3:36 AM Reply   
find out what the amps are and call the company, they will be able to tell you if they are locked and cannot be adjusted.
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       09-20-2020, 1:43 AM Reply   
i think the easiest route is to get the factory system and conveniently mount tge non dsp version of same amp in same exact spot
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       09-23-2020, 5:44 AM Reply   
the amp will have dsp in the model number i think
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-28-2020, 6:43 AM Reply   
I ordered the last boat stereo delete and will do the same on the next one. I prefer the old school way of having the stereo hooked up independently of the boats computers. This helps minimize the chance of engine noise being heard in the speakers as well as being able to maintain control of the stereo in the even that the computer screen(s) fail. I also don't like the lack of control provided with the factory installation such as zone, sub, highs and lows. I don't know about your ZS but the Malibu factory system has very large training wheels on them.
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       10-05-2020, 11:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidarider View Post
I ordered the last boat stereo delete and will do the same on the next one. I prefer the old school way of having the stereo hooked up independently of the boats computers. This helps minimize the chance of engine noise being heard in the speakers as well as being able to maintain control of the stereo in the even that the computer screen(s) fail. I also don't like the lack of control provided with the factory installation such as zone, sub, highs and lows. I don't know about your ZS but the Malibu factory system has very large training wheels on them.
i have an independent totally remote power and ground system including the acc switch used for system power. i also made sure the RCA’s were not near the WS controller as they can cause noise on speakers with lights. i have zero noise of any kind