Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 03, 2009

Old     (spinner_x)      Join Date: Jun 2008       03-25-2009, 11:22 AM Reply   
Me and a couple of my buddies were looking into getting a big group of people to rent a house boat this summer.

We would be coming from Michigan and I would just like some input on some places that aren't more than 12 hours driving distance. So probably something in the Tennessee, Kentucky area.

A buddy of mine rented a houseboat on Dale Hollow last year but he didn't pay attention to boat traffic or anything.
Old     (cool232)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-25-2009, 12:43 PM Reply   
IT would be worth your drive to come to Dale Hollow I guarantee it.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-25-2009, 12:49 PM Reply   
I would have to say Norris Lake for sure. You can always find smooth water, and the scenery is unbelievable. I would say the area around Flat Hollow Marina is going to have the best water, and the least amount of boat traffic.
Old     (spinner_x)      Join Date: Jun 2008       03-25-2009, 12:55 PM Reply   
Brad, I heard Dale Hollow was great. And I'm guessing by your response we would be able to find good water most of the time?
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-25-2009, 1:00 PM Reply   
Kentucky lake www.kentuckylakeonline.com
Old     (spinner_x)      Join Date: Jun 2008       03-25-2009, 1:04 PM Reply   
I looked at a couple on Kentucky lake. One of the places had some pretty good deals right now.

Does anyone have pictures of the lakes and what not?
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-25-2009, 1:11 PM Reply   
+1 for Dale Hollow. I love that place and its the cheapest for weekly houseboat rentals that i have found. You will have no issue of finding nice water. I have always went in august right when there schools go back in session and its is very nice during the week.
Old     (cool232)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-25-2009, 1:33 PM Reply   
Yes an the good water. the houseboats are cheap, and the water is nice. I would look into wolf river ther boats are usually 400-500 cheaper than the others. we houseboat there every year going on 10 years. I will say cumberland is nice and so is norris, but DH is deep and wide, which makes for great riding.
Old     (spinner_x)      Join Date: Jun 2008       03-25-2009, 1:39 PM Reply   
thanks a lot brad for the input, ill definitely look into that. you guys goin this summer? if you are let me know round when.
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-26-2009, 6:31 AM Reply   
Spencer P If you go to the web page they have shots of the lake. Give me a shout if you come this way. www.kentuckylakeonline.com. During the week you can run right down middle of the lake.
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-26-2009, 9:14 AM Reply   
lake cumberland is way better than dale hollow. i just got a deal at beaver creek for a 90 foot houseboat with a free ski boat (which we don't need) for 1,499 between may 11th-15th. I think that's a pretty killer deal.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-26-2009, 9:33 AM Reply   
I have been to Lake Cumberland houseboating a few times and Dales Hollow once (last year). Both are fantastic for houseboating and I don't know that I would give one the edge over the other.

This year we are renting a house on Norris Lake for the week as I haven't been there yet. Houseboating is fun, but for the money, I'd rather have a house to chill at, have some space, go for hikes/runs, etc, etc.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-26-2009, 9:49 AM Reply   
We rented a house boat in Ottawa IL one year for MidWest WakeFest... foget the name of the place but google Starved Rock or something like that..
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-26-2009, 11:47 AM Reply   
We have a condo at Norris and for glass it's much easier to find at Norris than Cumberland. Driving from the north some parts of Norris are within miles of I75. Neither can be said for Cumberland or Dale Hollow, both of these lakes have better choices for houseboats. Norris has floating houses at many marinas like www.flathollowmarina.com or like NAW stated you can get a house. You might want to check out www.norrislakeproperties.com the have condos (ours is rustic bay E) that sleep 9 up to homes that sleep 32.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       03-26-2009, 7:14 PM Reply   
Plenty of houses for rent on Norris as well as some houseboats. Norris has been our houseboat destination for the last 3-4yrs. Cumberland was before that. Tons of fond memories of Cumberland but prices and friends having houses on Norris pulled us away.

Maybe this picture will be a motivator. If you're going to park the houseboat, use it as a 'mothership', and run around on the wakeboats...build a floating bar!
Upload
Old     (cool232)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-27-2009, 5:48 AM Reply   
spencer, yes well be there, I think the third week in june and third week in july and usually every weekend.
Old     (cool232)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-27-2009, 5:51 AM Reply   
I forgot to mention, last year we went to norris, it was great, the house was awesome and the lake is huge, I think it just depends on your group, our crew is so used to camping houseboating is a natural fit.
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-27-2009, 12:40 PM Reply   
FYI One other thing that sometimes comes into play about Norris. The marinas carry beer incase you run out.
Old     (spinner_x)      Join Date: Jun 2008       03-27-2009, 3:37 PM Reply   
That's what we were thinking about doing it just setting up shop in a nice bay and then running around on the Tige and jet skis all day.

I found a good deal on a 67 footer yesterday on Dale Holllow so we might be doing that one mid-summer.
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-30-2009, 6:34 PM Reply   
Don't want to throw a monkey wrench in the works, but Bull Shoals on the border of Missouri and Ark. is my fave in the country if not the world. Just did a story in wakeboard mag last summer there.
Check out bullshoalslakeboatdock.com and tell Cindi Eastwold I sent ya. They are great there.
Old     (spinner_x)      Join Date: Jun 2008       03-30-2009, 7:49 PM Reply   
Missouri isn't too far, i'll definitely look into it. thanks shaun.