Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 03, 2009

Old     (bullcrow)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-01-2009, 12:23 PM Reply   
Just curious to know what everyone looks for in a wake camp when choosing which one to go to. I understand distance and season will always be a factor but what about the other factors that individualize the camp? Is a big named pro coaching necessary to get your attention?

Or better yet, besides a private lake full or rails what else would attract your attention?

Boat Company? Game Room? Freedom on property? Dirt Bike trails? Winch Park? 50 track?
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-01-2009, 12:29 PM Reply   
Starting a camp are we? We were on the way back from ATL Saturday and talked about how sick it would be if there was a cable park there.... hint hint... although they require more capital, cable parks are way cooler and more $profitable$ than camps ;)

In response to your question though... Rails and Freedom are an A+
Old     (wakeboardlf25)      Join Date: May 2007       06-01-2009, 12:41 PM Reply   
i have both attented camps and worked at camp as coach/driver. As far as coaching goes, yes a big named pro coach is going to get more interest from campers to come your way. but in reality about 85% of the campers that will come are in the beginner to maybe 1-2 invert and spin category, be sure the coach can relate to many different types of people and be able to explain tricks very well. So all you really need is a good coach that can ride fairly well and just knows how to do all the basic flips and spins. You need to give kids stuff to do while there not riding because there is alot of free time during the day. pool, ping-pong, paddle boats, trampoline, basketball, horseshoes, go karts, for just some examples. a good boat is def needed just for progression in general. This is just a few stuff i can think of when i was at camps. and also take the campers to some places at night or something. (somewhere special to eat, movies, malls...) Just keep them from being bored
Old     (bullcrow)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-01-2009, 12:51 PM Reply   
I worked at Koppert last year as a coach so I know what to expect as far as average skill level and keeping the campers entertained. Every year someone talks about building a cable park in ATL and it never happens.

A camp could get started way quicker, with less expenses, and still be profitable if done right. And the only way to do it right is give you guys what you want.

I have a huge list of ideas for a camp/park. Just curious to know what makes one camp better then the rest. And I was hoping its not the pro name involved with each camp. There are tons of great coaches that don't have the name the pros do. And thats strictly because they devote all their time to coaching instead building their name. Being in a magazine means you can ride, not coach. Give or take most guys who can ride generally can coach, but can they make you understand it?