Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-17-2017, 3:07 PM Reply   
So I have a question.....I just got some awesome new Brigade Surfboards. They didn't put the traction on the boards but they did send traction and surf wax. I see some really good surfers using wax mainly for their front foot. What advantages or disadvantages does using wax instead of traction have. I was thinking of just waxing up one and putting traction on the other ands seeing what I liked better (I've only used traction in the past), but the boards are so different in style that I didn't think this would be a fair comparison. Plus I didn't want to have to figure out how to get the wax off should I not like it.

So to wax or not to wax that is my question.
Old     (Chugh2surf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       07-17-2017, 6:37 PM Reply   
If you are just cruising around then I would say traction as it doesn't make a mess in the boat if you are doing more tricks then I like wax better. The wax just scraps right off and you can use wax remover if needed but it is a whole lot easier than removing a traction pad
Old     (ronix686)      Join Date: Feb 2017       07-17-2017, 7:00 PM Reply   
I put a bit of wax on my traction pads. Seems to help the board stay with me better on airs.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-17-2017, 8:10 PM Reply   
Wax does scrape off, sort of.... wax remover will remove much of the remaining residue, however, resin, even sealed resin is pitted, textured almost porous-like or has intentional surface scratches in it in the case of a typical sand finish board, and the wax will fill these areas. Once waxed, sticky back EVA traction will never really fully bond to the surface of the board, unless you sand it and clean it well with a solvent like acetone, xylene or toluene, all of which are on the nasty side of the health spectrum. Similarly, although it is common practice to add wax to traction, I see most riders add wax to wax alternatives like Viskus and others which to me seems odd, wax will slowly weaken the adhesive bond to the board. Wax especially in hotter climates where it melts a lot will work its way between the eva and adhesive.

So, basically, once you go wax it is hard to go back (or change), and once you go traction it is hard to go back (or change). EVA and the adhesive backer is hard to remove, especially if you want to remove it completely. Most only remove part and then just wax over the remaining adhesive residue.

Properly waxing a board is a learned skill. It takes time and practice to get a feel for how to rub wax on to build up humps. Wax coats require continuous maintenance as well. You don't just wax a board and you are good for months. You groom the wax with each ride.

All in all this probably didn't help with your decision.

I like wax, but I am a surfer, I grew up with a bar of wax in my mouth while paddling out to the line up.

Nick
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-18-2017, 6:07 AM Reply   
If you want to remove wax, buy a "wax pickle" off of Amazon. It is freaky. At room temp I scrape the bulk of the wax and then go over the rest with the pickle. I can completely strip a 6-0 in 5 minutes.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-18-2017, 6:42 AM Reply   
Or get a handful of foam dust from a local shaper and some old panty hose. That is all a pickle is. Good reuse.

Nick
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-19-2017, 12:36 PM Reply   
as a surfer, Wax gets everywhere! In your car ( boat) in your board bag, sticks to carpet and will never really come out as it will always leave an oily stain. Not to mention when it gets hot it melts.
I love wax but it is messy. If I had a $100K boat I would not let anyone with wax on their board in it.

Go with the traction
Old     (WakesurfMedia)      Join Date: Sep 2017       09-21-2017, 9:24 AM Reply   
There's also an alternative to wax and traditional traction pads called Viskus-Wake Grip. Agenda sells it on their website here http://agendasurf.com/viskus-wake-grip.html We don't have personal experience with it quite yet so make sure to do some homework prior to purchasing. One thing we haven't been able to determine yet is if it's just the tackiness that wears off or if it's the bumps themselves. Either might propose the same problems that traditional wax gives i.e. getting all over the boat's carpet and upholstery.

Here's a video which goes into a little more depth. It seems as if it's good for up to 20-30 uses but there's no telling how accurate that is, it might just depend on how often you use it and how/where you store your board.

Video -

Last edited by WakesurfMedia; 09-21-2017 at 9:28 AM.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-21-2017, 9:28 AM Reply   
I have Viskus on my Soulcraft board and it does work well however I was hoping for it to be stickier and have more grip than what it provides. It is at least an upgrade from foam traction.
Old     (WakesurfMedia)      Join Date: Sep 2017       09-21-2017, 9:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrider View Post
I have Viskus on my Soulcraft board and it does work well however I was hoping for it to be stickier and have more grip than what it provides. It is at least an upgrade from foam traction.
Looks like we were posting at the same time about it! Does it get all over the boat like normal wax? Also, what level of tackiness did you order? Looks like they offer a low, medium, and high tac option on Agenda's site.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-21-2017, 12:42 PM Reply   
I only really felt it was tacky the first time I applied it and because it's only rubber it doesn't get anywhere.

As far as the tackiness level I don't really know. I actually ordered it through a different surf board company that resells with their logo and only have one option. The cooler water temp I'm in also would make a difference. Next time I'd order direct from Viskus to know for sure what I'm getting.