Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jmanst15)      Join Date: Jun 2010       11-03-2013, 6:12 PM Reply   
Should my next tow rig be a diesel? I am a Ford guy. Should I go used Diesel or Ecoboost?
Old     (gibbs114)      Join Date: Oct 2013       11-03-2013, 6:18 PM Reply   
I love my new 6.7 powerstoke
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-03-2013, 6:28 PM Reply   
I just got a 7.3 diesel coming from a gas Nissan Titan with big tow capacity and lowered gears and idk why I ever owned a gasser! The fuel economy is way better even in a larger vehicle and it pulls my a22 like a freight train. I got about 12-14 mpg in the Titan hwy and maybe 19-22 in my super duty. I seriously sometimes forget the boat is back there when towing. If u are looking at a newer ford I would steer completely away from a 6.0 and would take a hard look at a 6.4 the 6.7 new engine I have heard great things about but none of the diesels have been reliable as the 7.3 which can easily get a half a million miles with care (reason I bought one). If you are wanting a newer looking truck then I would strongly educate yourself on what you are getting into as all this emissions garbage on these new diesels have created a lot more problems, although the motors after the 7.3s are monsters and they seem to be figuring it out a little better each motor. I looked for almost a year for a cherry 7.3 and found one with only 80k miles, they are actually getting rare and expensive if in good condition. Can you feel my excitement through the post? Haha yea I love having a diesel and feel there are tons of pros other than the amazing towing capability. I see no real advantage to the 150 with economist over a diesel as fuel consumption will be pretty similar although per gallon price will be higher.
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-03-2013, 6:30 PM Reply   
^*with ecoboost
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-03-2013, 7:05 PM Reply   
The ecoboost will out tow all gassers right now and still get decent mileage. Dont be fooled the Ecoboost is not going to blow your mind in gas mileage, it's better but nothing amazing. With trucks you really need to be honest with yourself and determine what you really need. If you use it for commuting or live in a city with tight parking then ecoboost all day long. If you are towing anything bigger than a 22ft boat then diesel is nice to have. Please remember the trade offs that a lot of this new diesel eco friendly technology is "newer" and is not 100% smoothed out yet. Also, any repairs to a diesel is significantly more than a gasser, however from what ive heard the ecoboost motor is damn near the same price as a diesel and the things that can go wrong is probababy similar to a diesel because of the turbo set up, you wont have the same EGR issues as a diesel.

I will tell you this, the new frames, brakes, suspension, steering, and lastly power is amazing in these new diesels. I say power last because where I notice the big improvement with my 2013 durmax over my 2001 7.3 and 07 6.0 is the way the truck handles. The 6.0 dually i coudl still feel the 24 ft boat I have and braking in urgent situations could be sketchy sometimes, with the duramax I have 110% confidence in it's abilities. I only got a diesel 3500 dually is because I haul a 17k pound horse trailer empty and if you've ever hauled animals the dually gives you a little extra piece of mind.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-03-2013, 7:44 PM Reply   
What is your price range? Are we talking new or used diesel?

I have a 2002 7.3L F350 and the thing does really well. I commute about 220 mi per week and I can get a pretty consistent 16-17 mpg (mainly highway driving) and the truck has been great to me.

I recently had to replace my up pipes (at 160k mi) and get rid of my exhaust back pressure valve (total of $1000 ish in parts).
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-03-2013, 8:02 PM Reply   
Also whats fun about diesels is modding them. It's pretty cool to slap a tuner exhaust and intake on a truck and gain over 200hp only spending a little over 1,000 dollars. The motors will usually last you many more miles than a gasser as well and are designed to be under heavy load so if u do a lot of long distance towing it isn't going to be such a strain on the motor.
Old     (JustinMD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       11-03-2013, 9:25 PM Reply   
I just drove 280 miles round trip in My Megacab 2500. Averaged 21.75mpg. Hand calculated, GPS calibrated speedo. I towed 850 miles round trip to Powell this summer. Total elevation change was from 1100 feet to 7000 feet. At 65mph I got 15.2 mpg round trip average. I have a 23LSV.

2006 Megacab Cummins 5.9L 4x4. It's like the boat is not even there. I go up the steep grades as fast I want. When loaded with the cabover and boat I can still go 60 up some serious grade with no issue. Total weight is 19,000 including truck. Just filled up from 2 weeks of city driving and the big biotch got 17. Oh and it will smoke most cars on the road when I put my foot in it. Runs a 14.4 second 1/4mile. Not bad for 8000 pounds.

I used my 2001 Tundra with the 4.7 to tow a 22' travel trailer to San Diego. Climbing the Mountains on Interstate 8 is vividly remember going 45mph with the foot to the floor in 2nd gear. I averaged 6MPG that trip. Within a month I had bought a Duramax. 2001 4x4. Added a econobox tuner and made the same drive 3 months later and averaged 13. Bonus, the Duramax went up the same mountains at 70.

While I think the Ecoboost is a great option for people that don't tow heavy, far, or up steep grades. I will never own a gasser again. My 99 Tacoma was only good for 18 city and best ever 21HWY. And that truck is tiny.

Buy what works for you. Diesel is $.60 a gallon more expensive than 87 in my parts so I'm sure the numbers are close in the cash dept. but when I pass people with my cabover and boat in tow going up the steep grades leaving the mountain lakes. I just look back and think about that shameful 45mph drive in that Tundra.
Old     (jmanst15)      Join Date: Jun 2010       11-04-2013, 7:21 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the replies. I LOVE the newer look of the diesels. The dream is to have a diesel but im not sure if I want all of the maintenance? What are you diesel guys doing on a monthly basis for the upkeep?
Old     (jmanst15)      Join Date: Jun 2010       11-04-2013, 7:25 AM Reply   
Also where should I be looking to find used diesels besides Craigslist? Any other good websites?
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       11-04-2013, 8:12 AM Reply   
Diesel requires more maintenance? I bought my 2005 duramax brand new, have about 160k miles on it and have only had to replace the water pump. Thing has been bullet proof without much maintenance IMO. No more than any other car. I originally bought it as I purchased a fifth wheel, then realized my truck then would have some issues. Still running great, but I am at a crossroad. I DO NOT need a new truck as this thing is still awesome, but I WANT a new truck as this is the longest I've ever owned a vehicle. I won't go back to a gasser, especially with the new ones, there's no point to go back. They're now quieter, cleaner, and you can pretty much tow anything without worry.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       11-04-2013, 8:15 AM Reply   
Try truck trader as well. I saw an ad (just looking) had a 2012 duramax with 16k miles, loaded, for 40k. I missed the deal as it had sold. It was at a Honda dealer, but sometimes you can get a good deal that way. Someone already took the big hit, the other dealer where the car was traded in at needs to move it.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       11-04-2013, 10:03 AM Reply   
If you are still looking at gas engines look at the new chevy 6.2L 460 ft/lbs tq.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-04-2013, 10:14 AM Reply   
I hav a 05 duramax with 190,000 miles on it and it too has been bullet proof. i change the oil and filter once a year with amsoil (good for 24,000 mile or once a year) i change the fuel filter once a year and the spin on allison filter once a year. i would say my maintenance over a gasser is maybe $20 more per year.
Old     (jmanst15)      Join Date: Jun 2010       11-04-2013, 11:45 AM Reply   
Those are both with the duramax's. Anyone with a ford? I might have to start looking at the Dmax's....
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-04-2013, 12:00 PM Reply   
How are you using the truck on a daily basis? How much towing will you be doing? Go drive an F150 ecoboost and a new F250 diesel back-to-back and drive them around like you would be every day. Go to a grocery store, try a drive-thru window, etc and really see how you like them. Basically do "extended" test drives of both vehicles. That's my recommendation.
Old     (Griggs24)      Join Date: Oct 2013       11-04-2013, 12:18 PM Reply   
I have an 08 F-250 (6.4) with 172K on it and it seems to get the job done. IMO the interior on the ford is a lot larger than other trucks. I will say if your looking for raw power than go with the Duramax or cummins. I am pulling a EPIC21V with my truck and you cant even tell its back there. I also average 14-16 MPG towing depending on how I drive. This is after installing around 1500 worth of aftermarket parts to free to motor up. I have pulled with all the big 3 and can say that the duramax pulls better but the ford is a way better ride if you are making longer trips. You cant really go wrong with any diesel, they are all going to pull a 21-24 foot boat with no problem. I would just check with my dealership to see what deals they have going. I stole my truck because the price of diesel fuel skyrocketed and they were off loading them. I have heard a lot about the eco boost but have yet to drive/tow with one.
Old     (jmanst15)      Join Date: Jun 2010       11-04-2013, 1:05 PM Reply   
I have a VLX but dont really drive a truck much at all. Its pretty much a weekend vehicle since I commute. It would be towing and hauling whatever needed to be hauled (house projects and stuff). I like the look of the diesel but don't necessarily need one. I have always wanted one so I would prefer that. My issue with the Fords are that the interior didnt change all the way up to 2007. Ive had a 98 expedition since 98 and would want something different.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-04-2013, 1:23 PM Reply   
Honestly, just go drive the trucks and see which one suits your needs better. If you aren't driving it that much, maybe take an F250 with the V10 for a spin. You get the bigger truck and the gasser F250's are a lot cheaper. Something to consider.
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       11-04-2013, 1:51 PM Reply   
I have a 2005 Dodge 2500 diesel with 130k miles on it and have never had to do anything but a brake job and replaced the batteries (knock on wood). I have a small chip, straight pipe exhaust, and get about 21 MPG not pulling a boat. It pulls anything I hookup to great. I am unsure as to what year model you are looking at but when you start getting into the newer models some require exhaust fluid and have a lot of exhaust restrictions (among many other expensive items).
Attached Images

Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       11-04-2013, 4:18 PM Reply   
If you want a diesel get one. Pick one and enjoy it.

For used trucks, there are lots of good deals if you know what to look for. Probably the best deal is on a 6.0l Ford due to all of the talk of problems. If you know what to look for, you can get one that requires no work for a very reasonable price. If it has a problem and you know what needs fixing, it can be a steal of a deal. The reality is there have been some problems with all brands, mostly dependant on how you maintain and operate them. Even though most boats don't need a diesel to pull them, with a tuner on the unit, you can usually out run most cars on the road.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-04-2013, 4:36 PM Reply   
I am probably in the minority here because 3/4 of wakeworld thinks you need a 3/4 ton diesel pickup to tow a 5000 pound boat but I see no reason why you "need" a diesel. Get a diesel pickup because you "want" one and because they are bad arse.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       11-04-2013, 5:33 PM Reply   
Had an 07 5.9 cummins averaged 14 in town and 21 highway unloaded. Pulled the boat effortlessly.

Have a 13 Hemi Ram with MDS. Average 14 in town and 23 highway unloaded. Pulls the boat well and maintains speed on hills. (far from effortlessly but not struggling).

35k for the 07 in 07. 26k for the Hemi a couple months ago. For my income they are the only reasonably priced trucks. If price didn't matter it would be Ford diesel all the way.......but I'm really pleased with my new Ram.
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       11-04-2013, 6:05 PM Reply   
When comparing mpg, you have to factor in the price difference between gas and diesel.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-04-2013, 6:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelerWake View Post
When comparing mpg, you have to factor in the price difference between gas and diesel.
And DEF fluid if the rig uses it.

And if you are talking regular maintenance like oil changes a lot of times the filters are often more and they use about double the oil.

Last edited by polarbill; 11-04-2013 at 6:18 PM.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       11-04-2013, 7:07 PM Reply   
I think all you're gonna hear here is lots of diesel lovers. you may wanna call on the weaker, less fortunate truckers out there to tell you why they chose not to go diesel. BTW I love my Duramax
Old     (0klahoma_Breakdown)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-05-2013, 6:19 AM Reply   
Weaker, less fortunate trucker here..... I was in this position just over a year ago and ended up going with an 08 Sierra 2500HD with the 6.0 Gasser. As much as I wanted a Diesel, I ended up going with a gas for many reasons. I know how to work on them and have a hard time justifying the extra cost of a diesel. To be honest though, when I am towing the boat,, there are times i wish I had more power. In a stiff headwind or uphill grade the truck will regularly downshift to keep up. My mpg is pretty much 12.5 whether towing or not as I drive everywhere like I stole it. If regular fuel prices ever rise to be the same or more than Diesel you can bet I would look into trading up.
Old     (yjwrangler95)      Join Date: Oct 2011       11-05-2013, 7:03 AM Reply   
I just bout a 13 2500HD 6.0 gasser, I tow a jeep and my boat quite often. I did the math and the break even point for the diesel vs gas truck based on on fuel costs/savings ect was roughly 150,000 miles. I wont' have the truck that long. You can buy a lot of gas for the cost difference. Do the math. However i did by a 3/4 ton truck, its hard to beat when towing heavy, its not needed for 90% of the wakeboats out there but it does make a difference in handling and feel. This is all my opinion, ymmv. dh
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       11-05-2013, 7:08 AM Reply   
I guess I'm weaker and "less fortunate" because I chose a gasser this time. Better all around mileage, cheaper to fill, and plenty of power......except for the 20 miles I pull the boat. Not worth the extra 10-15k IMO. Are they great? Yes. Is it a must have for a wake boat? Absolutely not.

Fun factor goes to the diesel hands down by adding a chip, but that seems to be getting harder with all the emissions being stacked on.
Old     (jmanst15)      Join Date: Jun 2010       11-05-2013, 7:29 AM Reply   
Im in Cali too so that makes a huge difference. Anyone see any nice diesels or gassers in their area on CL??? Links please!

Thanks
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-05-2013, 8:49 AM Reply   
Just changed (4) trucks in my fleet for 2014 Dodge 2500 Diesels. Averaging around 20 mpg without towing, about 15-17 towing. We tow lots of trailers, tow haulers, boats, and they pull great. Much quieter and better riding than my 2006 dodge. I think my duramax pulled harder, but this truck is smoother. We got them with most options for around $36K. Also they are much bigger inside than my duramax was. I was all prepared to get the new duramax, but with the same body lines and very few changes, I was not ready to spend $50K for the same truck I had just new. The Dodge gives me a ton of cool options built in for a lot less money.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-09-2013, 5:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalow View Post
I was all prepared to get the new duramax, but with the same body lines and very few changes, I was not ready to spend $50K for the same truck I had just new. The Dodge gives me a ton of cool options built in for a lot less money.
Uhhh, they haven't released the new 2500/3500 trucks yet. It is still the old body style. Only the 1500 trucks were updated; the 2500/3500 will be an early 2015 model year released, so of course it was the same truck as your older one. They just recently released the Denali package on the GMC's and the 6.2L motor.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-09-2013, 8:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousbird View Post
Uhhh, they haven't released the new 2500/3500 trucks yet. It is still the old body style. Only the 1500 trucks were updated; the 2500/3500 will be an early 2015 model year released, so of course it was the same truck as your older one. They just recently released the Denali package on the GMC's and the 6.2L motor.
They've released pics of the 2015 HD's with new body style, and they'll be available for purchase in a few months.
Attached Images

Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-09-2013, 6:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj32 View Post
They've released pics of the 2015 HD's with new body style, and they'll be available for purchase in a few months.
ok ok dont tell my friends.... but those do look pretty good. (Im die hard ford guy )

BUT, whats up with that front bumper? Its like, 8 inches off the ground and the rear is like 15 inches?
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-10-2013, 10:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeaverandboats View Post
ok ok dont tell my friends.... but those do look pretty good. (Im die hard ford guy )

BUT, whats up with that front bumper? Its like, 8 inches off the ground and the rear is like 15 inches?
Guaranteed that bumper has an air-dam effect. The last of the low hanging fruit for fuel economy is reducing the coefficient of drag on these beasts.
Old     (JustinMD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       11-05-2013, 10:00 AM Reply   
Jeff, It would help to know what your requirements are. Price range etc...

I bought mine in Oregon. I paid cash. No sales tax. They actually sent me an Oregon title. I'm in Az. Obviously if you get one private party you don't need to worry about sales tax unless you live in WA state.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-05-2013, 10:27 AM Reply   
I've got an '06 Duramax 6.6L LBZ with 170,000 hard miles on it, owned since new, no major problems (replaced u-joints, regular fluid maintenance). It's tuned w/ exhaust and intake. I love it and will retire it as a ranch truck as soon as I persuade pops to hand down his '11 Duramax and upgrade.
Old     (jmanst15)      Join Date: Jun 2010       11-05-2013, 10:44 AM Reply   
price range is somewhere between 15 and 25k. Id like to keep the miles down but just mainly that it came from a good home. I need an upgrade bad from my 15 yr old expedition. Its beat.
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       11-05-2013, 11:01 AM Reply   
After towing with an ecoboost there is no way I'd go back to a gasser (non-turbo) as the low end torque is amazing. I also didn't want to pay 20+% more for fuel, higher maint costs and DEF for a diesel because i don't put enough miles on it to make it back.

So for me, an ecoboost was a great choice (it's more BOOST than ECO however - lifetime mileage in my truck is about 14.8 MPG).

That being said, a superduty with diesel always looks sweet!
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       11-05-2013, 11:06 AM Reply   
Not sure what area of Cali you are in but a quick search brought up some good ones (only searched for Dodge). I wouldn't worry much about miles since you said it will be a weekend driver/ boat hauler. Also, the 5.9 Cummins is a great motor and does not have all the emissions crap. If 4x4 is not an issue for you there are even more deals to be has on 2WDs.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=9&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=4&Log=0
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-05-2013, 5:51 PM Reply   
The maintenance cost are not higher. This always comes from guys that do not own a diesel. It just is not true. Diesels hold there value. Any up front cost will be recovered on resale. If the truck has over 150k on it it will be worth lots more than the same gas truck. My 05' duramax gets 16 mixed driving diesel is $3.79.
3.79 / 16 = $0.236 per mile. My buddy has the same truck with 6.0 gets 11/3.25/11=$0.295 per mile. I drive 17000 a year. 17000x.06=$1020 per year. When I tow my 6500lb boat at 72mph I get 15mpg he towed my boat and got 6. You can do the math on that.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-05-2013, 9:17 PM Reply   
not to hijack but i'm in norcal looking for an 08 or newer dmax and having a hard time finding one too. I'm picky though.. has to be white, ltz, 4x4 and trying to be around 35k but can go higher. Just missed one that fit the bill for 34k last week. If anyone has leads or wants to sell let me know!
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       11-05-2013, 9:39 PM Reply   
hmmm to part with mine it would take 45K (because I love her that much) and has less than 66000 miles. fits your wants except she's black, but! she can hold over 85 gallons of ultra low sulfur...

Last edited by durty_curt; 11-05-2013 at 9:41 PM. Reason: .
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-05-2013, 9:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by durty_curt View Post
hmmm to part with mine it would take 45K (because I love her that much) and has less than 66000 miles. fits your wants except she's black, but! she can hold over 85 gallons of ultra low sulfur...
post a pic of her! I have to go with white though. I farm and black would get destroyed by dust daily. My current rig is the pewter color which is great with dirt but i can't stand it anymore.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-06-2013, 6:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
My current rig is the pewter color which is great with dirt but i can't stand it anymore.
come on man, pewter looks good!
Attached Images

Old     (Griggs24)      Join Date: Oct 2013       11-06-2013, 6:56 AM Reply   
Out of all the pictures of that truck you had to post this one! LOL
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-06-2013, 8:40 AM Reply   
Where on earth are you hooking that tow rope?
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-06-2013, 8:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
Where on earth are you hooking that tow rope?
cargo tie down hook in the trunk, duh.
Old     (Griggs24)      Join Date: Oct 2013       11-06-2013, 9:45 AM Reply   
Well being it's a 97 model somewhere along the road the bumper key/tow hook was removed from the tow kit in the trunk. So being I was already wet and in the ditch I decided to go ahead and tie the chain to the spare tire that is secured with 1/4" all-tread washer and bolt. Pulled the car out just fine. Screwed my lock mechanism up but then again, its a 97. Thanks for pulling me out Brett. Could of been a lot worse than just stuck in a ditch!
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-06-2013, 8:51 AM Reply   
BMW's have tow hooks in the bumper.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       11-06-2013, 6:45 PM Reply   
the most recent one I have.

since we're posting pics of others in distress and helping out...

Old     (Griggs24)      Join Date: Oct 2013       11-06-2013, 9:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by durty_curt View Post
the most recent one I have.

since we're posting pics of others in distress and helping out...

And I though I had a bad day.
Old     (whatshesaid)      Join Date: Jun 2013       11-07-2013, 5:43 AM Reply   
I have had a 2006 Duramax, and a 2013 Duramax. My 06 i had tunner, exhaust, intake, and other mods, and it would lite the tires at hwy speeds, but the stock 2013 out pulls it all day long, and doesnt ride like a wagon. If you can afford it go with a Duramax and never look back. You dont know what your missing.
Old     (whatshesaid)      Join Date: Jun 2013       11-07-2013, 5:46 AM Reply   
Attached Images

Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-09-2013, 4:27 AM Reply   
I thought I would show what I just pick up this Thursday. I bought a 7.5 Chevy duramax because my supra 24v was just to big for my 2003 1500. I really didn't feel safe pulling it in traffic. That said I haven't had the new truck long enough to hook it up to the boat let but just from power alone I don't think ill ever go back.
Attached Images

Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-09-2013, 4:33 AM Reply   
One more
Attached Images

Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-09-2013, 5:02 AM Reply   
Very nice!
Old     (Bagar55)      Join Date: Aug 2013 Location: Mineral, Va       11-09-2013, 1:18 PM Reply   
I had a 2007 dodge 2500 w/ 5.9 cummins. It was a bad ass truck. Put a programmer on it and intake/exhaust and the power was awesome. Could pull anything and really fun to drive because of the power. When loaded or towing the ride was great. Unloaded or not towing and it would beat you. Very firm stiff suspension. This of course is by design. I loved the truck and hated to get rid of it. It was a no joke truck. Would 4 wheel through anything. However the maintenance cost was by far much more expensive then a gas truck. This is a real thing to consider. Plus the purchase price of a diesel will normally be 8k-10k more expensive. In 2012 I sold the diesel for a hemi 1500. Had to sell due to allowance and age restriction at work. I wanted a new diesel but the extra expense at purchase and maintenance steered me to the 1500. The hemi is a great truck also. Much better daily driver. Much more comfortable ride. Power is solid. Maintenance has been way cheaper. Now when it comes to hauling or towing I miss the diesel every time. The ideal setup in my opinion is to have a gas 1500 for a daily driver and light duty work. Then have an older diesel for real work and for towing the boat. Unfortunately I can only afford and have the room for one truck. The gas hemi pulls the boat fine and is a better truck for my needs now.

For all those that say maintenance is not more expensive on a diesel I do not agree. Brakes last half as long. An oil change is much more expensive. Tires are replaced at 40,000 and not 65k. The cost of all parts and wear items is more expensive. This is real world from experience and for me absolutely true.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-09-2013, 7:21 PM Reply   
i think the chevy in the pick is a 2wd, which seem to typically have a pretty low front end.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-10-2013, 8:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
i think the chevy in the pick is a 2wd, which seem to typically have a pretty low front end.
Dont take away the ONLY bad thing i could come up with man hahaha
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       11-13-2013, 10:05 AM Reply   
#1: Those new GMs are so ugly that even their own mother would disown them....

#2: Get a Cummins and don't look back, it'll out pull the duramax all day long. Sure it doesn't ride as smooth, but it's a heavy duty truck FFS. It's designed to pull ridiculously heavy loads. I pulled my Tige RZ4 with my 2012 3500 MegaCab 4x4 from South Ft. Worth to Hot Springs,AR this past summer and actually forgot the boat was back there and still got 13-14 mpgs running 75-80 on the interstate and shagging ass through the backroads of the Ozarks. I would however recommend staying away from the 2013-current models since they have the new DEF systems and are a pain/expensive to remove. I can drop about $2000 into my motor with a programmer, full exhaust/DPF delete, and EGR delete and get over 20 mpgs. Just haven't done it yet since I spent all my toy money on the boat this past season.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-13-2013, 4:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastR3DN3K View Post
#1: Those new GMs are so ugly that even their own mother would disown them.....
And you think this is good looking?

That's straight off the Ram website, that's not a base model either, but a Laramie. And likely more expensive than what the 2015 Sierra Denali 2500 Duramax will MSRP for as well.
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       11-15-2013, 11:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousbird View Post
And you think this is good looking?

That's straight off the Ram website, that's not a base model either, but a Laramie. And likely more expensive than what the 2015 Sierra Denali 2500 Duramax will MSRP for as well.
While I will admit that the minor tweaks they made to the newer model Dodges aren't my favorite, I will say that it is still a far better looking truck than the GMs, especially the Chevys. It's like GM saw all the stupid emo kids who wear the thick frame glasses and said "I think they've got a great idea...let's do that to our truck...". As for cost, I actually looked at a 2500 Chevy that wasn't nearly as equipped as my 3500 Dodge, but was somehow $2000 more MSRP, and the dealer refused to even attempt to beat the deal that Dodge was going to give me. The equivalent 3500 Chevy that they had was just a hair over $12,000 more than my loaded Dodge. I've had a ton of diesels (a 1996 7.3, 2003 6.0, and 2011 6.7 powerstroke, 2005 6.6 Duramax, and 1990 5.9 12v and 2013 6.7 Cummins), and while I admit that the new 6.7 Cummins isn't as proven yet as the 5.9 and 7.3, I'm am really impressed and will never go back to a Ford, and especially a Chevy. If you really think that those other 2 are so much better, I challenge you to go down to your local state fair, major rodeo, or hot shot trucking company and see just how many of each make are out there. I'd guarantee that most of them will be Dodges, because people who actually use their truck for more than just a "fashion statement" know that the Cummins is a far superior platform.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-15-2013, 6:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastR3DN3K View Post
...I'm am really impressed and will never go back to a Ford, and especially a Chevy. If you really think that those other 2 are so much better, I challenge you to go down to your local state fair, major rodeo, or hot shot trucking company and see just how many of each make are out there. I'd guarantee that most of them will be Dodges, because people who actually use their truck for more than just a "fashion statement" know that the Cummins is a far superior platform.
To each his own, but tests and numbers don't lie. Since you have a 2012 Ram this comparison test can be considered relevant. The Duramax and Allison out perform in nearly every test, where is the Ram ended up last. Just be cause a bunch ranchers have Rams where you live, doesn't mean that it's a more capable truck (I'm not saying "best", because that is subjective to each persons needs).

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...rew-cab-page-4

Like you, I tow my G23 (probably about 1500 pounds more than the RZ4 when you factor in the weight of the boat, 20 gallon bigger gas tank, and beefier trailer) behind my Duramax all summer long, and cannot even tell it's back there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Ram is a bad truck. I just want to tell the story from different perspective, and include some factual numbers and tests as support.
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       11-15-2013, 8:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
To each his own, but tests and numbers don't lie. Since you have a 2012 Ram this comparison test can be considered relevant. The Duramax and Allison out perform in nearly every test, where is the Ram ended up last. Just be cause a bunch ranchers have Rams where you live, doesn't mean that it's a more capable truck (I'm not saying "best", because that is subjective to each persons needs).

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...rew-cab-page-4

Like you, I tow my G23 (probably about 1500 pounds more than the RZ4 when you factor in the weight of the boat, 20 gallon bigger gas tank, and beefier trailer) behind my Duramax all summer long, and cannot even tell it's back there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Ram is a bad truck. I just want to tell the story from different perspective, and include some factual numbers and tests as support.
Well since you're a number kinda guy:

http://www.dieselhub.com/compare/201...omparison.html

If you actually look at the numbers you'll see that there isn't one "dominant" manufacturer sweeping all the categories. 90% of all the other tests out there end up falling victim to the writer's opinion and will usually lead to a biased decision. Drag racing diesels is stupid since that's not what they're designed for, and no matter what the Dodge will always lose in a drag race. There's no way that an inline 6 with a bigger bore and longer stroke will ever be able to turn the RPMs as quickly as the V8s, but the Cummins will always make way more power on the bottom end than the PS or the DM can ever hope to make. It's just the way they're designed. And if you go and look at the towing numbers, they're so close that none of us will be able to tell a difference with the boats we're towing...hell, we could tow 3 of our boats at the same time and still pull fine. The number that stands out the most to me in that list is the massive difference in the 5th wheel towing capacity...that Dodge owns by more than 5,000 lbs over the nearest competitor. This goes back to my previous statement about "people who use their trucks for more than just a fashion statement". People who make a living using their trucks to their max capability (i.e.- ranchers, hotshot drivers, farmers, etc) will pick a Dodge most frequently. The OP can pick whatever he wants and it'll be more than enough to tow any boat in this forum, but when it comes to capability, fit/finish, and price vs. features, the Dodge takes the cake in my book....but to each his own.
Old     (whatshesaid)      Join Date: Jun 2013       11-13-2013, 1:27 PM Reply   
Not taking anything away form your Dodge love FastE3DN3K, but if you do some research the Dodge will come in last every time compared to the Fords, and Chevys. But any of these trucks are up for the task, and we all have our favorites for different reasons.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       11-15-2013, 11:13 PM Reply   
and the pissing match continues....
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       11-16-2013, 6:03 AM Reply   
Ryan is spot on. I am not brand loyal but went with the dodge because you get more truck for the $$$$$. Ford and Chevy could not even come close on price. And in my opinion the dodge is a better looking truck
Attached Images

Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-16-2013, 6:52 AM Reply   
Picked up this 08 a couple days ago. Personally I like the looks of the gm trucks better than any other manufacturer. My buddy has a dodge and that 5.9 cummins is hard to beat. The tranny is another story though. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384613541.373159.jpg
Views: 3773
Size:  25.0 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-16-2013, 8:04 AM Reply   
I really like Harolds Dodge. It has great lines, the stance is perfect and just all around looks good. I am a big fan of the looks of the Fords. Those GM's are really ugly.

Nitrous, you are completely ridiculous. Funny that you decided to pick the brown one for your example. The truck you posted looks great other than the color being brown.
Old     (whatshesaid)      Join Date: Jun 2013       11-16-2013, 8:58 AM Reply   
So how much does a fully loaded Dodge cost?

I purchaesd may 2013 K2500 Z71 LTZ fully loaded (minus sunroof) about 4 months ago.
Sticker $62K
sale price $43K
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-16-2013, 1:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatshesaid View Post

I purchaesd may 2013 K2500 Z71 LTZ fully loaded (minus sunroof) about 4 months ago.
Sticker $62K
sale price $43K
That's what I'm wondering. I got my 2013 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab Z71 LTZ Duramax with a lot of extras (20" rims, bedliner, side steps, tonneau cover, heated/air seats, etc.) for $47 (sticker was $63k). Pretty reasonable if you ask me.
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       11-16-2013, 9:07 PM Reply   
Quote:

Sticker $62K
sale price $43K
I got my 2012 Dodge 3500 Laramie brand new last year. It's a MegaCab Dually 4x4 with every option except the sunroof and rear DVD monitors.

Sticker - $59,200
Sale with my company discout (out the door TT&L included) - $46,750ish
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-22-2013, 2:34 PM Reply   
Quote:

Sticker $62K
sale price $43K
That's not even possible.... That's with a trade, and some "funny" numbers on a trade....

I'm looking at the same truck (but a 2014) right now. About $62k sticker, will run about $55,800 (includes $3k in rebates). That's through my uncle's Chevy/Cadillac dealership, my cousin is the sales manager, and no trade.... Purely invoice minus holdback minus rebates.... What they actually get the truck for.

If a dealer showed you $43k on paper, they were playing some games on trade value. That, or there were some HUGE rebates on 13's when you bought.
Old     (drnate)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-22-2013, 3:26 PM Reply   
I love my Ram. And I had a Ford 7.3 Liter before it and there is no comparison

Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-16-2013, 9:37 PM Reply   
I've owned a mix of gas burners and diesel trucks. I"ll never go back to a gas burner, even if I never have the need to tow anything....

Old     (JustinMD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       11-19-2013, 2:18 PM Reply   
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...l-economy.html
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-22-2013, 8:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyb View Post
I've owned a mix of gas burners and diesel trucks. I"ll never go back to a gas burner, even if I never have the need to tow anything....

John, you always seem to have the cleanest and best looking rigs. Didn't you have a white 2004ish Denali slightly lowered with 24's? That was probably my favorite escalade, tahoe, yukon of that era Ihave ever seen. Soooo clean.
Old     (whatshesaid)      Join Date: Jun 2013       11-21-2013, 1:36 PM Reply   
So it sounds like the prices are within the same ball park for a Dodge or Chevy. The Dodge maybe be alittle cheaper, but im sure that all depends where you buy.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-21-2013, 2:48 PM Reply   
Wow guys those are crazy good prices not doubting them just wondering how you negotiated those prices?