Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (sburkhead)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-01-2009, 5:59 PM Reply   
Does the velcro really work and is it better than laces? I like the idea, but just wondered if anyone has them and if you like them.
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-01-2009, 7:18 PM Reply   
I have melissa board but not her bindings....I was unsure how velcro really holds up in the water. I would like to hear the answer to this!
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-02-2009, 9:31 AM Reply   
My friend rode them last year, they look good still, her only complaint is hard to get them tight in the water if you take a nice digger and the board comes off. but that is no big deal just get back on the swim step, and put your board back on. They feel so awesome, I just got them on clearance 08' but 09's are supposedly made better.
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-02-2009, 3:18 PM Reply   
I have the 09s, and I'm not a fan, in fact I've just swapped them with a friend for some 07s :-)
I have quite a narrow foot, so even in the smallest size the velcro never got tight enough for me.
I will say, they did feel slightly better if i put them on really wet, then squished down the liner as i did up the velcro.
The velcro was holding up fine on mine.
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-03-2009, 8:01 AM Reply   
I know I have my 07's for a back up in case I don't like them. Seems like they went cheap on the 09 foot bed too. Is it comfy?
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-03-2009, 2:17 PM Reply   
The boots are perfectly comfy, and feel fine when you're just cruising around. definitely plenty of padding etc. The footbed is soft, but kinda slippery, so my foot kept sliding forward on bigger jumps. about two weeks ago I put my foot through the binding on a big landing, and I swore I'd never wear them for wake riding again.
Used them at cable the following weekend and they still sucked :-)
I don't think this will be the case for everyone, I just wouldn't recommend them if you have a narrow foot, and I'd probably go a size smaller than you think (if you can). I'd say the 5-7s should really fit 8-9s maybe?
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-12-2009, 10:14 PM Reply   
ok tried the 08 Melissa's. They do fit bigger than the 07's but so far they are ok, they haven't stretched much. I do have a little heel lift, but didn't notice it while I was riding.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-13-2009, 4:29 AM Reply   
The velcro on the 09's is more durable than the 08's. They had Teva make the velcro for them on the 09's. While they were at it Teva also suggested a different footbed. That is how the changes came about. For those that don't know, Teva is a maker of high end sport sandals. I really hope that the new footbed is not slick as alice said. My daughter just got in a pair of the limited editions that she will be riding this year.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-13-2009, 4:34 AM Reply   
By the way Stephanie, if you ever want to try some equipment out at Rough River, I can bring what ever you want to try down there from boatworks. I don't know if you have ever been there. They handle LF, hyperlite, ronix, cwb. I know right now they have some closeout 08 stuff priced really well. I saw an 08 melissa setup out there on tuesday.
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-15-2009, 4:08 PM Reply   
Hey Mike, given the ltd's are closed toe, your daughter probably won't have too much trouble - at least she can't put her foot through the front!
I definitely found them slippery, but would be interested to hear what some other girls think.
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-15-2009, 4:32 PM Reply   
Ok Alice had my foot go through the front a little on the 08. So bummed. I wear an 8 and 1/2. But I was told to tighten from the bottom up. So I am determined to make them work. They are so comfy! They just felt loose too, while I was riding. But I didn't try and tighten them when I fell.
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-15-2009, 4:58 PM Reply   
oh Kim, that sux! i hope you can find a way.
I found that if i got mine really really wet, then push hard down into the binding when i was doing the velcro up, they fitted a little better.
I think your 08s should be heat mouldable too, which could make a big difference?!
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-24-2009, 8:18 PM Reply   
Ok the bindings worked great!! I just have to tighten them if I fall hard. and getting them wet and velcro twice. I love them they are so comfy!!
Old     (dmc_napa)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-03-2009, 2:18 PM Reply   
Both of my girls have been riding the '08 Melissa bindings - and love how comfortable they are, but it really depends on how much you ride... As much as my girls ride, the velcro is just not holding up. We just got a pair of '08 bindings in January 09 and the velcro is already failing. However, my girls ride more than your average Joe.
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-06-2009, 6:56 PM Reply   
I ride 4-5x a week. so i hope they last! cause I love them!!! now
Old     (dmc_napa)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-06-2009, 8:27 PM Reply   
Here is Sofia's new 08's purchased in Jan 09 - flashy!
Upload

Here is the other pair of Melissa's we bought around the end of last year. They are already toast.

Upload

I hope you have better luck with the velcro!
Old     (mumblebear)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-08-2009, 11:13 PM Reply   
I have the 08 melissa bindings 7-9 and love them. They are amazingly comfortable and I like not having to mess with any laces. The velcro makes it easier and faster for me to put them on. I wear a size 7 and as long as I tighten them a little after a hard fall, they stay on well.
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-18-2009, 10:12 AM Reply   
Omg I just tried the 09 melissa's HATED them! I could feel the water under my board because of the skimpy foot bed. The 08's ROCK!!! The only thing it made my board 1lb lighter. So that was cool. but not a fan! go 08!! Love the velcro! will never go to laces again. but otherwise not a huge fan of the 09. and the landings were not soft! at all!!!!!
Old     (khunter)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-20-2009, 12:42 PM Reply   
Stephanie, I have the Liquid Force diva board and have the Luna bindings. They have the velcro and I love them. I prefer the velcro over the laces. We are at Rough River a lot, might be there this weekend. We could get together and you are more than welcome to try my bindings. Just my opinion, but I like them.