Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-18-2015, 3:44 PM Reply   
I stumbled across this review today. I have a bunch of wetsounds stuff and am getting ready to add more, so I'm hoping you guys will tell me this test was a bunch of $#*!.

http://marine-speakers-review.toptenreviews.com/
Old     (cb396)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-18-2015, 4:06 PM Reply   
I replaced all my onboard speakers, 6 total, with the Polk mm series earlier this summer, and can vouch for how great they sound!! They thump pretty good!
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-18-2015, 4:17 PM Reply   
No way that is accurate...
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-18-2015, 4:21 PM Reply   
That site is a "paid" advertising based site which we "do not" pay. So you see what that gets you LOL. It is complete nonsense and has no real truths to anything. The reviewer has ZERO knowledge of audio. Here is his bio.

Writer/Reviewer for TopTenReviews.com.
Introduction
Having a B.A. in English from Utah Valley University and an M.F.A. in Fiction from San Diego State University, I am obsessed with the craft of writing, be it creative in nature or not.

I am known for my obsessions with all-things-Ireland, Doctor Who, San Diego, music, and art. I love recording music with whatever instruments I can get my hands on: guitar, bass, drums, piano, banjo, bagpipes, and more. I also love to paint, both digitally in Photoshop and with oil on canvas.

So he is a FICTION writer!!!! Which this site is! He likes to record music, most likely on his Mac. He did no real testing except to read companies web sites and had someone run a curve. And then compared curves. This is so completely laughable. Curves and specs don't mean anything in real world applications.http://marine-speakers-review.toptenreviews.com

Here you can see. They NEVER even listened to anything. Just ran a curve and then compared a few frequencies out of each curve. Again, means nothing in real world.

They also say we haven't passed third party salt fog and uv tests, which all of our products have. They didn't bother to ask. Because they don't care.

They did this last year as well and had a lady do the review who again had no background in audio. We ranked higher with the same speaker yet some others still ranked in the top. Makes you go "hmmmmm"

After last year tests, we sent them some emails and said if your planning on doing a test, how about having someone with some real knowledge and test equipment do this test. Someone impartial yet extensive knowledge.I was thinking David Stein who has retired from the industry. As he has the real world knowledge, access to the right test equipment. I told them if they want to use our products in a test again, i will only allow it if they have someone who knows what they are doing and it is the right way to test.

Yet it was all about advertising.

So since we made a bit of a stink about how they do not know what they are doing. They sure showed us didn't they!

In the industry, Wet Sounds, JL, Kicker and Rockford are all in the top in terms of the market in sales both OEM and aftermarket. Yet JL, Wet Sounds and Rockford all towards the back. Yet $129 sony scored higher.

So don't pay any attention to what some Fiction english major has to say. Let your ears decide, let expert dealers help you who have real world experience in actual installs and Listening! And understand, its all about paid advertising.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-18-2015, 4:22 PM Reply   
Not surprised in that size class...... But trying to think of a boat that still uses a 6.5....

Pretty sure most have been focusing on the 8"+, and I think the overall results would be much different.
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       08-18-2015, 5:57 PM Reply   
Since Tim has put this to bed, I'mma hijack this for a moment.

Tim, off topic, I am having a hell of a time keeping my REV10's to keep from spinning on their vertical mounted tube when the tower is folded down, thus allowing the weight of the speaker to succomb to gravity. I have tightened these things down numerous times and can't keep them in their position while the tower is folded. Is it recommended to remove them while in this position? I just want to avoid the possibility of pin issues arising. Thanks.
Old     (masongardner)      Join Date: Jan 2014       08-18-2015, 8:20 PM Reply   
I could really care less about a review such as the one above, seeing Tim from wetsounds on here all the time says something about the company. Keep up the good work.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       08-19-2015, 5:58 AM Reply   
Totally bogus review.
Reviewer reads the net and a little Wiki to become an instant 'expert'.
Goes off manufacturer specs which are known to be terribly inconsistent from brand to brand, as there are no standards or qualifications for those specs.
Can a 6.5" coaxial speaker reproduce 40 Hz. when its resonance is higher than 40Hz? Sure, at 40 dB down and at an inaudible level.
A sine wave sweep so inconsistent that they have to run it ten times and average the results. What size box? A calibrated measurement mic or a voice mic? What room? What distance? Statistically this method might as easily multiply the inherent flaws of the test.

Actually the Polk Audio speaker is very good sounding. Certainly In the top six IMO. Is it more efficient than the rest? Absolutely not! Can one speaker be the most sensitive, have the greatest power handling, and have the broadest & smoothest response? No way. Those are often contradictory attributes within design trade-offs. The only common thread is that the brand embellishes all its specs.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-19-2015, 7:35 AM Reply   
Baadls1,

Just give my tech support a call, 877-938-7757. Tell them I told you to call and get some new clamp inserts and see about sending the other different sized set as well. This way you can snug it up tight. You might just have a slightly odd sized pipe or the inserts are wore causing them to slip. With new inserts and some locktite. You should be fine.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-19-2015, 8:07 AM Reply   
Tim, how long until we get to see an updated rev 10 or whole new speaker? Interested to see if they can actually get any better.
Old     (board365)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-19-2015, 8:24 AM Reply   
I have wetsounds all over my boat and my polaris ranger i would not have anything else , loudest thing on the market, if you have not checked out the stealth 10 w/ blue tooth for a golf cart or side by side its the quickest set up
ill always run wetsounds
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-19-2015, 8:25 AM Reply   
chase,

We have so many new things in the works. However, The REV series is still the bench mark in the industry! Only thing that can play louder is the REV 410.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (Tallredrider)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-19-2015, 9:42 AM Reply   
One example of how stoopid this review is that the Infinity was ranked as the highest power rating...yes, it has 225 Watts PEAK power handling, and is listed as 2-75 Watts RMS (continuous), which is what really drives a speaker. The Wetsounds has a much higher RMS power handling, but scored lower. I quit critically reviewing the information when it became clear that they had no idea what they were doing.

Not that some of the top speakers are not great, but there is no way Wetsounds should be at the bottom, which also shows the lack of accuracy.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-19-2015, 10:10 AM Reply   
the level of butthurt in this thread is strong. That review site is so stupid it speaks for itself and anyone dumb enough to blindly choose based on the rankings is a bonehead.

I mean duh, there isn't even an exile speaker tested so you know it's bogus because exile beats wetsounds in every category hands down every day of the week.

(/sarcasm)

Luckily though, those "top rated" polk mm651ums are actually pretty nice speakers in their own right.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-19-2015, 12:49 PM Reply   
Ask and you shall receive!
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-19-2015, 7:42 PM Reply   
The sad thing is that people these days fall for that ****. They read and listen to misinformed people, or take the advice from someone that says OMG my powerbass is sooooo loud. Sure, something can be loud, but loud and clear, or enjoyable to listen to, probably not. the people that are too lazy to get off their phone and get a real demo are the people that believe this crap. Buying junk off the internet because some person with zero credibility told them it was good enough.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-20-2015, 8:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetsounds1 View Post
That site is a "paid" advertising based site which we "do not" pay. So you see what that gets you LOL. It is complete nonsense and has no real truths to anything. The reviewer has ZERO knowledge of audio. Here is his bio.

Writer/Reviewer for TopTenReviews.com.
Introduction
Having a B.A. in English from Utah Valley University and an M.F.A. in Fiction from San Diego State University, I am obsessed with the craft of writing, be it creative in nature or not.

I am known for my obsessions with all-things-Ireland, Doctor Who, San Diego, music, and art. I love recording music with whatever instruments I can get my hands on: guitar, bass, drums, piano, banjo, bagpipes, and more. I also love to paint, both digitally in Photoshop and with oil on canvas.

So he is a FICTION writer!!!! Which this site is! He likes to record music, most likely on his Mac. He did no real testing except to read companies web sites and had someone run a curve. And then compared curves. This is so completely laughable. Curves and specs don't mean anything in real world applications.http://marine-speakers-review.toptenreviews.com

Here you can see. They NEVER even listened to anything. Just ran a curve and then compared a few frequencies out of each curve. Again, means nothing in real world.

They also say we haven't passed third party salt fog and uv tests, which all of our products have. They didn't bother to ask. Because they don't care.

They did this last year as well and had a lady do the review who again had no background in audio. We ranked higher with the same speaker yet some others still ranked in the top. Makes you go "hmmmmm"

After last year tests, we sent them some emails and said if your planning on doing a test, how about having someone with some real knowledge and test equipment do this test. Someone impartial yet extensive knowledge.I was thinking David Stein who has retired from the industry. As he has the real world knowledge, access to the right test equipment. I told them if they want to use our products in a test again, i will only allow it if they have someone who knows what they are doing and it is the right way to test.

Yet it was all about advertising.

So since we made a bit of a stink about how they do not know what they are doing. They sure showed us didn't they!

In the industry, Wet Sounds, JL, Kicker and Rockford are all in the top in terms of the market in sales both OEM and aftermarket. Yet JL, Wet Sounds and Rockford all towards the back. Yet $129 sony scored higher.

So don't pay any attention to what some Fiction english major has to say. Let your ears decide, let expert dealers help you who have real world experience in actual installs and Listening! And understand, its all about paid advertising.

Tim
Wet Sounds

Tim has it about right. I don't know if it is advertising though...
FOR THE RECORD, we knew nothing about this "top ten review" until we saw it in a thread in one of the marine audio forums. I can state factually that we didn't pay anything to them for the #3 ranking....

I know now not to contact them and flame-on about their process though; thanks Tim!

I find it humorous to see Kicker got dinged due to lack of a sealed crossover. Ahem... HUH????? What is that dude smoking? Tweeters HAVE to have crossovers and the Kicker certainly has one; just like probably all of the rest of the "reviewed" speakers do...

FYI

Phil
Kicker

Last edited by philwsailz; 08-20-2015 at 8:05 AM.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       08-20-2015, 9:39 AM Reply   
All it takes is just one advertiser to render the entire review bogus.
And there may be many additional ways to generate revenue by covering key words or other methods beyond my scope of expertise.
This is by no means Consumer Report and experts within any field often disagree with a more comprehensive Consumer Report review.
When unchanged products are rated dramatically different in the standings from year to year, that's an immediate tip off.
These advertising/editorial formats are false representations regardless of whether it's stereos, radar detectors, or vacuum cleaners. Funny how the fancy plastic piece-of-junk see-through vacuum cleaner that lasts one year gets rated the highest while the boring industrial version that lasts a generation gets rated the lowest.
It's a scam that gets funded some way or another.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-20-2015, 9:52 AM Reply   
This is why it was so important to guarantee net neutrality. When reviews like the one the OP linked to can be seen because they pay your ISP for speed but real unpaid forum information such as this can be hidden by your ISP then the internet becomes worthless.