Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (superwake220)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-31-2017, 9:09 PM Reply   
I have 2012 V226 bought new in 2013. At 39 hours the prop shaft coupler bolts broke. Took it to a shop and they said the bolts just broke and put new ones in. At about 140 hours the bolts broke again. This time the shop replaced the prop shaft, coupler, strut, and realigned the engine. Took it out a week later, it seemed to run fine. Then I took it out the next week, run for 2 hours and broke the prop shaft inside of the coupler. The bolts were fine. The shop replaced the shaft and coupler and tried to realign the engine. But they could not get to align. Measurements are .03, .10, .10, .10 and stated that the motor is maxed out for the alignment. I know I am assed out for having the boat fixed by the manufacturer since they went out of business. Did I really get stuck with a piece of crap? That has never ran for a whole summer. I need help with this.!!!!! I can't even sell it. I would not wish this crap on any other person. Again I pleading for help. Thank you.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-01-2017, 5:17 AM Reply   
Supreme is not out of business. They were purchased by Centurion. Then both were purchased by Correct Craft. That would be my first contact.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       09-01-2017, 7:42 AM Reply   
Those measurements make no sense. .100" is huge, as is .030". When you get one gets farther the opposite should get closer. If it were mine I would pull the shaft and check for straight. Check the trans output flange and coupler for flat, machine or replace as necessary. Replace cutlass bearings while the shaft is out. Once you know you have a straight shaft check the alignment of the strut to the shaft log, sitting neutrally it should be appromimately centered in the log. If not the strut may be bent or misaligned. If so straighten or replace and shim as necessary.

Only once you know all that is good do you worry about engine alignment. At this point you should be able to get alignment much closer or at least see numbers that make sense. If you don't have enough adjustment you need to determine which axis and either modify the mounts to give the required adjustment, shim between mounts and.stringers or remove material from stringers, glass, and reinstall as necessary. Also inspect all the mounts for wear or damage. The rubber isolating parts of your mounts may have collasped or disintegrated, runing with a way off alignment can do this to a new boat where you wouldn't normally suspect mount damage or deterioration.

This really shouldn't be a big deal. Maybe the result of striking an object and running it with bent or misaligned parts.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       09-01-2017, 7:47 AM Reply   
Also, you should be shooting for .003" max gap around the coupler. Another thought, with the coupler off the trans/vdrive grab the output flange and move is side/side and up/down. If you feel any movement your output shaft bearing needs to be replaced. Very likely given it has been run so much with severe misalignment. This must have no slop in it before you can align.