Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-18-2016, 5:10 PM Reply   
Been riding LF board pretty much ever since I started boarding. Great boards. Never had many issues, but I am just wanting to try something new. I like loose boards. My last three liquid force boards were the Lyman, Watson Hybrid and currently have the Harley. My favorite was probably the Lyman followed by the Watson Hybrid and then the Harley. The Harley is a good all around board but not as loose as I like.

Recommendations? I only ride behind the boat. I'm leaning toward the Slingshot Recoil or Ronix One timebomb. If the Watson Hybrid and the LF Lyman had a baby that's what I'm looking for. Not sure what's out there so some suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-18-2016, 7:44 PM Reply   
It sounds like you would like the slingshot blue pill.
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       03-22-2016, 6:47 AM Reply   
I have the Timebomb. You would like it a lot I feel. I actually feel that I myself may like the Slingshot Blue Pill better from what I've read on reviews and can't wait to give it a try! I do know that a super "fun" board to ride that's very loose and just a blast is the Slingshot Nomad. It's a bigger board but very buttery! Lot's of play time on that board! Good pop too with soft landings. Just not quite the board if you want to throw a lot of technical tricks or spins.
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       03-22-2016, 6:50 AM Reply   
Here's a video, don't know if you've seen it, of "Zucky" riding his Nomad....it kind of showcases just how playful the Nomad can be!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6FyJl5OQ0A
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       03-22-2016, 7:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by beg4wake View Post
Here's a video, don't know if you've seen it, of "Zucky" riding his Nomad....it kind of showcases just how playful the Nomad can be!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6FyJl5OQ0A
I have no doubt that the nomad is a fun, playful board based on it's design, but in that video Zucky is riding a terrain not a nomad.

I have been riding a SS hooke for years and just took the plunge on Code 22 I'll let you know how it goes
Old     (slidin_out)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-22-2016, 8:30 AM Reply   
Switched to SS Reflex last year and like it way better than any board from Hyperlite I've ever had. I'm a creature of habit and tend to stick to a brand if I like it so switching to a SS board was hard to fathom. After a couple of rides I was sold.
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       03-22-2016, 9:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillinoj View Post
I have no doubt that the nomad is a fun, playful board based on it's design, but in that video Zucky is riding a terrain not a nomad.

I have been riding a SS hooke for years and just took the plunge on Code 22 I'll let you know how it goes
You are correct...At first glance I thought it was the Nomad...shaped a lot like the Nomad and similar graphics. I stand corrected!
Old     (Medium)      Join Date: Aug 2011       03-22-2016, 3:02 PM Reply   
I was on a Watson classic and switched to the SS Recoil and I've been really happy with it.

Last edited by Medium; 03-22-2016 at 3:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-22-2016, 6:41 PM Reply   
As someone who has rode the Watson hybrid and blue pill, I feel like they are close enough alike which is why I suggested it earlier. I feel like the rocker on the blue pill is more abrupt. Besides that, they ride a lot alike.
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-22-2016, 10:06 PM Reply   
Thanks Tim. I did some research on the blue pill and it's on my short list now. The aggressive abrubt 3 stage was my only concern with the blue pill. Don't get me wrong, I like pop and big air but what's more important to me at this stage of my riding is something predictable. Most of my riding nowadays is wake to wake. Landing in the flats every time wears me out. Blue pill still sound like it would suit me? The board I was going to buy this year was the Liquid Force Super Trip. Until I decided to maybe venture out a bit.
Old    terrybailey10            03-30-2016, 5:38 AM Reply   
Cheap slingshot boards at blemboard.com use coupon code TERRYB
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-31-2016, 4:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by beleza View Post
three liquid force boards were the Lyman, Watson Hybrid...
I used to ride, and loved, all of those boards as well. I switched Ronix a few years ago, and I'd say the Code22 and One Time Bombs would be the closest to those. The Code22 felt most similar to the Lyman, in my opinion.
Old     (TopWakeboardStyles)      Join Date: Mar 2016       03-31-2016, 7:11 PM Reply   
Liquid force has some of my favorite designs for boards. My next favorite has to be Hyperlite. The Hyperlite Machete wakeboard is one of my new favorites. It is a 3 stage rocker so it has a more aggressive pop but the bottom has a point on it so it softens the landings more. I recommend looking into it.
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-31-2016, 11:47 PM Reply   
Geez I'm realizing there are a ton of options out there. I think I've narrowed it down to the Slingshot Reflex and the Blue Pill. My main priorities are that it will be loose, consistent and land soft. My Harley has 0.7 inch fins and it's a tad too sticky for me. I've been looking all over for the old Liquid Force Lyman fins to switch them out with but can't find them. Which board is looser between the Reflex and Blue Pill?
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-01-2016, 6:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Geez I'm realizing there are a ton of options out there. I think I've narrowed it down to the Slingshot Reflex and the Blue Pill. My main priorities are that it will be loose, consistent and land soft. My Harley has 0.7 inch fins and it's a tad too sticky for me. I've been looking all over for the old Liquid Force Lyman fins to switch them out with but can't find them. Which board is looser between the Reflex and Blue Pill?
The reflex will be looser. The bottom of the blue pill has some small channels on the that help it track a little more than the reflex. The reflex has a smooth bottom. Both the blue pill and the reflex will be looser than the liquid force boards you mentioned.

I am a little surprised you would choose the Reflex over the Response. Both are the same shape except the Response is a little more stiff which helps with popping off of the wake. The Reflex is considered more of a cable board.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       04-01-2016, 6:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezul View Post
The reflex will be looser. The bottom of the blue pill has some small channels on the that help it track a little more than the reflex. The reflex has a smooth bottom. Both the blue pill and the reflex will be looser than the liquid force boards you mentioned.

I am a little surprised you would choose the Reflex over the Response. Both are the same shape except the Response is a little more stiff which helps with popping off of the wake. The Reflex is considered more of a cable board.
The Reflex and the Response are actually not the same shape at all. Slingshot's line of classic shapes goes as follows: Response (continuous rocker), Reflex (blended rocker, Recoil (3-stage rocker). The profile of each of those boards is different as well. Flex feels about the same on both, but having a bit of extra rocker on the reflex makes it pop a bit harder than the Response. They market the Reflex as a cable board, and it is by far my favorite board on cable, but it is just as capable as a boat board as the Response. If you prefer a looser, less locked-in ride, the Reflex would be a great board for you.
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-01-2016, 8:28 AM Reply   
Crap guys I'm an idiot. I meant the RECOIL not the Reflex. Recoil or Blue Pill?
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-01-2016, 11:37 AM Reply   
Blue Pill will be closer to the Lyman.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-02-2016, 4:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttime41 View Post
The Reflex and the Response are actually not the same shape at all. Slingshot's line of classic shapes goes as follows: Response (continuous rocker), Reflex (blended rocker, Recoil (3-stage rocker). The profile of each of those boards is different as well. Flex feels about the same on both, but having a bit of extra rocker on the reflex makes it pop a bit harder than the Response. They market the Reflex as a cable board, and it is by far my favorite board on cable, but it is just as capable as a boat board as the Response. If you prefer a looser, less locked-in ride, the Reflex would be a great board for you.
You are correct. My response previously about the flex was based off of my knee test in my local board shop. I felt like the Response was a little stiffer than the reflex. My knee test isn't science though.

If you are choosing between the recoil and blue pill, the blue pill will be a little more locked in. I think that is the only difference. I ride the 2014 version of the blue pill which is the same shape as the 2013/2014 SS Lyman. I have a lot of experience on the Recoil too. Both are great boards.
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-02-2016, 5:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
My Harley has 0.7 inch fins and it's a tad too sticky for me. I've been looking all over for the old Liquid Force Lyman fins to switch them out with but can't find them.
You could always just cut down/grind away the Harley fins to loosen it up.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-02-2016, 11:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelerWake View Post
You could always just cut down/grind away the Harley fins to loosen it up.
Honestly the Harley has too many built in channels which makes it a little more grippy. The fins don't have much to do with it until he sets an edge.
Old     (conrmic)      Join Date: Jan 2015       04-03-2016, 9:52 AM Reply   
Youre making a mistake man.... hyperlite Kruz. Like that Harley but better. Best board that I've had
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-03-2016, 9:20 PM Reply   
Just ordered the blue pill! Thanks for the coupon code Terry! Now I have to figure out which bindings... RADS? Will other brands of bindings fit okay on Slingshot boards?
Old     (nathanb)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-04-2016, 3:45 AM Reply   
All other brands should fit as the slingshot run the track mounts. My brother has LF bindings on his Pill
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       04-04-2016, 5:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Just ordered the blue pill! Thanks for the coupon code Terry! Now I have to figure out which bindings... RADS? Will other brands of bindings fit okay on Slingshot boards?
Nice man enjoy! thats a fun board! But yeah I have run hyperlite systems on the fast track, with only needing to use a washer or two to make sure the screw didn't bottom out, but otherwise no issues
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-05-2016, 5:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
I like the Shredtowns, my feet tend to get numb on top, the Shredtowns don't cause the numbing. The KTVs are more stiff than the Shredtowns. The RADs were pretty loose in 2014. The 2015 model improved but I have no experience with the 2015 or newer RADs. I suggest you get something from another brand if that is what you are use to. As far as the pop on the blue pill, it might take a little bit to find it. For me, I release a split second off of the wake later than a stiff board with a little more push from my rear leg. You will figure it out pretty quickly since you are an experienced rider. Enjoy. Don't forget to give us your follow up thoughts on the board.
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-05-2016, 7:31 PM Reply   
Thanks for the insight Tim. I was up for hours last night looking at tons of different bindings and was ready to order the Shredtowns but my only concern was them being all velcro and not being able to cinch them down very tight. Have you had any issues Tim? Any issues with the liners and boots being two separate pieces? I currently have the LF Shane boots and they are comfy. No complaints really. Been riding the Shane's for the last few years. My only reasoning for replacing them was the same reason as replacing my board... just ready to try something different. I am back and forth between the Shredtowns and the RADs. If getting the Shredtowns tight isn't an issue I will probably go with them.

Last edited by beleza; 04-05-2016 at 7:35 PM.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-06-2016, 3:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Thanks for the insight Tim. I was up for hours last night looking at tons of different bindings and was ready to order the Shredtowns but my only concern was them being all velcro and not being able to cinch them down very tight. Have you had any issues Tim? Any issues with the liners and boots being two separate pieces? I currently have the LF Shane boots and they are comfy. No complaints really. Been riding the Shane's for the last few years. My only reasoning for replacing them was the same reason as replacing my board... just ready to try something different. I am back and forth between the Shredtowns and the RADs. If getting the Shredtowns tight isn't an issue I will probably go with them.
Like I said, I wasn't a fan of the 2014 RADs, but that is just my opinion. I have never had any issues out of my 2014 Shredtowns. The Velcro stays snug and the linear suck to your feet and feel comfy. If I had to pick a con for them, they are a little more bulky than the ktv or rads. They also fit pretty true to size. I wear a 10 in shoes and bindings. If you like the tip of your toe to touch the end, then you may want to size down.
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-31-2016, 10:20 PM Reply   
I am in exactly the same boat you are, no pun intended. Loved the liquid force lyman for how loose it was. I'm not a take it to flats guy so that late pop of the lyman was my only complaint. I've narrowed my SS selection down to the recoil or blue pill.

Any update or feedback since you've been riding yours?
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-01-2016, 1:30 AM Reply   
Yes. Been riding the Slingshot blue pill this entire season and I am loving it. Much looser on the water and great pop. I can play around on it much easier than my old Harley. Have done alot progressing on it which is always a good sign when trying a new board. I kept my shane boots just because they are so comfy and I was afraid I would be disappointed with the slingshot boots even though I've heard great things about them
Also I wear a 9.5 shoe so I couldn't decide if I should get the size 9 or size 10 Slingshot boots. So I will stick with my Shanes (size 9-10) for now. Give Slingshot a try if you are looking for something new. Very fun board.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-01-2016, 12:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by beg4wake View Post
I have the Timebomb. You would like it a lot I feel. I actually feel that I myself may like the Slingshot Blue Pill better from what I've read on reviews and can't wait to give it a try! I do know that a super "fun" board to ride that's very loose and just a blast is the Slingshot Nomad. It's a bigger board but very buttery! Lot's of play time on that board! Good pop too with soft landings. Just not quite the board if you want to throw a lot of technical tricks or spins.
what do you like about the timebomb, describe the ride ,

I also ride a Harley and don't mind the grppy feel but I'm looking for a new board and maybe one similar to the harley maybe faster with softer landings..I don't like a loose ride behind the boat but not to tight either.. I used to ride a Bside and that was tighter but rode similar to my style as well as the S4 which was great but hard landings..

Timebomb anything like these?