Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old     (dmcguirt23)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-23-2004, 8:56 PM Reply   
does anyone have any idea how much it would be to swap the engine in my Bayliner for something like a Mercruiser 350 or even a smaller V8 engine. Right now i have a 4 cylinder 115 mercruiser but want more power so i can put more weight in it.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-23-2004, 9:09 PM Reply   
my dad just put a new engine in his chris craft deck boat, a multiport efi volvo and it was 12,000, i think you can get a new indimar for like 6 that is tbi
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-23-2004, 10:27 PM Reply   
sell your boat and buy a new one, it is WAY more cost effective.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-24-2004, 6:11 AM Reply   
Your boat was designed for a certain hp range. Your stringers are positioned and designed to take that amount of power. Swapping engines outside of a block size almost never works, and can be much more expensive than swapping boats. Mark has the right idea - don't spend money twice.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-24-2004, 10:18 AM Reply   
I agree with Mark and Karl.

The engine has to mate with the outdrive. You may be able to buy or make a bell housing that will adapt a V8 to on outdrive that was made of a 4 cylinder, but it might be a bit tricky.

You will need new motor mounts, and possibly some stringer work to support the larger motor.

I suspect that the engine compartment will be too small and you will have to make a new engine cover. If the engine sits below floor level then you might need to make some serious modifications to the floor/floation chambers in order to provide clearance for the front pulley.

You will be adding a lot more weight to the back of the boat, which might effect its stability and sea-worthieness when sitting still in the water.

You will be doubling the amount of horsepower that the outdrive has to handle. I would expect that you would start having outdrive problems very soon: slipping clutches, broken gears or shafts, seal problems, etc.

For what it would cost you to buy a new motor, make all the modifications and deal with endless problems you could go out and buy a used inboard.

Rod
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-24-2004, 4:02 PM Reply   
Im having my blown 305 replaced w/the same size and its costing around 10k.a new 350 efi will be aroud 11.5 for just the motor. + electronics. Save the cash and put it toward a nice REAL wakeboard boat. your outdrive wont be able to handle a small v8
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-25-2004, 5:37 PM Reply   
boat hulls are not made to specific engines so you could swap to a bigger motor although they are made for "up to" a specific HP. This being said id highly recommend AGAINST any change over from the existing engine due to the outdrive gear ratio change required and all the ancillary gear requiring change, IE: fuel system, ignition system, started, alternator. Dont kid yourself this isnt a car so all those parts are going to cost way more then car parts would. Sell the boat for what you can get and put the money towards another boat (not necessarily a pure bred wakeboard boat either, but you need a V8 to make it easier to board)