Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       01-30-2012, 8:22 PM Reply   
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-30-2012, 9:06 PM Reply   
*cable

**TS BS 1080

Not trying to be a hater, I could never do that trick. Just saying what is about to be said ad nauseam...
Old     (hockeysk8er222)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-30-2012, 9:06 PM Reply   
He did rotate most of the first 180 before he was in the air, but nonetheless thats pretty sweet!
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       01-30-2012, 9:26 PM Reply   
Hahaha... Just sharing what it says....

Can of Worms opened

Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-30-2012, 9:33 PM Reply   
Not a 1260, but still pretty awesome. Respect!
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       01-31-2012, 7:58 AM Reply   
Nice, looked pretty smooth to.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-31-2012, 2:43 PM Reply   
Sooo sick. But yeah a TS BS 10 fasho
Attached Images

Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       01-31-2012, 4:07 PM Reply   
pre spin 180, so a 1080, good stuff though
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-31-2012, 6:21 PM Reply   
has a 1260 been done before? In the air obviously.

If he can hold off on spinning for a fraction of a second longer that would be soooo sick! (as if it wasnt cool already)
Old     (snoopy1173)      Join Date: May 2010       01-31-2012, 6:41 PM Reply   
People are so picky! I understand he left the ramp after already spinning about 180 degrees, but where does the specificity end. If he spun a little bit would we call it a heelside 1170? I wonder if its even possible to do a 1260 without a little pre spin. I think riding on wake is the only way not to pre spin. Lol if you tried to pre spin off the wake you'd catch such a nice edge! Hands down this guy takes the cake on spinning technique, so smooth!
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-31-2012, 7:13 PM Reply   
I never pre spin off kickers. Ever. I pop, pause, and then spin. It's not complicated. You have to make a conscious effort to pre spin. Danny Harf did a 1260 off the double up in 2009.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-31-2012, 7:56 PM Reply   
idk how I forgot about harfs 1260.. 2009 seems so long ago!
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-31-2012, 8:08 PM Reply   
In wakeboarding years, 2009 was indeed a long time ago!
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-31-2012, 9:15 PM Reply   
Yo. So what's the maximum pivoting allowed on a jump before its called a pre-spin?

Up to 45 degrees?

Then it's called a Zeach?
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-31-2012, 9:47 PM Reply   
Zero degrees. Why is this so complicated? People seem to be insinuating that you can't spin without pre spinning. If you can't initiate the spin in the air and finish it in time for the landing, then you can't do the spin. If it isn't possible to do a 1260 off a kicker without any pre spin, then it isn't possible to do a 1260 off a kicker.
Old     (rmotoxxx711)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-31-2012, 9:57 PM Reply   
It's pretty basic, if you think about it if you can't go off the wake doing a 45• spin then you cant leave the kicker doing that (you totally can it's only if your worried about it being labeled a pre spin). If you really wanna avoid it just stick to the basics of spinning behind the boat but off the kicker, pop then pull on the handle to start your spin

I'm not a fan of pre spins at all but I'd be lieing out of my you know what if I said that wasn't impressive as hell
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-01-2012, 5:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmotoxxx711 View Post

I'm not a fan of pre spins at all but I'd be lieing out of my you know what if I said that wasn't impressive as hell
Think this is the general consensus! Sick sick spin though.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-01-2012, 3:42 PM Reply   
snowboarders somewhat pre-spin but not like THAT^^
Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-02-2012, 1:03 PM Reply   
not prespinnin, not zeaching, its all part of your style, if you want sketchy style thats undefined and all over the place, please go ahead and prespin, its a form of expression in a way that you decide how to do the tricks you want, if you want to look like you don't have control over your board, or want to take an easy way out, then go ahead, but to me its not going to look as good.
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-02-2012, 7:41 PM Reply   
It is what it is. He's the first person to do a pre-spin HS 1260, which is still a massive accomplishment obviously. It is a first! And as with any first in wakeboarding, it should be celebrated for what it is.

If you were to simply ask "was it a 1260?", than no! It would have been dis-counted had it been in competition.

But if you think about it, even when your cutting heelside towards the wake, you are not completely parallel with the wake. You take off on a bit of an angle, unless you are doing a tantrum. So even an HS 180 is technically not a full 180 degree turn off the wake. I personally would be satisfied if someone took off of a kicker on the same angle you would take off from a wake... but then again, that itself could be debated a little too!

Anyways, that's my opinion.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       02-02-2012, 10:26 PM Reply   
Greg smith probably the first logical comment in this whole thread, you nailed it man.

As for yeahhh, dude seriously? In the other thread you call Dan Grants double ole 1080 "dirty" and in this thread Matty Haslers 12 "taking the easy way out" just curious but have you even ridden cable?
Old     (Anaru)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-03-2012, 12:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesydog View Post
Greg smith probably the first logical comment in this whole thread, you nailed it man.

As for yeahhh, dude seriously? In the other thread you call Dan Grants double ole 1080 "dirty" and in this thread Matty Haslers 12 "taking the easy way out" just curious but have you even ridden cable?
Just curious has he ever landed any of these? Or is he the troll of the site lol no stab intended im the newb here haha
Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-03-2012, 8:31 AM Reply   
heya, I'm just saying what greg said, its not a full 1260 and everyone is geeking out about it. I would just like to see wakeboarding go in a good direction. Clean well executed tricks with no shortcuts like prespinning, I don't know why everybody has a problem with that..
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-03-2012, 12:39 PM Reply   
Anaru, please refer to the LWA thread.

Probably not, but he is definately qualified to comment.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-03-2012, 2:45 PM Reply   
I still think theres a huge difference in the momentum one gets from spinning off a kicker and spinning once off the wake, even if you are at a slight angle.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       02-03-2012, 7:59 PM Reply   
ah.. its all good.. I get a little feisty since Im mates with both Dan and Matty, and they are 2 of the best cable riders in the world. So when they are pushing the sport further I get a little bummed when guys seem to focus more on the negative stuff.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-04-2012, 10:15 AM Reply   
I feel like as long as there are boat riders and people pre-spinning off of kickers, there will always be a bias towards their moves, even if its a frikin 1260 lol
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-10-2012, 1:19 PM Reply   
Thanks Mark!

But yea I'm sure Matt has seen the video of his pre-spin 1260 several times, and is quite aware of the fact that he pre-spun it. He's only going to get better with time and I'm sure he'll try to make it more legit. We will probably see this sooner than later I imagine, if not from him, than someone else. I really think 1260s are coming soon. There are so many people that can do 10s now.

The whole debate about the legitimacy of tricks reminds me of something I was trying to do. I was trying to land my first TS Frontroll. I finally stuck one! However, when I landed, I under-rotated the trick a bit and ended up falling back on my ass. I skid on my ass for a few seconds and then in order to stand up, I had to do a surface 180 (while still on my ass) in order to turn the board heelside and ride away. I started to wonder afterwards whether I could truly say I had landed a frontroll or not. Then I realized that regardless of what happened, it was still something I had never accomplished before... and I celebrated it that night with a number of beers. Haha. My goal next year is to stick one and ride away on my toe edge to make it more legit.

You can actually see what I'm talking about in my video. It's the last trick in the video! It's around the 3:46 mark. Just out of curiosity, would you call this a "frontroll" ???

Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-10-2012, 2:29 PM Reply   
^^thats how I landed my first 20 somethin ts frontrolls.. lol
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       02-10-2012, 4:03 PM Reply   
So, verdict is Not Legit, right?
Let's do this right.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       02-10-2012, 4:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_smith View Post
I really liked this video. I like seeing real riders in real settings. You should be proud of this. Awesome Approved!
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-10-2012, 6:55 PM Reply   
Thanks man! I worked hard on the video and it's definitely cool when other legit wakeboarders pay compliments. I may not be throwin crow 5s or anything.. but i try to think outside the box a little, and be creative with things that I'm actually capable or doing.

Much appreciated!
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-15-2012, 11:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_smith View Post
But if you think about it, even when your cutting heelside towards the wake, you are not completely parallel with the wake. You take off on a bit of an angle, unless you are doing a tantrum. So even an HS 180 is technically not a full 180 degree turn off the wake.
I have to disagree with this one. You dont take off going completely perpendicular to the boat direction, but you also dont land completely perpendicular to the boat direction. There used to be a Malibu ad that showed the trail from the board before and after a wake jump, but any overhead shot of any sort of wake jump will show the rider landing and riding away at the same angle as takeoff. So W2W spins are complete 180s, 360s, and so on.
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-16-2012, 7:10 PM Reply   
Ben,

I can definitely see the point you're trying to get at, and maybe generally you might be correct when it comes to the HS 180. However, the harder you cut, the more of an angle you're coming in at. With some really hard cuts, you could already be turned almost 90 degrees, and you wouldn't land on as an extreme of an angle as you cut in on. But yes, generally speaking you are probably right!

Maybe a toeside 180 is a better example.
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-16-2012, 7:15 PM Reply   
Also, another good example would be an HS raley with a frontside 180. The rider would almost have to land with his back to the boat in order to do a complete 180.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-16-2012, 7:29 PM Reply   
Im pretty sure all my 180's on the wake are full 180's..

but honestly, theres a HUGE difference between a 180 and a 1260 so I cant support that argument entirely lol
Old     (Anaru)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-16-2012, 7:40 PM Reply   
Lets get out the protractor and measure every single jump to make sure they are accurately done. It's the only way lol
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       02-17-2012, 6:59 AM Reply   
Quote:

I really liked this video. I like seeing real riders in real settings. You should be proud of this. Awesome Approved!
Great stuff Greg. Reminds me a lot of how my crew was in the beginning. Just stoked to be on the water and any progression we made was fist pump worthy!

Awesome Approved indeed!
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-17-2012, 7:51 PM Reply   
Hey man thanks!

Yeah the videos are a lot of work, but it's worth doing once every couple of years. I've made a few since I started wakeboarding about a decade ago. It's definitely cool to have something to look back on, and when the day comes where i can't wakeboard like that anymore, I think I'll definitely be glad I took the time to film and edit this stuff.
Old     (Anaru)      Join Date: Jan 2012       03-03-2012, 6:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesydog View Post
ah.. its all good.. I get a little feisty since Im mates with both Dan and Matty, and they are 2 of the best cable riders in the world. So when they are pushing the sport further I get a little bummed when guys seem to focus more on the negative stuff.
Matty works at my local cable, top guy and give us all help when we ask! he was helping me with my raleys, i landed bad and couldnt pick up the sacks to try it again haha. spent the next 30min going up and down the 2.0 lol. Matty if u reading this u know who i am hahaha

As for Matty pushing the sport id have to agree. Im pretty new to it all, 4months boarding and if there wasnt guys like Matty at my park helping us to progress i dare say i wouldnt go or be as interested in it as i am.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-03-2012, 6:41 PM Reply   
Yes, yes, no doubt he's a top bloke, but he didn't do a 1260...yet
Old     (rmotoxxx711)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-03-2012, 7:30 PM Reply   
Did anyone mention he pre spun? (pun intended obviously)
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-04-2012, 12:49 PM Reply   
Yeah rite I mean he pre spun and it was on cable to! Did anyone mention that to? Has he seen the video? Has anyone ever stuck this on trampoline board, or like off of a really lively diving board?
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-05-2012, 1:43 PM Reply   
Funny how a lot of the industries top professionals from boat and cable were there and all of them lit up instigram and Facebook with news of Matty's HS 1260. Maybe if most of the people on this forum spent half the time riding as they did analyzing videos on the interwebs they too could live the life they try to over analyze in videos...
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-05-2012, 2:33 PM Reply   
We aint all professionals buddy, some of us gotta work/go to college to make a living. Plus, try living in NY and wakeboarding during the winter.
Old     (Anaru)      Join Date: Jan 2012       03-17-2012, 8:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_vilfo View Post
We aint all professionals buddy, some of us gotta work/go to college to make a living. Plus, try living in NY and wakeboarding during the winter.
The trick was done at a comp, recognized by the judges and every other pro. Yet a few here feel that against it that u can't accept it was done in any form or way.

All I read here by your post that u are not good enough to be a pro and make up excuses why u can't wakeboard yr round. IF u were skilled enough you'd have sponsors and possibly be a pro. Yet u are not good enough so u can sit behind your key board and judge others.

Some people here need to pull their heads out their bums.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-17-2012, 8:17 PM Reply   
ya thats exactly what I'm implying ^^ lol
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-17-2012, 8:18 PM Reply   
So...if you're not a pro then you shouldn't criticize pros?
Old     (Anaru)      Join Date: Jan 2012       03-18-2012, 1:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHebrewHammer View Post
So...if you're not a pro then you shouldn't criticize pros?
No my point is I can appreciate his skills as I'm no where close, it seems it's just a case of tall poppy going on. Easier to sit back and say it's **** then actually do it ey...
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-18-2012, 6:57 AM Reply   
Sure. That's what the internet is for. We handle the ****-talking and leave the 1260s to the pros
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       03-18-2012, 5:10 PM Reply   
What if i pop and spin before i leave the kicker? is that still prespinning, im in the air, so it isn't spinning on the surface of the feature. but at the same time in a video, it won't look any different lol I do this often.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-18-2012, 5:30 PM Reply   
No. It will look different. Trust me. If you take off before you reach the lip, you're still "in the air" and you have "left the kicker".