Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       09-09-2014, 3:24 PM Reply   
So I see slingshot are bringing out a longboard (the Nomad) in 150-155-160cm sizes. While I'm not so sure for intermediate to advanced riders who need low swing weight, I'm thinking for all the beginners I teach (particularly football players) a really big board could make things easier.

What are your thoughts?
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       09-09-2014, 3:26 PM Reply   
ps. Link to the board and blurb here:

http://www.slingshotsports.com/2015-Nomad#.VA99VYE0Wm4
Old     (kevSML)      Join Date: Jun 2014       09-09-2014, 3:32 PM Reply   
I think it will be used for beginners and people who have bad knees/older people. That bigger surface area could really help out on landings. Especially when you combine the fact that all slingshot boards have soft landings as it is. I don't think you'll see anyone doing 900s on that thing. But you can definitely ride it hard into the flats with big airs. Carving/buttering for days too
Old     (kevSML)      Join Date: Jun 2014       09-09-2014, 3:36 PM Reply   
Also it is kinda a neat idea when you think about how other board industries have similar stuff. Longboards for skateboarding and surfing. Also there are plenty of super long/powder specific snowboards out there that people love. I just wonder if wakeboarding is big enough of a sport for this to latch on to the older/soul surfer crowd out there.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-09-2014, 4:35 PM Reply   
honestly if any company can pull it off its SS. They have done a good job of bring different things to market. Also being made in USA makes doing small niche things much easier than having to order in container size volumes from our friends in China that get free labor. I would love to ride one see how it feels. I did see it and pick it up at surf expo have to say it was pretty damn light.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-09-2014, 8:03 PM Reply   
And now all those threads about big dudes looking for boards will be easier to answer.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-09-2014, 9:44 PM Reply   
I would love to see how a 155 would do on my normal riding. I'm 6'1" and 170 and ride a 146. Was a struggle to get my head to accept that considering the last 4 years I rode a 147. Couldn't imagine going any smaller. But a bigger board would mean even more pop and even smoother landings. The whole swing weight thing is just a head game IMO. Look at Randall. Not sure of the exact size of his board but I know it's roughly the size of mine and he is quite a bit smaller than me. Still goes ginormous, spins like a top and stomps everything.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-10-2014, 3:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidarider View Post
I would love to see how a 155 would do on my normal riding. I'm 6'1" and 170 and ride a 146. Was a struggle to get my head to accept that considering the last 4 years I rode a 147. Couldn't imagine going any smaller. But a bigger board would mean even more pop and even smoother landings. The whole swing weight thing is just a head game IMO. Look at Randall. Not sure of the exact size of his board but I know it's roughly the size of mine and he is quite a bit smaller than me. Still goes ginormous, spins like a top and stomps everything.
I agree. I am on a 142cm and I would love to ride the 160cm. I am 31 yrs old and my knees aren't getting any younger on my 5'9" 230lb frame. If they are as light and someone mentioned earlier, I will definitely be interested.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-10-2014, 3:53 AM Reply   
Intrigued as well. I've always said I would ride a 150+ board if anyone ever made one. I'm 6'3" 220 and the thought of an extra inch or so on the tip tail makes a lot of sense. I'd have a hard time giving up my Response 145 though cause I love the way it rides.

I rode the recoil 146 behind the boat for a while but found it too wide and too sticky. I would demo one of these Nomads, but a response 152 would be the ticket, no wider than the current 145 and same shape just a bit more tip and tail for the tall boys.

Maybe the trend will catch on, everyone thought wood core boards were stupid at first and now nearly everyone is copying. I hope SS got a patent on the all-wood core wakeboard
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-10-2014, 3:54 AM Reply   
The product video does look a bit ridiculous with Dylan riding that long board with his narrower than most stance. They shoulda had McKee ride it he's fairly tall for a wakeboarder I think?
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-10-2014, 7:43 AM Reply   
Ditto here. I have tried getting board companies to make bigger boards for 20 years. it's hilarious that at 6'3 300 Lbs I ride the same board as guys on tour that are half my weight. Not sure that flex is the answer for me due to weight, but would love to try it for sure.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-10-2014, 7:46 AM Reply   
So who in NorCall will have this to demo? hate to buy one considering I have never even tried one of their boards, but have heard great things.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-10-2014, 7:58 AM Reply   
Mr. Buffalo, It has been a while since I have seen any edits out of you. They are always fun to watch.

I've got a dude in my neighborhood that is about your size with 5-10 inverts or so. It is awesome to watch, but tough to drive.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-10-2014, 8:55 AM Reply   
Thanx Justin. I still ride a bunch but no filming any more. I leave that up to the young kids. I am thankful for the new MB and GPS we ride behind because the speed holds perfect even when my big butt pulls it. I remember years and years of my drivers having to accelerate a few miles an hour ever time I laid into one.
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-11-2014, 7:21 AM Reply   
I might have a hook up to do a demo. Let me see what I can put together. Callen and Buffalo I will let you know if I can get my hands on one. I am also super interested due to my jacked up knee.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-11-2014, 9:22 AM Reply   
SUPER SUPER Stoked. I have the 160 Nomad coming my way this week/early next week. Can't wait to try it. I'll keep you posted. Makes a ton of sense
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-11-2014, 10:50 AM Reply   
Jason post up a review please.
Compare/contrast to your current ride.
Thanks!
Old     (Dj2up10)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-11-2014, 7:44 PM Reply   
I've got one coming to our park (Westrockwakepark.com) next Monday as well-160 w/the new Option boots. I've heard nothing but great things from people who've ridden it behind boat-over the top stuff like, "I haven't had this much fun in a while" etc.

It makes a ton of sense to me and I really don't see it as a gimmick whatsoever.

Will report back for sure.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-12-2014, 9:27 AM Reply   
Do the boards come with bindings or sex wax?
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-12-2014, 10:19 AM Reply   
I hear when you open the box it is full of fake snow... I kid. I can tell you that if it is anything like I think it will be, I can convert 20 people out the shoot that are bigger/older/bad knees etc that have been waiting for something like this. Since I fit all 3 of those categories should be a no brainer.
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-12-2014, 10:51 AM Reply   
I love my slingshot. I cant wait to try the Nomad
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-12-2014, 11:51 AM Reply   
I would be all over something like this and truthfully it's about time. I've said it for years that there isn't a board for the big guys. I'm 6' 220lbs myself. I ride a 163cm snowboard and it still feels small so any of these boards for water would probably be great.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-15-2014, 6:37 PM Reply   
I got mine today. Headed out tomorrow. We will let you know. It is huge! I am concerned that it will just flex to much with my weight and make it very slow, but we shall see.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-15-2014, 6:47 PM Reply   
pics or it didn't happen
Old     (miljack)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-16-2014, 4:34 AM Reply   
bumpage for the review!
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-17-2014, 6:54 AM Reply   
big boy wanting to know as well!
Old     (jeffhouse)      Join Date: Sep 2014       09-17-2014, 11:17 AM Reply   
Hey guys. I've ridden the 160 Nomad a few times. I posted a review of it on Slingshot's website. Check it out here. It made me want to ride a bigger board. Everyone should check it out.

http://www.slingshotsports.com/2015-Nomad

-Jeff House
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-17-2014, 6:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffhouse View Post
Hey guys. I've ridden the 160 Nomad a few times. I posted a review of it on Slingshot's website. Check it out here. It made me want to ride a bigger board. Everyone should check it out.

http://www.slingshotsports.com/2015-Nomad

-Jeff House
Thanks for your review. I plan to pick one up next spring. My old ass can't handle anymore rough landings.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-18-2014, 8:03 AM Reply   
Hey guys, I wanted to give you my update on the 160 Nomad. Those that know me, know my size and riding capabilities understand that I have tried and broke hundreds of boards and tried almost every board in the last 20 years. Those that don't know me, the short version is 6'3 300 lbs, been riding 20 years and lost way more tricks that I currently do. I still have several inverts and spins and working each ride on getting those old tricks back.

My current set up is 23'MB TWB loaded up pretty good, 27 MPH and 85' of rope. I rode the Nomad twice on Tuesday in not so ideal conditions. I can say that I have never rode anything like it. Not saying it is the best or worse just yet, but I did not hate it. There is ZERO friction or drag on the board. So when I pulled out to the side, the board accelerates and I ended up on the side of the boat and going faster than the boat. I can reference it that it is like a kneeboard or tube that shoots past the boat. When I cut in, I can feel the flex, but very different than the foam cores I have rode forever. The first set was just a feeling out period. The second set was much better and I hit most of my tricks. I tried 24-27 Mph and 80-85' of rope. I think I would end up at 85' and 25 mph guessing.

The biggest things I noticed is the length plus the wider stance allowed a far superior stable ride for me. I found myself landing and riding away from small mistakes that I normally would crash. In the choppy water, I did not even feel it which is opposite of normal. Normally a rough/choppy day , I am the first guy back in the boat so I don't beat my self up. I logged probably 1.5 hours of the board and never felt winded or sore, plus I did not take one hard crash. The other thing I noticed was that the spins were considerably slower - probably swing weight + wider stance.

So overall great first day. I expect that another day and I will really figure it out. I think for guys that are used to slower boat speeds and/or not as agressive as I ride, this board will be everything you have looked for. It is smooth, good kick and lands crazy soft. I could see for me that it might be better it if was a bit stiffer, but I need a few more days to make sure.

I'll have more tomorrow or Saturday on my next sessions.
Old     (miljack)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-18-2014, 8:17 AM Reply   
@ Jason

Thanks and more!
Old     (shagman)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-18-2014, 1:41 PM Reply   
I look forward riding one of these, wearing it out, and finally having the picnic table top to complete my wakeboard bench.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       09-18-2014, 3:20 PM Reply   
Thanks Jason! Keep us updated with more as you go if you can. My mates are around your size and are getting excited!

@Nick Top call sir
Old     (jhilltn)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-19-2014, 12:34 PM Reply   
stance should be the same as any of the normal slingshot boards. i don't think they made the tracks further apart.

i rode this the other day. a lot of fun. very smooth. could go big and do all the same tricks.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-19-2014, 12:37 PM Reply   
What size did you ride? Im not sure if I am going to get the 155 or 160.
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-27-2014, 8:25 AM Reply   
bump

very interested in this...
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       09-27-2014, 9:05 AM Reply   
This was posted on SlingShots Instagram, so I wonder if we will see a little Alliance write up or video on these boards.

Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-29-2014, 7:45 AM Reply   
Here is my buddy holding up my 142 Fusion and the 150 Slingshot Nomad to give you a comparison. I have a few more sets on the board and overall I love it. It is so smooth start to finish and I notice that I am not taking the little crashes I normally take if I don't land perfect. My inverts seem to be slower and smoother. My spins are much slower. I am still figuring out the pop all the way, but it is really fun. I am looking forward to try all 3 sizes to be able to compare.I think it is encouraging that may also "force" the other companies to take notice. If boats today are being boat by 40+ year old wake surfing dads, this just makes sense to create a wakeboard to match that audience.
Attached Images

Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-29-2014, 7:55 AM Reply   
Interesting to hear that it's helping your landings. I guess that's expected since larger surface area can help stabilize the landings.

I would love to demo one.
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-29-2014, 8:42 AM Reply   
Jason the above post you put 150. I thought you had the 160 or did you get another one.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-29-2014, 9:18 AM Reply   
That must be a larger board because that looks like it's almost 8" longer and not 8cm longer.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-30-2014, 7:56 AM Reply   
Don - You are correct that is a 160, not a 150. I will be trying out a 155 next week to compare.
Old     (Dj2up10)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-30-2014, 11:58 AM Reply   
We've had the 160 in our rental fleet for about 2 weeks now and couldn't be happier with it. It has been such a help for obviously larger guys but just a perfect board to get people doing the turns quicker on the system 2 at slower speeds. WILL be ordering a 150/55 for next full season for sure.

I wouldn't be surprised if SS puts a proper slider base on it down the road as well. The thing is simply fun to ride.
Old     (mcwake)      Join Date: Mar 2009       10-01-2014, 9:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj2up10 View Post
We've had the 160 in our rental fleet for about 2 weeks now and couldn't be happier with it. It has been such a help for obviously larger guys but just a perfect board to get people doing the turns quicker on the system 2 at slower speeds. WILL be ordering a 150/55 for next full season for sure.

I wouldn't be surprised if SS puts a proper slider base on it down the road as well. The thing is simply fun to ride.
I couldn't agree more with my buddy here. I have 2 days one the boat (1 on butta the other on tuber chop) and 4 or 5 days on the 2.0 and it is so much fun to ride. I am 6'1" 220 lbs and it works like a champ. I am riding a 160. Tried it finless behind the boat and that board has so much edge you don't miss the fins at all. Super soft landings, pop is unreal. Rides chop better than anything because it is a boat. The edge to edge response takes some getting used to, but it is a natural transition, so not super complicated.

What I loved about it on the cable is there is so much tail to snap your ollie off of, it feels more like a snowboard ollie, which for me is more natural. I like in Utah so I get a lot more snow days in a year, so if you are a snowboarder this board is a natural transition, and for me more comfortable on the water as it is more familiar to what I am used to. Plus I felt comfortable to ollie and land on my nose in a press. When you are 220lbs it is easy to flex out a press too much or get too much weight in the front seat, but that was never an issue with this board.

A buddy of mine rode it too, he is an amazing rider, I don't think he was sold on making it his primary but he was sold on the idea of having it in the quiver. For me I have never ridden a board that put this big of a smile on my face. I don't know if it will be a primary board for everyone, but it is one to have in the quiver or on the boat, just get out and try one.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-02-2014, 1:37 AM Reply   
Fantastic news. great to see this for so many people and so many reasons
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-02-2014, 9:00 AM Reply   
Jordan that is great to hear as a rider in similar height and weight. I really want to try one of these boards now but it will have to wait until next season unfortunately. I am really pumped to get on one of these though!
Old     (mcwake)      Join Date: Mar 2009       10-02-2014, 9:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrider View Post
Jordan that is great to hear as a rider in similar height and weight. I really want to try one of these boards now but it will have to wait until next season unfortunately. I am really pumped to get on one of these though!

Go for it man, I think you will dig it. To me this board represents what wakeboarding is about; having fun. I have two kids of my own, I can keep in the shape I need to to charge everythime I ride, but I can have fun without feeling the need to go for it. But it also does perform well should I decide to pretend I am 17 and not 32
Old     (mcwake)      Join Date: Mar 2009       10-02-2014, 9:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrider View Post

Go for it man, I think you will dig it. To me this board represents what wakeboarding is about; having fun. I have two kids of my own, I can't keep in the shape I need to to charge everythime I ride, but I can have fun without feeling the need to go for it. But it also does perform well should I decide to pretend I am 17 and not 32
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-03-2014, 2:01 PM Reply   
I just got the Nomad 160 and I'm really looking forward to trying it out. It definitely looks bigger in person than I was anticipating. Longboarding here I come!!
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-06-2014, 8:17 AM Reply   
It's crazy that my binding can actually go shoulder with for the first time in 20 years of wakeboaring. Also it's crazy the first time you do a tail press - cause you can press it almost perpendicular to the water and that is something I could not do on a foam board. And when you press a 160, that's a lot of wood above water....
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       10-06-2014, 8:44 AM Reply   
Here is the write up from Chase Heavener and Matt Staker on their Fiction Life website. Includes some pictures as well.

http://fctn.tv/blog/fctn-slingshot/
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       10-16-2014, 11:09 AM Reply   
I ordered the 155 Nomad and should have it at California Marine Sports next week. I'll post up some pictures of it when it comes in. Glad to hear this thing is getting such great reviews
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       10-17-2014, 6:34 AM Reply   
I am gonna go ride a 160 version today. Jason is kind enough to let me borrow his. I am 6'5" and 250. I have a really jacked up left knee and am curious if it will help. My main board now is a Slingshot Response, i ride it finless. I will post back with my review.
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       10-18-2014, 6:35 AM Reply   
Ok a mini review.
Thanks a ton to Jason Buffalow for lending me his 160 Nomad. We were supposed to hook up and ride yesterday. He was ill so he couldnt make it unfortunately. He although made sure to have the board there for me to try. Thanks for going over the top to let me get on this stick.

I am an average rider, No jumping due to knee issues, 6'5" 250. I moved my bindings from my response 145 to this beast, It seemed huge on the boat. I was like OMG how am i gonna ride this tank. I jumped in and within 10 seconds. I felt like I have been riding this all my life.Even on the get up(prostart), I popped out of the water faster than ever, this saves u wear and tear on the getup alone. It felt natural and an extension of my body. It carves unbelievable. When you hook it you better be ready it grabs and goes. The sweet spot is amazing, it rides really flat, kinda like a camber board forces you to do. I rode cuffed for a little while still felt great so I figured why not. I was able to to a surface 9 with no issues. It spun flat and easy.Oh the Tail presses are amazing. Completely verticall for a long as you want.

I texted Jason and asked if I could borrow it for another day, He was so gracious and said absolutely. So today we will be out and I am gonna throw my whole bag of tricks at it. I will try to have a friend shoot some pictures today. I will post back with pictures tomorrow.

If you are a bigger ridder, you know who you are. This is the board for you.
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       10-21-2014, 3:47 PM Reply   
Here is a couple shot from Saturday. I am definately gonna get on of these. This board is epic. A friend of mine took it to the flats and said it lands really soft. Everyone needs to ride one of these.
Attached Images

Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       10-21-2014, 9:52 PM Reply   
I received the first half of my 2015 slingshot order for California Marine Sports today and the 155 Nomad came in. The overl size difference compared to a 145 Response was the first thing I noticed and it goes without saying its a big board, but it's light. The weight difference between the two is hardly noticeable. The graphics look great, the flex appears to be perfect for a board of its size and with the riding it's intended for.

I wish I had ordered a 150 and was able to demo it because this thing looks fun! Loving the reviews Don and Jason have given this board and I can't wait to see this open up the door for the older guys and bigger dudes who want to shred.

Great job to Slingshot on this.

I'll post up some pictures tomorrow when I get back to the shop.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-23-2014, 9:07 AM Reply   
Don, why were you guys riding it finless?
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       10-23-2014, 6:23 PM Reply   
Seth, I quit jumping about 2 years ago due to how bad my one knee is.So all I do is surface stuff, spins and slides, nose and tail press etc. so I'd don't need the fins. I have ridden finless so long when I get in a board with any type of fin it feels locked in for me. I love being on a loose board .
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       10-24-2014, 10:50 AM Reply   
Seth, I ride my Slingshot Reflex behind the boat with no fins and have no problems with edge hold. I spent 7 years wakeskating finless before I got back on a wakeboard and anything with fins, even molded in makes it feel to locked in for me.

The Slingshots also have thin rails and once on edge they hold really well. Makes the board more playful too.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-27-2014, 7:08 AM Reply   
Hey scuba steve do you ever make it over to wimpys on the delta? I need a scuba guy to try to find my gopro in about 10 or 12 feet of delta water...ie not clear. Can you help a guy out or know someone I could ask. I pretty much know where it is.
Old     (mcwake)      Join Date: Mar 2009       11-19-2014, 9:31 PM Reply   
A little update from on my experience. I just got back from a 10 day trip through Texas. I rode 5 different cables on the trip, and I loved the board at the cable. The reviewer above made the comment it felt like and extension of his body, and he couldn't be more spot on. I loved the board. It shreds rails, landings off the kickers was super smooth, presses are so easy and locked in. I couldn't be happier with this board.

One thing I realized on this trip, I have been riding the same size board 142 cm (+/- 2cm) since I was I was 17 (6'1" 170 lbs then) now I am 32 (6'1" 225 lbs...hopefully). Logically it doesn't make sense to ride the same size board 50+ lbs later. This board just fits, I get the comments all the time "that is as long as your snowboard" and actually it is a cm longer (I am on the 160cm Nomad), but who cares about how long it is, for me it feels right.

I let probably a dozen people demo my board at the different cables, and they all came back with a smile on their faces. Not all of them where of the stature where riding this board would be appealing, but they loved it. About half of those who road this board were guys who had never ridden, in the age range of 35-55, and all 200+ lbs, and most of them popped up first try on the 2.0 and were able to negotiate turns. This is honestly the easiest board to ride for a beginner, so if you are a boat owner that hosts a lot of newbies picking up with board to keep on the boat is a good idea, and probably be a good investment instead of burning a bunch of fuel teaching others to ride, or you can throw them on this board and all that surface area will pop them right up
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-20-2014, 9:34 AM Reply   
I have been riding the same size board 142 cm (+/- 2cm) since I was I was 17 (6'1" 170 lbs then) now I am 32 (6'1" 225 lbs...hopefully). Logically it doesn't make sense to ride the same size board 50+ lbs later

This is how I've always felt as well. I'm pretty much the same height and weight as you. My snowboard is a 163cm and to me it still feels small partially because I have my snowboard setup pretty much the same as my wakeboard....ducked and centered from tip to tail for riding switch. It's hard to believe it's taken this long for a bigger board to come out, but I'm glad it has. It seems as the industry is focused on the youth of the sport opposed to the older generation that may still be out there riding. Not everyone that rides is a buck 80 and 5' nothing.....we are men (pound hand on chest, gorilla like)
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       11-20-2014, 12:18 PM Reply   
I got a 160 and I rode it for a day and I was really blown away by the fact that it didn't feel much different from the board I normally ride, a CWB Vibe 142. It felt like it landed softer (which seems kind of counter-intuitive to me), but other than that I didn't really notice the larger size. Keep in mind that I'm no spin master, so it may not be as noticeable to me. Anyway, I feel like I need to put some more time on the board because I feel like it should feel more different given the big size difference. Maybe Slingshot is on to something. Maybe we've been making boards too small.
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-20-2014, 1:30 PM Reply   
Gentlemen,

I will be becoming a boat owner once again this coming spring. the Nomad is on THE top of my list of boards. I am just looking for softer landings, decreased work to ride, and hoping to learn to press like the guys in the above pictures. I am 6' 210lbs (hoepfully <200 by then). I usually ride 142ish boards. I feel like if I am going big, the 160 should be the way to go, i mean the 155 is only 2.5" longer on each side. what is the consensus for sizing these monsters?

thanks
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       11-20-2014, 1:39 PM Reply   
Go big. I'd like to try a 170 or 180 and keep going up until the ride gets worse. Too bad 160 is it...for now.
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       11-20-2014, 1:57 PM Reply   
http://calmarinesports.com/wakeboard...hot-nomad.html

Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-20-2014, 2:12 PM Reply   
I am 5'9 and 230lbs with a potential of getting down to 200lbs (not in the near future). What is the suggested size for me considering all three fit the bill?
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       11-20-2014, 3:22 PM Reply   
With your height, Id stick with the 150 or 155.
Old     (mcwake)      Join Date: Mar 2009       11-21-2014, 12:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by newwhit View Post
Gentlemen,

I will be becoming a boat owner once again this coming spring. the Nomad is on THE top of my list of boards. I am just looking for softer landings, decreased work to ride, and hoping to learn to press like the guys in the above pictures. I am 6' 210lbs (hoepfully <200 by then). I usually ride 142ish boards. I feel like if I am going big, the 160 should be the way to go, i mean the 155 is only 2.5" longer on each side. what is the consensus for sizing these monsters?

thanks
I don't think either the 155 or the 160 are a bad choice. Personally I wanted to try something radically different, so I opted for 160.

In a perfect world (meaning unlimited funds, or unlimited free product, I would ride the 155 for cable and a 160 for boat.

If you get the 160 the very worst from all of the feedback from people who rode my board is they would want one as a quiver board, some said it wouldn't be their primary board, but one they would want on the boat and ride it just to shake things up.

One tip, and this isn't a criticism of the board, the edge to edge response is quite a bit slower, so factor that in when edging into the wake, that was the only thing I needed to get used to.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-22-2014, 7:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwake View Post
I don't think either the 155 or the 160 are a bad choice. Personally I wanted to try something radically different, so I opted for 160.

In a perfect world (meaning unlimited funds, or unlimited free product, I would ride the 155 for cable and a 160 for boat.

If you get the 160 the very worst from all of the feedback from people who rode my board is they would want one as a quiver board, some said it wouldn't be their primary board, but one they would want on the boat and ride it just to shake things up.

One tip, and this isn't a criticism of the board, the edge to edge response is quite a bit slower, so factor that in when edging into the wake, that was the only thing I needed to get used to.
I am too big to be a carving ninja. A slower edge to edge sounds good to be. The more I hear about the board, the more I like it.
Old     (miljack)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-12-2015, 1:55 PM Reply   
Just bumping this thread along to see who's ridden the Nomad and what their reviews are?

thanks!
Old     (flapjack)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-13-2015, 6:52 AM Reply   
Any place in DFW to demo one of these?
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-14-2015, 7:30 AM Reply   
I have ridden is serval times. I find that it is super fun for cruising, pressing, sliding, basic spins. While I can do my inverts on it, I have yet to really figure out the pop on it. I am a big guy so it may be that I am a bit heavy for it or could be that a 155 would be better suited. It feels like if it was a bit stiffer, than it would be golden for me. I often ride my other board first and than switch to these for a completely different type of tide. I find I really have fun on this board though.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-15-2015, 12:42 PM Reply   
I just picked up my 160 last week and bought some hyperlite focus bindings for it. I haven't ridden it yet, probably wont be until next weekend. Although the only feedback I would be able to give is how well a fat man can get up on a wakeboard....lol. I can only say the board is huge!!!!!!!!!!

Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-24-2015, 8:38 AM Reply   
I just picked up a 160 and will be riding it next week. I have been riding a 145 Response for the last couple years. First observation is this board has a lot of flex, like the old Slingshot boards which I like. I will hopefully get some video of riding. I am 6'4" 205.
Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       06-24-2015, 3:05 PM Reply   
i got the nomad 150 a couple weeks ago (coming off a windsor 141). Love how fast the board is on the water and butter soft landings. Yet to try it on cable, but looking forward to it
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-24-2015, 3:07 PM Reply   
They have their new stuff out in a few weeks and I am looking forward to a bit stiffer version of this. I love the length, flex, landing, but just not enough pop for my 300 Lb butt.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-24-2015, 3:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalow View Post
They have their new stuff out in a few weeks and I am looking forward to a bit stiffer version of this. I love the length, flex, landing, but just not enough pop for my 300 Lb butt.
Haha. That is why I quit riding the Choice. Jeff House told me the pop is in the tail of the board. I personally am not good enough to time up tail pop. If they make one that is as stiff as the Blue Pill, aka center stiff, that board would be money.
Old     (TTyler89)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-24-2015, 9:37 PM Reply   
I finally got to ride my 160 behind the boat this evening and I can't say enough good things about this board. The ride is fast, the landings are soft, and the snap off the wake this thing has is unreal. I'm 6'2 220 and for the first time in a long time, wake boarding felt effortless again. I no longer drag in the water at the cable parks and the landings don't bother my knees. The one thing that took me a few jumps across the wake to figure out was that with all the extra real estate this board has, it wadded my legs up pretty good coming into the wake compared to my other boards. Once I got the timing and feel for the board, it easily put me up another 1.5-2 feet higher on my wake jumps with less effort. The board is just so much fun to ride. I cannot tell much if any difference in length from my other 142-145 boards, and with how thin the board is, weight is not anywhere close to being an issue. I left the boat with a smile today and a new favorite board.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-24-2015, 9:52 PM Reply   
Anyone near the Kansas City area have one they would be willing to let me demo? You're boat or mine makes no difference to me.
Really want to try one out but I've been so happy on the SS team series boards (Response / Recoil / Reflex) I haven't ventured out.

This one looks different enough I think I should demo before looking to buy one.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-26-2015, 5:42 PM Reply   
I have the 155. I'm 6'4" 200 lbs and moved up from 144 LF Witness. I love the board, like nothing before and not going back. Hope SS keeps this model and other manufacturers follow. The board is super light, great on inverts and spins. Get it!!!!!!!