Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-23-2015, 12:33 AM Reply   
[QUOTE=xstarrider;1911759]So I finally decided to take the plunge on the System Binding. Went with the Marek boot. I have been riding Ronix Ones since 09( new pair each season) and the Ronix cells from the day they came out til 09. . Decided it was time to just go for a change. The System appealed to me as I lock my boards in my boat during the summer so being able to just take the boots up to the house to dry was a nice feature.

I have got about 6 days on the bindings now and just thought I would give a review as I really didn't see anything recent out there.

The bindings are a little cumbersome to get in to. You have to in essence strap up twice. Boot itself and then into binding. I snowboard so this to me really isn't anything new. The first thing I noticed is the lateral stiffness. I know is the Marek is a stiffer boot, but the lateral movement is really next to zero when you buckle down the bindings. I play hockey a ton and like I said snowboard a lot as well so I like a little stiffer boot, but this is definitely a different stiff laterally. I really don't even lace the top section of the Mareks while in the Sytem binding hardly at all. Gives me a tad more flex. Even with a softer boot I still think laterally your going to be stiff just do to the strap on the System bindings. I am sure guys who like to bone stuff out may run the straps a little more loose in order to rotate a little.

Response toe to heel is almost instantaneous. It's really nice and effortless. No lag whatsoever. Some may like it some may not. I could see the benefit of this in the fact that the straps on the Systems will keep the bindings stiff and help them last longer unlike standard close toes which ultimately will wear out quicker.

I am not sure if I like the fact you're locked in much tighter than a normal ct binding. I like the fact you stay locked in, but it's also in back of my head taking a digger may hurt bit more because the board won't release. I have come out of the Ones a couple times on te hard edge catch. However the old argument of having both feet locked in rather than one popping loose and one staying in I can see as well. I have had my ankle get tweaked from coming half way out of a binding. Just some thoughts running through my head as I haven't really taken a huge digger. The Boa cinch really sucks the binding around my foot and gives the Mareks a great feel.

As far as landings......... I think it's about the same as the ct boots. Nothing special. I wasn't able to get set of pro's because the 14's were sold out everywhere. I could've went with 15's. But I am riding a 14 Marek so the clear goes real well with the Marek boot and board.

My only gripe that i am still in the process of figuring out is the fact you get more toe pressure in the boots because of the toe strap going over the top. I know cap straps are the rage in snowboarding so I am going to go out my next session and try running the toe strap that way as opposed to over the top.

The other thing that sticks out that isn't necessarily bad for me, but may be to some is that swimming can be be a challenge because the boots want to float you. So I am thinking a lot of cable guys may not want a system binding setup. All in all I don't think there is anything super special or any huge advantage of going system vs traditional. I think those wanting the most supportive binding on the market will appreciate the feel of both the boots and the binding straps , but those looking to really bone out their tricks may want a softer flexing ct boot setup.

Last edited by xstarrider; 05-23-2015 at 12:39 AM.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       05-26-2015, 5:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
I am not sure if I like the fact you're locked in much tighter than a normal ct binding. I like the fact you stay locked in, but it's also in back of my head taking a digger may hurt bit more because the board won't release. I have come out of the Ones a couple times on te hard edge catch. However the old argument of having both feet locked in rather than one popping loose and one staying in I can see as well. I have had my ankle get tweaked from coming half way out of a binding. Just some thoughts running through my head as I haven't really taken a huge digger. The Boa cinch really sucks the binding around my foot and gives the Mareks a great feel.
I've come out of my systems a few times, the ladders are made with a plastic soft enough to give if they're subjected to enough force. It will damage the ladders though and after a few ejections it'll be time for new ones. That's an easy phone call though.

Quote:
My only gripe that i am still in the process of figuring out is the fact you get more toe pressure in the boots because of the toe strap going over the top. I know cap straps are the rage in snowboarding so I am going to go out my next session and try running the toe strap that way as opposed to over the top.
Swimming in systems does get a little interesting. It's much easier for me to actually leave my board on and get it under me while I'm floating, then rock the board forward and backwards under me to sorta paddle me out of the cable lake. I'm not sure if I'm painting a very good picture of what I'm talking about, but next time you fall try getting your board under you and messing around until you can get yourself to move.

Quote:
The other thing that sticks out that isn't necessarily bad for me, but may be to some is that swimming can be be a challenge because the boots want to float you. So I am thinking a lot of cable guys may not want a system binding setup. All in all I don't think there is anything super special or any huge advantage of going system vs traditional. I think those wanting the most supportive binding on the market will appreciate the feel of both the boots and the binding straps , but those looking to really bone out their tricks may want a softer flexing ct boot setup.

The Marek bindings are the stiffest boot in the line, I had them in 2013 before going to Webb boots and am now on the Byerly model. The Webb and Byerly boots are much softer and I don't feel restricted in my range of motion like I did with my Marek boots. If you really are looking for more flex, there are people (myself included) that cut the highbacks down to just the base and ankle. I find I get a lot more freedom and don't lose much, if any, control of my board. That's just a personal preference thing though.