Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (skithemidwest)      Join Date: Oct 2020 Location: Dębica Send a message via ICQ to skithemidwest       02-16-2021, 1:18 PM Reply   
Hello interested to hear the internets opinion.

I am looking at getting my first boat and have two leads right now. I think I will likely primarily use the boat for skiing and surfing (50/50) with some occasional wake skating. I am looking at a 2012 Moomba Outback V (550ish hours) and a 07 Malibu VTX (630ish hours) on diamond hull. Both are pretty similarly priced and based on pictures appear cosmetically well maintained.

Neither have dedicated surf system but both have similar amount of plumbed ballast.

Some questions for the community:

Does anybody have any experience with these to compare the slalom wake? (pics or vids appreciated)

Likewise has anybody had major issues creating a surf able wave on either of these?

Any major issues with these model years?

The Moomba is about 1.5hrs away and the Malibu is about 9 but if its the better of the two options a one time drive shouldn't really make a difference.

Thanks in advance for the input.
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-17-2021, 8:52 AM Reply   
I cannot give any first hand knowledge of either boat.

I think the consensus would be the Malibu.

You are mixing surfing and skiing which means you are sacrificing on both.

The outback was Moomba's direct drive ski boat, the V is the same boat with a v-drive set up. It should ski well but will have a low freeboard.

Malibu has marketed the VTX as an "all around boat" since its inception. On the diamond hull it should ski well, equal to the Moomba +/-. It should have a higher freeboard better suited for surfing when you start adding ballast, listing, etc.

Good Luck with your purchase.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       02-18-2021, 6:24 AM Reply   
I'd go VTX all day for what you're wanting to do. I had friends with an Outback V, and with the base motor wouldn't even make it up to my slalom speed (may have been propped down, but certainly was lacking on hole shot and top end). The slalom wake was also nothing special, where-as the diamond hull VTX is probably the best slaloming V-drive out there. Fit and finish will also be better on the Malibu. Both of them being smaller boats won't surf great, but they're both doable with some extra weight.