Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-03-2009, 2:41 PM Reply   
I bought a 3 bank on board batt charger.
I want to have it mounted permenetly, with the cord wired to a water proof thru hull connecter in the back. That way, all I have to do is plug in an extention cord when I get home.

I'm having trouble finding a nice thru hull fitting. I found a cheap plastic one at west marine, but I'm looking for a stainless or chrome one.

HELP!!!
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-03-2009, 7:10 PM Reply   
Are you looking for plugs like this...
http://www.iboats.com/Boatside_Power_Inlet_Stainless_Steel/dm/attr_id.1403--cart_id.314765388--session_id.653881043--view_id.216600
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-03-2009, 7:17 PM Reply   
Or this...

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|328|49758|299260|319691&id=52601
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-03-2009, 7:21 PM Reply   
Or this....

http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/xcart/catalog/product_11661_Marinco_303SSELB_30Amp_125V_SS_Inlet .html
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-03-2009, 7:34 PM Reply   
Or this...

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/37804/377%20710%201637/0/Shore%20Power/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710%201637&Ne=0&Ntt=Shore%20Power&Ntx=mo de%20matchallpartial&page=CategoryDisplayLevel1&is LTokenURL=true&storeNum=5002&subdeptNum=9&classNum =311
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-04-2009, 3:45 AM Reply   
That's exactly the type I'm looking for. But I want it in a 15 amp version. I want to be able to plug a normal extention corn into it.

I do like the stainless, with the water tight cap though.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-04-2009, 7:10 AM Reply   
Joe, they make an adapter pigtail from the twist lock plug to a standard household. (or you can make your own)
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-04-2009, 9:20 AM Reply   
Joe,

The black 15-amp plastic fixture you described is available in white also. We typically install the plastic inlets within the rear storage locker (next to the engine compartment) so you have external access without having to enter the boat. Just step up, raise the hatch and plug-in. In this case its hidden from view and you don't have to to drill out the hull.

You could use the nicer stainless 30 amp fixture for an external application with a 15 amp to 30 amp converting cord or adapter.

Marinco also makes a lower profile stainless/chrome 30 amp fixture than the ones shown above.

In any case, the external stainless/chrome or nylon/stainless insert versions will have the 30 amp pattern and will need converting.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-05-2009, 3:45 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info guys. But I'm not sure what to do now. Back to the drawing board.
Old     (rob_pitchford)      Join Date: Nov 2004       11-05-2009, 11:32 AM Reply   
David

I have seen some of your installs where you add the inboard charger. Is there one particular brand that you prefer?I also have a two battery set up and a Perko switch - any issues with the charger and the Perko switch?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-05-2009, 4:00 PM Reply   
Rob,

The Perko switch works in conjunction with the charger. You'll use the Perko switch in the 'OFF' position while charging to isolate the two charging banks so each battery is individually conditioned according to its needs. Otherwise, you would just as easily use a single bank charger.

We use the following:
1.) Guest 2611A 5+5 dual bank charger.
2.) A CTEK 7 amp for the stereo battery and a CTEK 3 amp for the starting battery.
3.) ProMariner ProSport 20 10 + 10 dual bank charger.
4.) Dual Pro for larger systems.
5.) Progressive Dynamics for the largest systems.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (big_b_21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-05-2009, 4:17 PM Reply   
Here is the Guest that we had installed in the last boat.

Upload
Old     (rob_pitchford)      Join Date: Nov 2004       11-07-2009, 1:58 PM Reply   
Thanks David. pdx wake - are you happy with the charger? Any drawbacks to this particular charger or would you use a different model next time?
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-07-2009, 3:01 PM Reply   
I would one of those plugs above in one of the rear side lockers. Easy to get too and out of sight. Plug it in and close the side locker. Just a thought.
Old     (big_b_21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-07-2009, 4:17 PM Reply   
Rob, No problems with the one we had. Looking at adding one to the new boat this winter. I will stick with the same model. This is the same charger that MC puts in their newer boats.
Old     (black_ops_09)      Join Date: May 2009       11-07-2009, 5:32 PM Reply   
I will take pic of mine, and no holes to drill, and cheap..
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-13-2009, 8:59 PM Reply   
I picked up a Guest 2611 charger & am looking at doing the install tomorrow. The instructions say "The charger should have at least eight inches of unobstructed area on all sides of the unit for cooling. The case of the unit will become warm during operation. Do not install the charger on carpeted, upholstered or varnished surfaces".

My batteries are located under the spotters seat of the Vride. That compartment is pretty heavily carpeted. Not to mention has quite a bit of stereo gear in it too. So I'm thinking about where & how I'm going to mount this thing. Maybe screw it to a piece of wood/plastic, then screw that to a compartment wall?
Old     (moon)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-14-2009, 6:33 AM Reply   
Bill, that is the same charger I have, and I installed it under my spotter seat. I called guest and asked them about installing in that compartment and he said it would be fine. Instead of using wood, I went to the hardware store and picked up 4 plastic cylinders (spacers). I had to mount the unit where you can see the 4 heads of the screws in the inner wall of the boat, so I went with stainless steal screws and rivets (i think that's what they are called). It looks pretty good, but I don't have any pictures since I removed my batteries and the charger this week for the winter. Also, just for precautions I remove the spotter seat when it is plugged in so there is more air to circulate throughout the compartment.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-14-2009, 9:34 AM Reply   
Bill,

It sounds like they're being extra cautious in consideration of liability. I've never known these chargers to get that warm, certainly not to the degree that amplifiers do.

We often use a mounting panel as more of an adapter for a tighter screw pattern when attaching to a slightly curved surface for example. Using plastic spacers or aluminum tube/sleeves over the screws would stand off the charger and provide circulation behind the chassis too. I like to use a small aluminum tube cut to length with a hack saw... Available at every hardware store.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-14-2009, 11:32 AM Reply   
NOOOOOOOOO!!!
I had that exact same charger (Guest). Last year, it killed 3 Optima D31M's in my boat. It went bad and took my batteries with it. Get a better charger.

(Message edited by 266crownlinebr on November 14, 2009)
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-14-2009, 2:57 PM Reply   
Hmmm, wish you'd said something sooner, 266. I did some homework on these things. The Guest charger has a 2 yr warranty. And ratings are as good or better than anything else I found, ie; BatteryTender, ProMariner, etc.

So the only space I have open is on the walk thru side of the compartment behind the spotter's seat. Moon, I understand you thru bolted yours, and I'm more than willing to do that. But it's pretty far away from the batteries so I'd have to lengthen the wires on the charger. There is a fiberglass wall just underneath the spotter's seat bottom. It would be open on 3 sides, and be close to something on the top & bottom. I can leave that seat open when using the charger so it would vent better. And it would be close enough to the batteries to not have to lengthen any wires.

It's hard to tell but looks like this is where PDXWake's charger is mounted too.
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-15-2009, 11:51 AM Reply   
I wish that I had found out sooner. It lasted one winter, but not the second. I was already out of the warranty by the time I realized. Besides, two years is just for the charger. They wouldn't replace my batteries. Anyone need 3 Optima D31M's that won't charge above 2VDC? Good for ballast.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-15-2009, 4:31 PM Reply   
Yea, I have an Optima Blue Top with the same problem, and I haven't had a charger on it at all.
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-15-2009, 8:09 PM Reply   
I changed out the Optimas for Exide Nautilus batteries. Figure if I am going to buy new batteries every other year, I might as well go with the cheap ones ($75ea vs $230ea).
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-16-2009, 9:49 AM Reply   
This won't salvage all batteries but its worth a shot because it will work if the battery doesn't have a major defect.

Once the battery is allowed to discharge well below 10 volts, an AC charger, especially a smaller one, immediately goes into 'protect'.

Set the battery aside with a fully charged battery and jump them. Leave them alone for several hours. If the battery is salvageable then the charge will level to the point the charger can take over.

If the battery will take a full charge then check it 24 hours later. It shouldn't self-discharge by any measurable degree in that time span.

Also, if I remember correctly, Brett Yates (Polarbill) sells batteries, so he may have a method.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-16-2009, 2:58 PM Reply   
I took all three of mine to Checker and left them on their charging system for 24+ hours. They wouldn't take a charge.