Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (420at)      Join Date: Feb 2014       07-02-2015, 8:12 PM Reply   
What are some good used boats that work well out of the box that I can surf/wakeboard on? I had a 97 vlx sunset term and wasn't excited having to fill up 3 bags, manually throw the wedge up and down and shift people around just to wakeboard, and then re-adjust everything when surfing came along (not to mention I ride goofy and everyone else rides regular).

I'd like to spend $25-50k on a boat that has internal ballasts (if I need to add more ballasts, I will as long as it's all hidden and I can plumb in easily), and has a type of surf system. I would also be willing to install an aftermarket surf system as long as I know it will work and have good results.

I'd also like the following (not mandatory, but preferred):

-Walk way through the back of the boat (so the sun deck doesn't get trampled on and worn any faster, like the new Nautiques have)
-surf system
-internal front/center and rear ballast
-perfect pass or equivalent
-$25k-$40k preferred, $50k max

Not too sure what to look for as there are so many options out there. I get lost and don't know what surf systems can go on what boats either for aftermarket.

Thanks for any guidance.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-02-2015, 8:17 PM Reply   
FWIW -

We just bought a 04' LSV (wakesetter) with MLS ballast rear, front, and center; it also has the wedge. --- $24k

Two "tank buster" kits from wakemakers and 1100# bags in the rear .... hidden, and a 30 min install per side -- $400 for all (via ebay)

... everything is on a switch, bags are all hidden, and it surfs great even with just two people in the boat. $24.5k all in and it has been great.
Old     (420at)      Join Date: Feb 2014       07-02-2015, 9:01 PM Reply   
That sounds like you got a good deal! I've heard that the surf gate can be installed on older Malibu boats, do you know what years it works with?

I forgot to mention I have two 400lb v drive fatsacs, along with two tube sacs 370lbs each, I just hated having the fill each one up dependant on what we're doing at that time. I want them all on a switch and automatic.

How do you fill your boat to surf?
Old     (Ewok01)      Join Date: Apr 2013       07-02-2015, 10:13 PM Reply   
-Walk way through the back of the boat (so the sun deck doesn't get trampled on and worn any faster, like the new Nautiques have)

Tige 22/24Ve series or 07-08 RZ2/4

-surf system

Going to have to do aftermarket, like Go Surf Assist

Best to get a boat without ballast and add it yourself, you can plumb in a huge system for under 3k

Older Tige's have some issues with their cruise control, make sure you water demo anything

It's possible to get a 40k boat and add a surf system and ballast to stay under 50k
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-03-2015, 9:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
How do you fill your boat to surf?
For surfing usually its:

Front and Center full
Rear surf side (always port side) as full as the bag will get in the locker, I guess 900 lbs.
Wedge down (we have manual so its all or nothing)
everyone but driver on the port side.

.... wave is pretty darn big with a good push .... not as long of a pocket as newer boats, but a surf gate retro fit may help that too.

The tankbuster kit is great, uses same switches and pumps as stock, it just allows you to piggyback and/or replace the stock hard tanks with bigger bags. Its like 30 mins of pulling out the old and connecting their supplied new tubing to the bags and its good to go.... I highly recommend for any boat the have a kit for.
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-03-2015, 9:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewok01 View Post

Tige 22/24Ve series or 07-08 RZ2/4

-surf system

Going to have to do aftermarket, like Go Surf Assist

Best to get a boat without ballast and add it yourself, you can plumb in a huge system for under 3k

Older Tige's have some issues with their cruise control, make sure you water demo anything

It's possible to get a 40k boat and add a surf system and ballast to stay under 50k
+1 to doing the ballast yourself.

You'll be looking at an older boat, so whatever is in it won't be the best for surfing. Just make sure the storage compartments are big... Enough for at least 1000lbs in the rear lockers, maybe some room under the side seats along the boat.

If you find the right boat with lots of storage and do your own ballast system, you'll be pumping lots of water fast and hopefully won't feel the need to add ballast on the seats... unless you're going for a Big day.
Old     (kronoss)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-09-2015, 9:36 PM Reply   
I got the perfect boat for you

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2012-Tig...ida-48423.aspx

Photos here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/125360...57651909987835
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-10-2015, 4:59 PM Reply   
My boat -

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2012-MB-...ona-48625.aspx

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/boa/5097535208.html
Old     (tsanfilippo)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-04-2021, 10:22 AM Reply   
I have a 2001 Ski Centurion Hurricane. It's an Elite-v. (v-drive) The boat wake boards, surfs and water ski's very nice. Great all round boat and prices range from 20 not in perfect shape may need some tlc-38K nicely outfitted in good condition with low hours, current covid pricing LOL.

They have other Elite-v's in the 2000-2003 years. Not sure of the differences, but I know the Hurricane is awesome!
Old     (tsanfilippo)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-04-2021, 10:34 AM Reply   
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sGX...ew?usp=sharing

Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       05-04-2021, 2:03 PM Reply   
Not sure if you guys realize the op asked this question 6 years ago. I'm sure he has made a decision by now
Old     (Koolaid)      Join Date: Feb 2018       06-03-2021, 4:41 AM Reply   
I like to think he has been patiently waiting at his PC this whole entire time for enough people to chime in.
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       06-04-2021, 10:02 AM Reply   
All those boats suggested would probably sell for more now than they did 6 years ago!